own seat or in arms for 5 month old on a flight? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 09-16-2010, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to fight with a United FA recently to install my daughter's seat rear-facing. She tried to tell me that it was not allowed because it was MUCH less safe and "just think of what would happen in a crash!" (clearly she isn't a physics major!). I was pleased that I had brought the manual with me and could point to where it said to install it the same way as in a car and could then point to the rear-facing instructions for cars. It was definitely just that FA -- we've flown United many times and always had her in a rear-facing car seat without comment. I was stressed about it while trying to very politely assert my position -- you can get thrown off planes for arguing with flight attendants if you're not very careful to stay polite and calm.
#32 of 33 Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 AM

I haven't flown with my baby but if I did I would buy her a seat. For her safety, to avoid damage to the seat from checking, and for my own sanity. My daughter is wiggly and doesn't like to be still. Trying to hold her in my lap for ninety minutes would drive me insane and cause her to fuss and bother everyone else.

The only time I would ever fly with a lap baby is if it were an emergency and I really could not afford one. I have enough credit that I would still probably just charge it and deal with it later.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#33 of 33 Old 09-18-2010, 04:06 PM

I'm a former Flight Attendant and just to clarify a couple of points;

1. Yes, you are allowed to install a car seat rfing on the airplane. They recently came out with a "clarification" (which I'll try to find) stating that as long as the seat is installed per the manufacturers' instructions, it's good to go.

2. Be sure to remove your baby from the baby carrier for take-off and landing. Having the baby attached to you in any form is dangerous. Your body weight is more than your babies so they don't have a chance if anything goes wrong. Since they don't have a car seat, they're actually safer loose in your lap.

I used to take the passenger's shoulder and gently push it forward to show them what would happen in forward impact. Needless to say, they took their babies out quickly!

Those double seat belts or "belly belts" are banned by U.S. and Canadian air authorities for this reason.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page