What Type of Carseat Cover/Blanket do you prefer? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What type of Carseat Cover do you prefer?
Bunting/Sleeping Bag type that zips up the sides 8 27.59%
The ones that elastic over the top with the Peep hole 16 55.17%
The blankets the cover that velro around the handles 1 3.45%
Other 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really wish that this wasn't a debate... we all want the absolutely safest way to ride in the car and keep our children warm. Every time this subject comes up it always comes to the same thing. A blanket statement based on the idea of a very bad product.

Like slings and baby carriers, not all are made alike. I teach babywearing classes and I advocate for babywearing and safety. Just because there are some very dangerous carriers out there like the Infantino slingrider which have been the cause of deaths, I would not say to not use any sling like many people have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
My point of view is that having spoken to the head of Transport Canada's car seat division, who is a Forensic Physicist, and listening to her talk about the babies who have died from using Bundle Me's and similar (the sleeping bag style) I will never use one myself, and I will advocate heavily against them.
Ahhh... the scare tactics....

I honestly wouldn't use most of them either and I do explain to people that they are no safe.... except for the ones that have nothing between the baby and the seat...(and again a fleece coat is by definition more material between baby and seat)

Even on the car-seat forums there are people that use the Bundle me with the back cut out...

Any way.. The best thing is to make an informed decision and figure out what works best for you...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#32 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye View Post
Ahhh... the scare tactics....

I honestly wouldn't use most of them either and I do explain to people that they are no safe.... except for the ones that have nothing between the baby and the seat...(and again a fleece coat is by definition more material between baby and seat)

Even on the car-seat forums there are people that use the Bundle me with the back cut out...

Any way.. The best thing is to make an informed decision and figure out what works best for you...
Is stating a true fact scare tactics now? Yes people use a bundle me with the back cut out, but that's a fairly elaborate process and it isn't exactly the same as using one off the shelf.

Talk to Barbara Baines. She isn't exactly conservative in her views. She's fine with children going FF at a year and 22lbs, she thinks kids are fine in boosters once they hit 40lbs. But she thinks that sleeping bag style infant covers are deadly. And since she's got a ton of education and 20 years experience in the field, I'll take her word for it.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#33 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
Is stating a true fact scare tactics now? Yes people use a bundle me with the back cut out, but that's a fairly elaborate process and it isn't exactly the same as using one off the shelf.

Talk to Barbara Baines. She isn't exactly conservative in her views. She's fine with children going FF at a year and 22lbs, she thinks kids are fine in boosters once they hit 40lbs. But she thinks that sleeping bag style infant covers are deadly. And since she's got a ton of education and 20 years experience in the field, I'll take her word for it.
Yes, I know, she is the one that finally convinced me to turn my 9 month old because he was over the weight limit for the seats in Canada at the time...

And that is exactly my point, the Kokoon is an off the shelf product that works like the bundle-me with the back cut out. There is no elaborate process... It is made like that.

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#34 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 PM

Since we're debating the Kokkoon and I had never seen it, I googled for an image and found this. http://www.bummis.com/ca/en/kokoon-safety-letter.php

"While not required by law, Bummis decided to perform a crash test to investigate these concerns. In June 2002, the Impact Facility Group conducted the test at Defense Research and Development Canada in Toronto. The infant car seat, used in conjunction with the Kokkoon, met or exceeded CMVSS 213.1. Parents can be reassured that the Kokkoon is safer than many snowsuits or bunting bags. While the Kokkoon is an after market product, it is constructed so as not to interfere with the functioning of the car seat. Please note that our testing applies to the Kokkoon only and not to any other after market products offered by other companies."

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
#35 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutritionistmom View Post
Since we're debating the Kokkoon and I had never seen it, I googled for an image and found this. http://www.bummis.com/ca/en/kokoon-safety-letter.php

"While not required by law, Bummis decided to perform a crash test to investigate these concerns. In June 2002, the Impact Facility Group conducted the test at Defense Research and Development Canada in Toronto. The infant car seat, used in conjunction with the Kokkoon, met or exceeded CMVSS 213.1. Parents can be reassured that the Kokkoon is safer than many snowsuits or bunting bags. While the Kokkoon is an after market product, it is constructed so as not to interfere with the functioning of the car seat. Please note that our testing applies to the Kokkoon only and not to any other after market products offered by other companies."
Not to criticise the Kokkoon (I've never seen one, but it seems better than the BundleMe's so I will reserve judgement) "crash tested" can mean anything unfortunately. There is no standard testing for any aftermarket products. CMVSS 213.1 is the testing that infant seats have to pass, but testing an aftermarket product to pass CMVSS doesn't really mean much.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#36 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchycanadian View Post
Not to criticise the Kokkoon (I've never seen one, but it seems better than the BundleMe's so I will reserve judgement) "crash tested" can mean anything unfortunately. There is no standard testing for any aftermarket products. CMVSS 213.1 is the testing that infant seats have to pass, but testing an aftermarket product to pass CMVSS doesn't really mean much.
I read that to mean that the seat passed the testing with the use of the Kokkoon, which if it impacted the use of the harness it would not. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#37 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I read that to mean that the seat passed the testing with the use of the Kokkoon, which if it impacted the use of the harness it would not. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I see what you mean, I've just seen some particularly tricky wording for "crash testing". I'm not saying the Kokkoon is dangerous, like I said before I think from what I see online it seems much better than BundleMe's and other bunting bags, I just reccomend taking the "crash testing" with a grain of salt. It can literally mean they threw it against the wall and it didn't break, therefore crash tested.

lady.gif Kaitlyn,partners.gif Sweetheart To My Prince Charming reading.gif & Mama To My Fur-baby flowerkitty.gif
#38 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just kind of strolling in here. What do y'all think of this kind?
I don't need anything really heavy duty but I'm due in December (in Texas) and then moving to Michigan in February.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#39 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I see what you mean, I've just seen some particularly tricky wording for "crash testing". I'm not saying the Kokkoon is dangerous, like I said before I think from what I see online it seems much better than BundleMe's and other bunting bags, I just reccomend taking the "crash testing" with a grain of salt. It can literally mean they threw it against the wall and it didn't break, therefore crash tested.
I hear you about the "crash testing". I'm fairly certain you can't claim a product meets the CMVSS unless Barb's crashed it though. I can email her or Deanna from SeatsforKidsCanada (she does all Barb's trainings in this area). It's not going to get me to endorse the Kokkoon, but now I'm kind of curious.
To be continued...

#40 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
Just kind of strolling in here. What do y'all think of this kind?
I don't need anything really heavy duty but I'm due in December (in Texas) and then moving to Michigan in February.
That looks like a showercap style to me, it just goes over the seat, doesn't go under baby at all and those are safe and awesome

Quote:
I hear you about the "crash testing". I'm fairly certain you can't claim a product meets the CMVSS unless Barb's crashed it though. I can email her or Deanna from SeatsforKidsCanada (she does all Barb's trainings in this area). It's not going to get me to endorse the Kokkoon, but now I'm kind of curious.
To be continued...
Let me know what you find out! I'd love to know what Barb says. Heck, if I could have a bunting style cover to reccomend I might be able to talk parents out of the BundleMe's easier!

#41 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
That looks like a showercap style to me, it just goes over the seat, doesn't go under baby at all and those are safe and awesome
Thank you. Just wanted to be sure before I bought it.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#42 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

thats probably the kind i'll end up going with but i think they look kinda goofy haha

Married Busy Mom to DSS 01/05, DD 11/05, DSD 11/06, DD 02/07, DS 03/08 and baby on the way 11/10
#43 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Thank you Paxye for the pictures! That was very helpful. It does indeed look like it would be ok to use with the seat, although I will continue to recommend the shower-cap style to avoid confusion with the BundleMe

CPST & mom

#44 of 45 Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM

I had a shower cap type one and it freaked me out to use it. I was always afraid it was going to suffucate DD. Luckily it never got super cold (beach city in California) so my DH would run out and warm up the car and I would carry her out to the car when it was already warm. She wore a jacket outside but I would take it off when we got into the car. It was easiest to say no jackets than try to explain to DH/other family members why one was ok and another wasn't.

We live on an island now where the coldest it gets is in the 40s. I guess one time a REALLY long time ago it snowed but I doubt it will do that again. Im going to make a blanket to attach to the car seat handle for added warmth in the beginning and then to block the sun when it gets sunny.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#45 of 45 Old 09-17-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Honestly I would make a blanket statement saying nothing that goes between the carseat and the child, or the child and the straps, should be used. There is too much room for error. I don't care how thin the fleece is, sorry! A fleece outfit/jacket, and a blanket over top (with or without a showercap style cover) is your best bet. In the coldest of climates, a fleece bunting or jacket, blanket, and showercap cover is going to keep the child plenty warm in the time it takes to get out to the car, or from the car to the store, etc.

Bummis actually performed a crash test with infant seats in conjunction with the Kookoon and it met or exceeded the standard.

http://www.bummis.com/ca/en/kokoon-safety-letter.php

Quote:
In June 2002, the Impact Facility Group conducted the test at Defense Research and Development Canada in Toronto. The infant car seat, used in conjunction with the Kokkoon, met or exceeded CMVSS 213.1.
ETA: I see this has already been covered : but I personally would be comfortable using something like the Kokoon.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page