Mothering Forum banner

Fire escape ladders

491 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  St. Margaret 
#1 ·
Anybody able to recommend a 2-story fire escape ladder that a 4 year old could (with help) climb down if necessary? There was a huge gas explosion last night in my area, and it has reminded me that I've always meant to buy fire escape ladders.

Deets: Both bedrooms are on the 2nd floor of a 2-story townhouse with removable sliding windows. Not that I personally know how to remove them. That's also on my fire-safety list.

#2 ·
Just
about being near the fire-- my sis lives pretty near and had just driven through the area. YIKES, scary, and so sad.

We keep an escape ladder right by our windows in the bedroom. DD (3yo) could never get one set up and out on her own, so we plan we'd either take the ladder with us to her room (if the fire was on the other side more) or go and grab her and go down out our window (both rooms are near each other, small home). I'll try to check the brand name for you next time I'm upstairs (DH's office right now
). We know the window opens easily, we can punch out the screens (or cut with the scissors and such right there, if say the metal got too hot somehow), and the ladder just hangs over the windowsill/frame. If I had to, DD would sit on the desk while I climbed over, then I'd help her get set and we'd go down with me just below her (if DH was gone, say). With a new baby coming, I always have a wrap upstairs, or a sheet in a pinch.

We haven't exactly done a family safety run-through, since climbing down is dangerous, too (DD does know about staying low, away from smoke, feel doors/handles first, etc), but it's nice to have a plan thought through at least. Good thinking!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.