TRAUMATIC car rides - DESPERATE for help!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
really? It's safe to have a car seat in the front as long as there's no airbag or it's deactivated??
What about side airbags, do they have to be deactivated too?

What are the laws about seats in the front seat in the US? I thought it was only ok if there was not another seat available....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 47 Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rearfacing in the front seat is supposed to be safe, according to the Swedes, as long as there is no airbag. I don't know about how side body airbags affect car seat installs (I know in my dh's Mercedes SLK the special child seats for it only turn off the front airbag, not the side airbag, so I would assume that one doesn't matter). Side curtain airbags, which cover windows only usually, are fine.

Laws about when children can ride up front vary from state to state. In my state it's children under 12 that cannot, WHENVER PRACTICAL. So in a two seater, all other seats used, or even other seats folded flat to haul a load, a child up front could be justified.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#33 of 47 Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
really? It's safe to have a car seat in the front as long as there's no airbag or it's deactivated??
Swedish researchers apparently say yes, US researchers say no.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#34 of 47 Old 10-12-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Swedish researchers apparently say yes, US researchers say no.
is there research in the US on it? Or is it just a theory?
#35 of 47 Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 PM

Yes, NHTSA has done the research. I don't have it in linkable form, but it's out there.

#36 of 47 Old 10-12-2010, 05:06 PM

So what's the speculation on the differing results?

Different cars? Different car seats? I'm very curious....
#37 of 47 Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking carsickness like a pp. My son had that. It's a tough situation to figure out...OP did changing the seat help at all?

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#38 of 47 Old 10-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
So what's the speculation on the differing results?

Different cars? Different car seats? I'm very curious....
The major difference is that in Europe, cars are made with airbags that have keyed switches, but in the US it's very very rare to find a passenger car with a usable backseat, that has a keyed airbag switch.

CPST & mom

#39 of 47 Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
The major difference is that in Europe, cars are made with airbags that have keyed switches, but in the US it's very very rare to find a passenger car with a usable backseat, that has a keyed airbag switch.
Quite frankly, it's hard to find ANY cars anymore that have a keyed switch. Even a lot of 2 seaters just have sensors, so you cannot install a car seat in that seat rfing at all (unless you buy a special car seat that turns off the sensor in a few vehicles).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#40 of 47 Old 10-13-2010, 12:12 AM

There was a picture of a brand new Audi floating around that has a switch (not a keyed switch, but a manual button versus a weight sensor) for the airbags, but that's the only new car I've seen with a switch.

ETA: and the regulations are changing I believe in 2011 or 2012 where new trucks and cars w/out a usable backseat (ie 2- seaters) don't have to have a keyed switch anymore, but can instead just use a weight sensor

CPST & mom

#41 of 47 Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 AM

My dad has a toyota pickup w/o a backseat thats a couple yrs old now and it doesn't have a switch either - just a sensor. I don't get it. I really, really don't.
#42 of 47 Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I don't understand... so the studies have compared the safety of the front seat with no airbag to the safety in the US where we can't turn the airbags off? That's not a comparison at all...

Also, aren't there ways that you have have the passenger airbag disabled by the dealer?
#43 of 47 Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Passenger airbags cannot be disabled without a waiver from NHTSA, and they require a better reason than "I'd rather put my kid in the front"; plus, even with a waiver, very few mechanics will actually disable the airbag.

I think I've read studies that try to control for airbags and still find the front less safe, but I'm not sure. I'm comfortable with the idea that things are different enough in Sweden (vehicles, traffic, driving habits, etc.) that what holds true there may not hold true here, and since I drive here and educate people here, I'll go with what "our" research shows.

#44 of 47 Old 10-13-2010, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i am curious too OP if a new seat took care of the problem. a tight crotch. OUCH!!!!

i know when my dd SCREAMS like your dd did, there is SOMETHING for SURE going on.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#45 of 47 Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
Passenger airbags cannot be disabled without a waiver from NHTSA, and they require a better reason than "I'd rather put my kid in the front"; plus, even with a waiver, very few mechanics will actually disable the airbag.

I think I've read studies that try to control for airbags and still find the front less safe, but I'm not sure. I'm comfortable with the idea that things are different enough in Sweden (vehicles, traffic, driving habits, etc.) that what holds true there may not hold true here, and since I drive here and educate people here, I'll go with what "our" research shows.
Very well said

CPST & mom

#46 of 47 Old 10-14-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
ETA: and the regulations are changing I believe in 2011 or 2012 where new trucks and cars w/out a usable backseat (ie 2- seaters) don't have to have a keyed switch anymore, but can instead just use a weight sensor
Yuck! I'd never trust those weight sensors. The shifting weight of my purse & laptop is enough to turn my passenger airbag on or off as I drive. I'd think that the weight of a carseat + child would likely leave the airbag on frequently (some of those seats are heavy!).
#47 of 47 Old 10-14-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaS57 View Post
Yuck! I'd never trust those weight sensors. The shifting weight of my purse & laptop is enough to turn my passenger airbag on or off as I drive. I'd think that the weight of a carseat + child would likely leave the airbag on frequently (some of those seats are heavy!).
I would think that when a seat was strapped down, it would definitely trigger the weight sensor (or not, I mean that the airbag would be on). That's just craziness!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page