can't take baby home from hospital w/o bucket seat? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beep View Post
We walked home from the hospital. The pediatricians tried to tell us that we HAD to leave by car, with a carseat, and we just stood our ground. We live as close to the hospital as its parking garage, and don't own a car, so that made no sense at all. We did tell them that if they wished to lay eyes on our carseat, DH would bring it, then take it home and come back to walk home with me and the baby. In the end, they settled for having us just tell them the brand & model of the seat and making sure it was not on the recall list. The nurse walked us to the door of the hospital looking kind of perplexed as to what to do next, so we just said goodbye and kept on walking! It was night and very cold, and DS was wrapped up in three blankets like a burrito. I was glad we didn't need to unwrap him to install him in his convertible seat in a cold car. I also didn't want to put him down and was happy to have him in my arms.
Our hospital didn't get too freaked out when we walked home, but the nursing station felt compelled to call and let security know that we'd be walking out with a newborn.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
Our hospital didn't get too freaked out when we walked home, but the nursing station felt compelled to call and let security know that we'd be walking out with a newborn.
That seems reasonable to me, though. They've got security all alerted because of all the hype about people apparently trying to steal babies, so security would probably stop you. The nurses were probably just trying to make sure you wouldn't be stopped and bothered on your way out.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 09-29-2010, 04:10 PM

At the hospital I was in they wanted to see the carseat, I told them I had it installed by a CPST and didn't want to mess up the install, but they could go look, and they dropped the subject.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 PM

When we do an install at our clinics we provide paperwork for the person to take with them. We tell them just to show it to the nurse if it's a convertible. At our hospital here they just want to make sure you have a car seat...somewhere. Most of them don't even know how to check if the baby is properly restrained in it. But that's another thread.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
Old 10-01-2010, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I know it's not true, but still sounds like another good reason not to have baby in a hospital in the first place. Avoiding hospital ignorance -- priceless.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutritionistmom View Post
When we do an install at our clinics we provide paperwork for the person to take with them. We tell them just to show it to the nurse if it's a convertible. At our hospital here they just want to make sure you have a car seat...somewhere. Most of them don't even know how to check if the baby is properly restrained in it. But that's another thread.
That is an excellent idea

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM

I'm in Edmonton.

We did use a bucket when DD was a NB, but they didn't check the seat for recalls or anything. they checked the Transport Canada sticker and they checked to make sure that she was buckled in correctly- straps were tight enough but not too tight (passed the "two finger test") and that the chest clip was at armpit height, then sent us on our way.

They didn't check to see if it was installed correctly.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustLia23 View Post
I know it's not true, but still sounds like another good reason not to have baby in a hospital in the first place. Avoiding hospital ignorance -- priceless.
Indeed. If only I lived in a part of the world that had options for midwife attended homebirth, or was not too far away from a hospital for me to feel comfortable with a UC .

caffix.gif

Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 PM

A nurse told my friend that she would need to return her seat (the true fit) and buy a bucket before she could leave with the baby. She explained the kind of seat and the nurse said she would have to see it before the release.

She called me to come and re-install in case the crazy nurse tried to make her, but she had a really sweet discharge nurse who waved us away with a baby in Mom's arms with our short explanation.

In the end, offer to sign out Against Medical Advise... I would do that sooner than re-install a convertible in a cold parking lot, day(s) post-partum with a newborn in my arms... (and yeah, been there done that!)

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_shoshin View Post
A nurse told my friend that she would need to return her seat (the true fit) and buy a bucket before she could leave with the baby. She explained the kind of seat and the nurse said she would have to see it before the release.

She called me to come and re-install in case the crazy nurse tried to make her, but she had a really sweet discharge nurse who waved us away with a baby in Mom's arms with our short explanation.

In the end, offer to sign out Against Medical Advise... I would do that sooner than re-install a convertible in a cold parking lot, day(s) post-partum with a newborn in my arms... (and yeah, been there done that!)
I actually had the charge nurse on the maternity ward at the Moncton Hospital call me and ask what she should do when they encounter this situation. I told her that it's really preferable not to ask the parents to uninstall in this situation. I explained that the seat has perhaps been checked by a tech and the chance of the parent missing something or installing incorrectly when they've got a new baby in arms, it's cold out, or raining or whatever is quite high. She said, that's fine, they will just request that the parents sign a waiver and they can be on their way.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_ani View Post
When I had my fourth here (Ontario) they didn't even ask if we had a carseat when we left the hospital.
I was coming to post the same thing when I saw this, but then my younger two and mama_ani's fourth were born in the same hospital.

Fwiw with my second I left with him in arms and put him in a convrtible seat. With my third he was in a bucket but I left it in the car and wore him out in the sling. Neither time were we asked about carseats.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010

User Tag List