help me find a bike carrier or new bike haha - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sooooo i tried the whole trailer thing at the bike shop and hated it as well as DD hated it...

so i went with the weeride kangaroo carrier from walmart. yeah, it works but im 5'2 and have a 24" bike...soo its real tight space and DDs head gets knocked forward by my large chest and she kept wedging her head between my arm while riding...so i dont feel its safe enough for us.

no the ibert one im looking into...but its $80 plus shipping...and i dont get it how would i be able to see past her?

then there would be the ones you attach to the back of the bike...are those really as bad as everyone makes them out to be?

not that we can afford it but i have been looking into the boxcycle by christiana i LOVE IT then there is the cheaper but not as great madsen...i mean maybe i could get one but idk it is not wise money wise for us right now....

so what would you do? what do you like/dislike about any of those? reccomendations for anything else?

i did like the sidecart by chariot but $500 and only holds one kid...ouch!

TY everyone

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 4 Old 09-29-2010, 05:48 PM

We have rear seats for both our kids. They are fine.

I tried the weeride for DD2 but like you I am short and it was just too much bending to get round her. I now have a Globe Haul with a Hamax seat on the back--it is really comfortable and light, an easy ride. DH has a trek hybrid with a copilot on the back and that's nice as well (not as nice as mine though!) If I were you I would get a decent rear seat and see how much you are actually able to manage--it takes a lot of dedication to bike everwhere with your kid. I don't even though I love cycling. It's just so hard to carry all the stuff AND the kid on the bike.

TBH I think your DD might be a little young for biking. Have you found a helmet that fits her? DD1 was more like 20 months by the time we could get a helmet.

ETA: the christiana etc ARE gorgeous but all those dutch-type bikes are really heavy. I rode some the other week and I think they would have broken me even without a kid on!! What kind of bike have you got now?
#3 of 4 Old 09-30-2010, 02:36 AM

How old is your child? I have been able to find helmets for all of my kids around 12 months old...maybe even a tad earlier.

I ride with a seat on the back. It's not bad at all. I personally like the trailer the best though and all of my kids have protested at its use more than once but its the way we get around a lot of times so its kinda like having to get in a car seat but as they get older they love it even more.
#4 of 4 Old 09-30-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

i have a roadmaster bike i think its by schwinn. we found a helmet that fits her shes 12 months today!
will i be able to ride with a backpack (with the backseat on) b/c thats where i have been putting my stuff right now

trailers cost a lot more than a seat although some cargo might be nice.......

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page