One car-seat per kid for years or hand them down the line? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you buy a car seat for your kid in hopes it stays with the same kid as they age? Or do you go the route of buying one that will be passed down to younger sibling and the older kid gets new car seats?

We are planning on a new car seat for 15 month old daughter. We are also hoping to have another child in the next year. Do I buy a car seat that will do DD until 65lbs and then buy next child own car seat to do them to 65lbs? Or do I not worry about limit and just get oldest a new seat as they grow out of old seat and pass it down to younger child?

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 10:46 AM

Take what I say with a grain of salt, considering I only have one kid and she's six months old. But, I'm just thinking of the logistics.

First, I'm assuming the seat that your DD is in now is out of the picture and is not going to be passed down? Or, it's a bucket that will only be passed down for a short amount of time. So, I'm not going to enter it into the equation.

Option 1: So, if you get your DD a seat that RF to at least 40 and FF to 65, that might be the only harnessed seat she'll ever need, depending on shell height, right (not sure on that... since my baby is so young I haven't paid that close attention to older kids' needs)?

And, then you could get new baby the same thing- a seat that would be the only seat ever.

So, that's possibly only 2 convertible seats you'll ever need.

Option 2: You get the seat you like best, but maybe it only RFs to 30 and FF to 45 or something.

So, your next baby will also need a seat, and then maybe you get another seat like your DD's lower limit seat.

Eventually you have to buy your DD another harnessed seat. But, perhaps by the time 2nd kid needs a new seat your DD would be out of her higher limit seat and then could pass it down to 2nd baby.

So, with option 2 you're looking at at LEAST 3 seats total, but maybe more.

But, with option 1 there are a lot of unknowns also, such as will a seat come out later that has an even higher limit that you love. Also, by the time your DD is outgrowing whatever seat you get, by then there could be another seat that has an even higher limit.

Also, do you have a car that will fit the really high limit seats? I have a myride in my little kia, but I think DD will probably outgrow that by height before she outgrows by weight.

Hmmm. What I've realized is that I'm not any help at all on this matter and shouldn't post this response!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#3 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 AM

well with the math, your oldest won't even be 3 by the time the new one arrives. Are you planning extended rear facing? What do you have now or do you already have (bucket, convertible?)

I find the cost between the long lasting ones and the less lasting ones is not that huge, so it depends on how price sensitive you are too. I want the one that will last the longest, just out of my sense of wanting things to be well utilized. But I think some more info will help others answer

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#4 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
RhiOrion ... at least it's insteresting to follow your line or reasoning ...., to see what factors enter into the decision for another parent ...
#5 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 11:54 AM

We base it on our needs at the time as to who gets a new seat. So in this instance, I would get your 15 month old a seat that rear-faced to 40 pounds and forward faced to 65 pounds. When the baby is old enough that they have outgrown the baby seat they are in you can then look at your options again.

In our case DD got DS' Marathon shortly after she turned 6 months old. DS was close to the rear-facing limit, we only had a 33 pound Marathon at the time, and we were going to have to turn him forward facing in it anyways. So DD got it, and we got him a Regent. It worked for us and worked for the situation we needed it for. With the new baby coming, the baby is getting a Radian 80, DD is keeping her Marathon and DS will be in a Radian 65 that we already have. The new baby is getting the new seat in this instance, because we need a convertible that works from birth and DD is not likely to outgrow the Marathon rear-facing before it expires in 2013 (she is tiny).

In 2013 or when DD outgrows the Marathon rear-facing we will rethink our options again, I'll have to decide if DS is mature enough for a booster seat, he'll be 6 at that point so he probably will be. If he is then I'll probably pass his car seat onto DD and get him a booster, while the new baby will stick with the Radian 80. If DD outgrows the Marathon earlier, then I'll have to figure out what to do based on the circumstances then.

Since you are not currently pregnant, I would focus on what works best for your 15 month old now, and then when the new baby comes figure out what works best for your situation then.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#6 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 04:18 PM

I just wanted to point out that if your DD outgrows her Marathon at some point, the new baby could trade seats with her, presuming the new baby is big enough for a Marathon by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrizia View Post
We base it on our needs at the time as to who gets a new seat. So in this instance, I would get your 15 month old a seat that rear-faced to 40 pounds and forward faced to 65 pounds. When the baby is old enough that they have outgrown the baby seat they are in you can then look at your options again.

In our case DD got DS' Marathon shortly after she turned 6 months old. DS was close to the rear-facing limit, we only had a 33 pound Marathon at the time, and we were going to have to turn him forward facing in it anyways. So DD got it, and we got him a Regent. It worked for us and worked for the situation we needed it for. With the new baby coming, the baby is getting a Radian 80, DD is keeping her Marathon and DS will be in a Radian 65 that we already have. The new baby is getting the new seat in this instance, because we need a convertible that works from birth and DD is not likely to outgrow the Marathon rear-facing before it expires in 2013 (she is tiny).

In 2013 or when DD outgrows the Marathon rear-facing we will rethink our options again, I'll have to decide if DS is mature enough for a booster seat, he'll be 6 at that point so he probably will be. If he is then I'll probably pass his car seat onto DD and get him a booster, while the new baby will stick with the Radian 80. If DD outgrows the Marathon earlier, then I'll have to figure out what to do based on the circumstances then.

Since you are not currently pregnant, I would focus on what works best for your 15 month old now, and then when the new baby comes figure out what works best for your situation then.
#7 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 04:44 PM

If the car seats havn't 'exprired' - most people (due the fact most people in general shoot for the 2 year age gap) usually shoulnd't hand the car seats down because the child isn't physically ready to move on to the next car seat. There is nearly 5 years between my children, and as it happens - I can pass them down to the next child because DS1 is big enough and physically able to move on. At 5 - he finally moved forward facing into a booster at 47lbs because he outgrew his rear facing by height (though it can be RF up to 55lbs). That booster should last him to 84lbs. DS2 is currently in the bucket - it goes up to 9kgs which DS2 is a few pounds short of so can soon go into the DS1s old car seat that he just outgrew (though we are actually buying him a new one anyhow of a different make). And by the time DS1 outgrows the booster, DS2 may be ready for it. Will see when the time gets here!

Rear facing is safest. Keep your child rear facing for as long as possible. If you are lucky, and have your children spaced as planned - you will probably need to buy your next child their own car seat and not be able to pass a car seat down.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#8 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
If the car seats havn't 'exprired' - most people (due the fact most people in general shoot for the 2 year age gap) usually shoulnd't hand the car seats down because the child isn't physically ready to move on to the next car seat.
With most seats available in the US, this just isn't true.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#9 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 07:59 PM

I tend to buy carseats that last one child for a few years, and by the time they'd be ready for the next kid they are pretty thrashed, even if they aren't expired, so I'd want to order new straps and cover for it anyway KWIM?

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#10 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 08:27 PM

In our case we'll be buying DD2 her own new convertible and DD1 will be staying in her convertible until she outgrows it. Right now DD2 is in DD1's bucket which we did hand down. DD1 is in a BLVD that we bought when DD1 was an infant and it expires in April 2012. I know we'll want to RF DD2 longer than 2 years so it doesn't make sense for us to pass down DD1's BLVD to DD2 since it will expire when DD2 turns 2 years old. Plus if I passed the BLVD down to DD2, then I'd have to buy DD1 a new harnessed seat since at 4.5 she isn't quite ready for a booster full time. So then I'd be looking at buying DD1 a new seat now and DD2 a new seat in 2 years. My plan instead is to buy DD2 a convertible when she outgrows the bucket (soon) and then buy DD1 a booster when she outgrows the BLVD (at least another year, she is tiny!). Cheaper for us to do it this way.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#11 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM

my kids will be 22 months apart, DD had a bucket seat that we will pass to the new baby and now has a myride. I think we'll probably want to transition the new baby into a convertible at 6-8 months, though we could probably use it longer, I make small kids. at that point DD will be 28-30 month, and still rear-facing, so we'll probably be getting a second convertible for the new baby. If DD was going to be ready to FF I might get a seat that had a harness and also was a high-back booster and pass the convertible we already have onto the new baby.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#12 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 PM

I feel that getting long-lasting seats is worthwhile. When DD outgrew her bucket, I got her a TrueFit figuring that it would be the last harnessed seat she'd need. I had originally figured it would be passed down to #2 though while getting her a new seat. As it turns out we're expecting twins when she'll be 2.5years old. The twins will probably outgrow the buckets before her 3rd birthday, and I would prefer her to be RF for longer, so we will probably end up with 3 convertibles.

I could pass down DD's TrueFit and get a second seat for one of the twins, then get her something like a Nautilus, and the other twin something like a Complete Air. Or, I could get two Complete Airs. Either way I will need two dedicated boosters in addition (all three will be in boosters simultaneously). With the convertibles I will probably need to get DD an additional low backed booster (otherwise I'd have the Nauti). It's worth the extra $30 or so to me to keep everyone RF to 40lbs or so.

Also, I'm more focused on maximum RF time than on max harnessed time, which makes a difference. Buying in stages would push me to turn DD sooner, but it would keep her harnessed longer. I prefer a longer RF time and earlier boostering (at least 5 or 6, but I don't plan to harness past that).

And I agree with a PP that the long-lasting seats don't seem to cost much more than the lower-limit seats, so it's just not worth it to me to buy a lower-limit seat when I can get one that will last a long time, often for cheaper.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#13 of 15 Old 10-10-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindchen View Post
I just wanted to point out that if your DD outgrows her Marathon at some point, the new baby could trade seats with her, presuming the new baby is big enough for a Marathon by then.

True, but it depends on how the new baby grows too, which is why we'll figure it out at that point in time. At this point in time DD is not even 20 pounds at 18 months and sticking to her curve under the 5th percentile, so I don't see her hitting 32 pounds anytime soon. The baby on the other hand isn't here yet, so they could follow their big brother's growth curve and be 20 pounds at 6 months, or DD's growth curve and be 18 pounds at 1. Which is why we figure out our options when we need to based on our best information at that point, rather then figuring it out now. Based on our current needs and DD's current growth she will likely fit in the Marathon rear-facing till it expires, I don't know if the baby will or won't since they aren't here yet, but yes if DD outgrows the Marathon rear-facing around 2 1/2 like DS did, we would most likely switch DD and new baby's seat giving DD the Radian and the new baby the Marathon.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#14 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice.
If all goes as planned, the children will be 26 months or so apart.
We do not actually own a car, but rent sometimes and need a seat.
A new baby would be in a bucket for the first 6-12 months (depending on size and ability).

I am going to go with the advice to get a seat with DD needs in mind and for maximum time use. That makes it a lot easier too. I just have to think of her and her needs and not make decisions based on handing it down. I too love to get maximum use out of things.
I would love to be able to get a seat and use it until she needs a booster. And something that she can RF for as long as possible too. I don;t know how long, but at least until 3 yrs old.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#15 of 15 Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How tall/heavy is your dd now? Seats that last a long time would be the radian (but it can be a real pain to install in some cars), a complete air, or a true fit (but the true fit only rf to 35lbs).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page