How many people use boosters for their 7-9 year olds? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd1 is on the shorter side, I suppose. She's certainly nowhere near 4' 9"--that's the recommended height to go without a booster, right? She's seven, almost eight and I just stopped using her Frontier as a 5-point harnass a few months back. I'm just amazed at how many of her friends don't use boosters at all. I guess what surprises me the most is the the mothers of these girls all *know* that it's safer for their girls to be in boosters but don't "want to argue." My dd1 doesn't argue because it's never been a choice. Ever. I don't get that at all. I just don't understand why loving, informed mothers would make this decision.

:Mama to 2 :
#2 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Ds 9.5 is still in a highback booster, and likely will be for a while. He is on the smaller side.

It makes me cringe the number of school aged kids that don't ride in anything.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#3 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 04:55 PM

We do. DD is almost 8 and in a high back booster.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#4 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 05:09 PM

DSS 9 is still in his Graco Turbobooster with the back on it. He will be 10 in Dec. I will move him to the backless version then simply because the TB is expiring in Dec not because he's outgrown it by height or weight.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#5 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM

Nearly 9 yo in a HBB still. Until *very* recently she could have been harnessed in some of the new seats.

However, we keep her seat in the back seat of the van so none of her peers know she's in a booster still. Where we live, kids are bullied if they are still in any kind of a seat in preschool.
#6 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My 8.5yo is in a highbacked booster and her friends have to use boosters in my car as well (highback if they fit, backless if they're too tall for the highback).

I'm 5'5" and barely pass the 5-step test in the bucket-y backseat of my car. Her friends will not pass.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#7 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
we keep ds, who is 7 in a booster seat. it's not a high back. We couldn't afford the better one. But he always has it when in the car. We take it in and out when we change cars, or if his grandparents have him. I couldn't have him in the car without it. I am the paraniod type,

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
#8 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 06:21 PM

We have a 7 1/2 yo, and an almost 10 yo still in boosters.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#9 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Nearly 9 yo in a HBB still. Until *very* recently she could have been harnessed in some of the new seats.

However, we keep her seat in the back seat of the van so none of her peers know she's in a booster still. Where we live, kids are bullied if they are still in any kind of a seat in preschool.
#10 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 06:39 PM

The law here is 8 years old so my oldest stopped using one when he is 8 and my middle will stop using hers (low-back booster) in November when she turns 8. My youngest is turning 5 in January. She'll be in a high-back booster until she's 6 and then I'll let her switch to a low-back one until she's 8.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#11 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
The law here is 8 years old so my oldest stopped using one when he is 8 and my middle will stop using hers (low-back booster) in November when she turns 8. My youngest is turning 5 in January. She'll be in a high-back booster until she's 6 and then I'll let her switch to a low-back one until she's 8.
So, are they 4'9"? If not, do you just think it's "safe enough" or "not worth the fight".
I'm just not understanding this particular decision--if they kids aren't 4'9", I mean.

#12 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM

To be precise, it's not whether they are 4'9" that matters. What matters is that they pass the 5-step test*. Differently-shaped kids pass at different sizes in different vehicles. I've seen kids pass around 4'6" in tiny third-rows. And as I stated upthread, I'm 5'5" and I barely pass in some vehicles.

5-step test (and it's all or nothing -- 80% is not passing):
~ shoulder belt crossing between neck and arm, not riding up on neck
~ lap belt crossing low on hips and thighs, not riding up on belly
~ back and buttocks against seat crease
~ knees bending at edge of seat (and preferably feet resting on floor)
~ able to maintain position for the entire trip

#13 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 07:00 PM

My ds just turned 7 a week ago. He's in a harnessed seat (Regent in 1 car and Nautilus in another) and will be for a little while. I expect him to outgrow the Nauti next summer probably (by height). The Regent he may fit in until age 8 or so.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#14 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM

DS will be 8 in Dec., and still rides in a Turbobooster with the high back. I think he is just over 4' tall, so I expect him to be in it for quite awhile, although he may outgrow the back in the next year or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#15 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mygirl View Post
So, are they 4'9"? If not, do you just think it's "safe enough" or "not worth the fight".
I'm just not understanding this particular decision--if they kids aren't 4'9", I mean.
The law is 8 years old. I feel the law is fine. No they aren't 4'9" but they sit just fine in the car.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#16 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 07:13 PM

My oldest son will be 10 in January, and he's still in a low back booster (we went low back earlier than I would have liked, because for a time we had to fit three across and a low back is what worked for him). DD is 7 and in a high back booster. She is very tall for her age, but is nowhere near the 4'9" recommendation, and does not pass the 5 (or however many) step test in any vehicle we've tried it in. DS2 just turned 5 and is still harnessed, and probably will be for quite awhile. He's a peanut and still well under 40 lbs. (he could actually still rear face in some seats).
#17 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM

My 8 1/2 year old is still in a booster, and I don't see taking him out of it for quite a while.
#18 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 07:36 PM

My oldest is turning 8 in a month and is still in his Regent. We had talked about the possibility of getting him a HBB when he turned 8, but he still has plenty of room in his Regent, it doesn't expire for another 2 years, and our budget could use a little catching up with all of the medical bills I've had recently. So, chances are I will have an 8 year old in a Regent a month from now. He'll eventually switch to a HBB which will get him (at his current growth rate) until he is probably 12-13. We are looking at Monterey for him, so it will probably switch to a LBB at some point if he is in it until he is 13.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#19 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The law is 8 years old. I feel the law is fine. No they aren't 4'9" but they sit just fine in the car.
So when you read Chikabiddy's 5 step test, know she is a CPST, you just think, "Oh, that's silly"?
I just don't get it. When my friend's dd was 3, ten years ago, I remember her telling me that she didn't legally *have* to be in a seat. Sometimes the lawmakers are ill informed.

#20 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 PM

My 11 3/4 y. o. son just hit the 5 step test marks and he was quite excited to no longer need the high back booster. Our 9 year old daughter is still in her Britax Parkway HBB. Neither of them ever argued or complained about sitting in their boosters because I explained to them regularly that they were much safer in the case of even a small fender bender in their boosters. They noticed that some of their friends did not use boosters but they would quietly tell me about it, surprised that their parents didn't keep them safer and they seemed to feel bad for those kids. I think that my children are grateful that I go the extra mile to keep them safer.
Posted via Mobile Device
#21 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 PM

My 7½-year-old is still in a high-backed-booster. She is the only child her age that we know who still rides in a HBB. Most kids her age don't have boosters at all; and if they do, then the are always the basic backless kind. She has never had a problem with it before. However, recently she did have her cousin come over and tell her all about how her mommy doesn't make her ride in one anymore AND how her mommy lets her ride up front now! Of course my daughter was upset and wanted to know why she couldn't do these things. I told her the truth. I told her that I loved her very much and I wanted her to be as safe as possible. Those things her friends are doing are NOT safe, and though they may seem like fun... I love her too much to be "fun" all the time.

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#22 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 PM

My dd is 7.5, in a HBB, and most likely will be for 1-2 years. She's not very tall for her age, so I don't think she will fit properly in the seat without a booster of some sort for a bit.

Heck, my MIL is only 4'11", she might not pass a 5 step test in some vehicles!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#23 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 PM

You know, I'm 5'2" (ok, almost, but I'm calling it 5'2" anyway!) and there is no way I would pass the 5 step test myself in most vehicles. I'm pretty sure my daughter won't pass until she is MUCH older- late teens, probably. Maybe more thought needs to be given to car design so those of us who are under 5'8" are safer while riding as passengers.
#24 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheime View Post
My oldest is turning 8 in a month and is still in his Regent. We had talked about the possibility of getting him a HBB when he turned 8, but he still has plenty of room in his Regent, it doesn't expire for another 2 years, and our budget could use a little catching up with all of the medical bills I've had recently. So, chances are I will have an 8 year old in a Regent a month from now. He'll eventually switch to a HBB which will get him (at his current growth rate) until he is probably 12-13. We are looking at Monterey for him, so it will probably switch to a LBB at some point if he is in it until he is 13.
A high-backed booster at 13 years old!?!

#25 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My ds1 is about to turn 16yo. He used a booster until he was 11yo and wasn't allowed to sit in the front until 12yo.

My ds2 is almost 8.5yo. He uses a clek LBB. He is about 51" tall and a super skinny 54 lbs. Bony build and low muscle tone. He'll be in the booster for at least another 3 years no problem, as it is rated to 120#.

Quote:
Is your 4yo already in a booster? I hope I'm reading that wrong. I STRONGLY encourage you to do a bit more research. I'm sure that after you do, you will use the 5 step test rather than the law.

It really bears repeating:

5-step test (and it's all or nothing -- 80% is not passing):
~ shoulder belt crossing between neck and arm, not riding up on neck
~ lap belt crossing low on hips and thighs, not riding up on belly
~ back and buttocks against seat crease
~ knees bending at edge of seat (and preferably feet resting on floor)
~ able to maintain position for the entire trip

Quote:
Would you use that line of reasoning no matter where you lived? I ask because in my state, a 3 yo is legal in a LBB and the law for no seat whatsoever is either 3 or 5, I forget which.

I say this for whomever may be reading: THE LAW IS NOT ENOUGH. You must go by safety standards, not state law. And you must use your seat correctly, every time, no matter how long or short the ride. Your children are too precious to take a chance with their lives by using an inappropriate seat (or worse, none at all!)

Bring back the old MDC
#26 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 PM

My 9-year-old is in a Britax Parkway still. I think I will move him to a backless booster. When he asks when he can be in a car without one, I tell him when he is 4'9. He gets it, even though none of his friends are in boosters.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#27 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Why is that so shocking to you? What's wrong with that?
#28 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confustication View Post
You know, I'm 5'2" (ok, almost, but I'm calling it 5'2" anyway!) and there is no way I would pass the 5 step test myself in most vehicles. I'm pretty sure my daughter won't pass until she is MUCH older- late teens, probably. Maybe more thought needs to be given to car design so those of us who are under 5'8" are safer while riding as passengers.
I absolutely agree that vehicles should be designed to keep smaller people safe as well, but you can also be reassured that small adults are safer in cars than small children. During puberty, the hip bones become harder and sharper. This helps keep the lap belt, which is the most important restraint, down where it belongs during a crash. (The arms of boosters are designed to act as "artificial hips" for children who do not yet have fully-developed hipbones.)

#29 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
That caught my eye, too.
#30 of 99 Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM

My 9.5 year-old is still in a booster. Honestly, he is tiny, though, like 13 percentile.

If I were an inch shorter, I would ride in a booster. I probably should!

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page