food safety question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last Friday I bought some steaks and a small roast cut (beef), brought them home and placed them in the meat drawer in the fridge intending to dress them later and then freeze them. Fast forward to today, its Wednesday and yikes, I have just realised that the meat is still in the fridge! Is it still safe to use? Can I still freeze it raw considering that I don’t have a microwave so thawing it for cooking would entail another 12 hours or so in the fridge? FWIW the meat is from a “boutique” type butchery with high quality meat sourced locally. Its 3 meals worth of stuff, ugh what a shame!!!

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

#2 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 03:50 PM

I have always been taught that 3 days is the limit on fresh meat in the fridge, but I do not know if that is really a rule or not.

I do not think I would trust it though, sorry.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#3 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM

If it doesn't smell funky and your fridge is nice and cold, I would eat it for sure. Just cook it long and make sure it comes all the way to temp.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#4 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
If it doesn't smell funky and your fridge is nice and cold, I would eat it for sure. Just cook it long and make sure it comes all the way to temp.
This. Trust me, you'll know if it's gone bad the second you unwrap it!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 PM

I'd use it it doesn't smell bad. And I've used meat that has been in the fridge for much more than 3 days and it was fine. It seems very unlikely to me that it would have spoiled in 5 days. I do meat in the crockpot about 75% of the time though, so it has a very long cook time!

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#6 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, it should be fine, as long as your refrigerator is at the proper temperature. Just to be safe, I would make sure to cook it to at least 160 F.

DD 2/08
#7 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM

I would cook it if it didn't smell funky. I wouldn't freeze it raw though. I'd cook it thoroughly and then use it for meals asap.

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#8 of 12 Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 AM

Might sound weird, but "dry aged" beef is actually stored for weeks in basically a big fridge. You pay extra for them to age it. If the beef is wrapped in paper, you've done this. It may look brown, but should smell fine. If you cook a piece and taste it, it should smell and taste normal or slightly more beefy than when fresh. Meet in plastic wrap spoils faster (3-5 days) and will develop as sour smell. This is why good butchers use paper, not plastic. Even off meat is usually safe to eat if you cook it to a high temp, but you would need a lot of spice to cover the off taste.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#9 of 12 Old 10-14-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Can I still freeze it raw considering that I don’t have a microwave so thawing it for cooking would entail another 12 hours or so in the fridge?
You don't have to thaw the roast to cook it, you can cook them from frozen just fine.

The steaks technically don't either but it's easy to overcook them & you can't really marinate them unless you marinate before freezing.
#10 of 12 Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies - and the reassurance. My fridge has an electronic thermostat and we keep it at 4°C. The meat was paper-wrapped - I guess my butcher knows his stuff (and me thinking it was just a quaint old fasioned habit lol!). It did not look or smell wrong, so I have frozen it. I will thaw out the steaks before cooking, but I will take your advice CarrieMF and put the roast in the oven still frozen.
Thanks again

read.gif WOH wife to heartbeat.gif, mother to myviolin.gif 8yo and one cat.gif who thinks he's a dog2.gif

#11 of 12 Old 10-14-2010, 09:22 PM

I grocery shop once a week, so 5 day old meat doesnt even make me blink. And with a reputable butcher (vs grocery store meat), i wouldn't even think twice.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#12 of 12 Old 10-14-2010, 11:36 PM

We get our meat from a farm where it is naturally raised, butchered, wrapped in paper and flash frozen on sight. It is incredible the difference between that meat and grocery store meat that is wrapped in plastic. 5 day old meat wouldn't bother me if it smelt good.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page