unhappy with the head resting place in the True Fit Car seat~ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 10-26-2010, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If your child isn't complaining, then it's not uncomfortable. My dd puts her head down to the side when she wants to sleep, and then sleeps that way, in her MR.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#32 of 42 Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post
I think we had the chest straps down on his belly and the shoulder straps at his chest. So is that what made his head and neck not be supported?
I"m having a hard time picturing what you mean by this. I have True Fit and the straps are the same as in our Graco infant seat we used to use. Yes, the chest clip goes on the chest-- but I'm not able to picture how you had the shoulder straps.

Do you mean something like this?

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/carse..._car_seats.htm

(note: I didn't read the page to check if what they are saying is correct-- just found this picture of shoulder straps down more at the chest area)
#33 of 42 Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post
thanks. so is this a 45 degree angle that we have here?
It's hard to tell from that picture because it's not square on the side, but I'd guess it's around 40ish degrees. It's fine for a 7 month old. It's more comfortable and actually safer for a child with torso control to sit more upright when RFing.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
#34 of 42 Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
I"m having a hard time picturing what you mean by this. I have True Fit and the straps are the same as in our Graco infant seat we used to use. Yes, the chest clip goes on the chest-- but I'm not able to picture how you had the shoulder straps.

Do you mean something like this?

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/carse..._car_seats.htm

(note: I didn't read the page to check if what they are saying is correct-- just found this picture of shoulder straps down more at the chest area)
yes, something similar to this, tho- a little less sloppy.
#35 of 42 Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
It's hard to tell from that picture because it's not square on the side, but I'd guess it's around 40ish degrees. It's fine for a 7 month old. It's more comfortable and actually safer for a child with torso control to sit more upright when RFing.
dh says that he only saw 2 ways that the angle of the seat could even go- so is the angle degree dependent on the car?

And another question- since I am still unsure if this is the right seat for us (and can return it for 100% refund!) do you guys think the Britax Boulevard would have more of the head support I am seeking?
#36 of 42 Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 AM

I can't say for sure if the Britax would have more head control... It doesn't come with any inserts at all though and you can't add any. What you CAN do though is roll up a blanket and stuff it next to the baby's head if you're really worried. I PROMISE, babies are quite flexible though and they are rarely as uncomfy as they look.

One other thing I wanted to touch on though - LATCH isn't any safer than a seatbelt install (provided its correct), so don't think you'd get chewed out for that. You just need to make sure that both pieces of the seatbelt are in both lock offs and that there is less than 1 inch of movement at the belt path (side to side and front to back). There will likely be movement if you shake it up near the top of the shell though, but that is normal. Where the belt goes through is the only place you check for movement.

And yes, the harness should be in the slot that is closest to his shoulders, but not over. So it should be just at his shoulders or just below. And the chest clip always goes at arm pit level, in any carseat. Also, the harness should be snug enough that you can't pinch any slack in it at his shoulder.

Here is my nephew in our True Fit. He was only 2 months old and he rode in it without any of the extra padding at all.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...Photo-0295.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...Photo-0297.jpg

HTH!

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#37 of 42 Old 10-27-2010, 01:13 AM

Yes, your vehicles seat will affect the natural angle that any seat installs at. You can "adjust" the angle by pushing at either the bum area (more reclined) or the feet area (more upright) while installing. If you need it more reclined than that, you can put a rolled up towel or pool noodle under the carseat where the "crack" in the vehicle seat is (under the baby's feet). However, that picture looks great, though I can't judge the angle terribly accurately. It certainly doesn't look terribly upright for a 7mo. FWIW, DD started riding in hers at 5months at a 40 degree angle without additional support.

I'm not sure what you mean by head support to be honest. Are you thinking of one of those little half-moon pillows like they have in infant seats for newborns? You can use a rolled up blanket next to him if you want instead of that. But even so if he lifts his head nothing is going to support it... What infant seat was he in? What kind of head support did that have that it supported his head even when he lifted it up? I think in most seats if they want support they have to put their head back...

I don't know if a Boulevard would help, honestly. I'd try a Complete Air first if you are looking for headwings - the CA has a taller shell and more legroom so it will last longer RF and FF, plus it's a lot cheaper. I love my TrueFit, but if you are really uncomfortable with it, get a different seat. Your comfort matters too!

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#38 of 42 Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The head area in the complete air (between the wings) is quite narrow, so it will give him more side support for sleeping.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#39 of 42 Old 10-27-2010, 12:20 PM

the seat has a level window that makes 1 2 and X. the is helpful when putting the seat in the car for fine tuning the angle.

below at the base you can also adjust the recline 1 2 and 3. i have to take the seat out to adjust there.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#40 of 42 Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 AM

I think a main part of your worries is that you are moving from an infant seat to a convertible, but are expecting the convertible to be more like an infant seat than it is. The infant bucket seats often fully support young infants including their heads and allow very little movement at all. The convertible seats which have infant inserts can duplicate this complete support. Once you take the infant insert out of the convertible seat (and it sounds like your son is too big for the infant insert--which at 7 months is to be expected) the children have more freedom to move their heads. At this age, they no longer NEED so much head support.

I also have a True Fit, and was greatly concerned the first time we put DS in it (he was about the same age as your son). It seemed to me like the gaping holes directly behind his head would bother him! I posted questions very similar to yours on a car seat forums website and got a lot of responses basically saying "Yes, that's correct. Don't worry about it". I tried using the 'little' head rest for a few days, but found it didn't stay in place very well, and so stopped worrying about it. (We had the seat installed closer to a 30 degree angle because DS was old enough for that--this is probably why the head thingy would sometimes try to slide down).

It's okay for your son to have more freedom of head movement now that he's older. One thing about the True Fit is that the upper portion is WIDE. This is kind of a drawback for younger children because when they fall asleep there is no readily available pillow for them to lean against. THe edge of the seat is REALLY far away from their head. Now at 2 years old our son is finally big enough that when he falls asleep his head can rest against the side of the True Fit and not look too uncomfortable. But honestly, even though it bothered me to look back and see his head practically leaning onto his own shoulder when he fell asleep--it never seemed to bother him. (He also gets into crazy sleep positions in his own crib, so I've just assumed that younger children are more flexible and less bothered by such things than we would be. If I slept for 30 minutes with head resting on my shoulder I'd have the worst neckache ever! But nothing like that ever bothered my son).

Another poster mentioned the Complete Air convertible seat. That one does have a lot of head support. We have a Complete Air in our backup car. If the freedom of head movement really bothers you, you might like the complete air. One negative thing I will say about it is that the straps twist ALL the time on our Complete Air.

How long do you have the 100% refund option? Could you try it for a bit and see how your son does? Otherwise, I would go to a store to physically look at different car seat options and see if any fit your needs--now that you know some more about what bothers you (though your son probably isn't bothered at all).

Also, if you can you should get your carseat checked. It will make you feel better.

Finally, please don't get any after market car seat additions! These are just generally unsafe. If they are tested for safety (and not all are), they are probably not tested with your exact car seat configuration. These items can move and slide around and end up causing potentially dangerous situations. DS was about 6 months old before I realized after market car seat additions were no-nos, and so I sheepishly threw out all that kind of stuff that I had bought.

Good luck!

Lovin my SAHD DH and 2 kiddos

#41 of 42 Old 10-29-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
One other thing I wanted to touch on though - LATCH isn't any safer than a seatbelt install (provided its correct), so don't think you'd get chewed out for that.
So true! We had the expert at the PD check my daughter's britax and baby's snugride and he prefered seatbelt installs because the belt is much thicker than the latch belt. Who knew. Latch is just easier. You're a good mom for making sure you do this right the first time!

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#42 of 42 Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! So I finally got a car seat that I really like!! We haven't installed it yet- we will this weekend. so hopefully it fits my small car as it is somewhat big. and it is- the Britax Boulevard I really like it so far. I will let you guys know if it works once we try it out. It feels like what I want- sturdy, and comfortable. I really like the head rest in it.

I am glad I got to experience a couple others first hand so I can see what is out there. Now I have to send those 2 car seats sitting in the garage back to the places I got them so I can get refunded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page