Check or rent carseat when traveling? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, I had no idea Sceneras were that cheap! I'm going to get one tomorrow for my husband's car.
It sounds like a much better option for a plane also. Hope you have a great trip!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM

For a little over $50 at some Targets you can also get the new Scenera40RF, which rear-faces to 40lbs

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#33 of 42 Old 11-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMama4/4/10 View Post
Okay, so I just ordered a Scenera - at $38 it's less than it would be to rent. Really can't go wrong there - it could literally be disposable.
I have a Scenera to travel with as well. I mostly travel alone with my son and the Scenera and have carried it in one hand plenty of times. If you have an umbrella stroller, perhaps take that with you and just plop the carseat into the stroller.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#34 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help!  We just returned from our trip and traveling with the Scenera was a breeze - I felt so much safer knowing that I wasn't taking a gamble on the seats provided by the rental company. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#35 of 42 Old 11-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

I see you've already completed your travel and bought a seat, but I just wanted to give a heads up on baby gear rental places.  I own one myself and all of my seats are practically brand new.  I carry Graco and Evenflo models.  If you ever have questions about what you are renting please call a baby gear company and they will be able to give you accurate information.  I know here where I live the car rental companies won't even guarantee that they will have a seat for you when you arrive.

#36 of 42 Old 11-27-2010, 04:27 PM

You did the right thing buying a seat--I would never trust a rental seat.  You never know what the previous person did to it, or who's kid puked on the straps and how they were cleaned.  Much better plan just to bring along your own seat and use it on the plane.

CPST & mom

#37 of 42 Old 11-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhpke96 View Post

I see you've already completed your travel and bought a seat, but I just wanted to give a heads up on baby gear rental places.  I own one myself and all of my seats are practically brand new.  I carry Graco and Evenflo models.  If you ever have questions about what you are renting please call a baby gear company and they will be able to give you accurate information.  I know here where I live the car rental companies won't even guarantee that they will have a seat for you when you arrive.

I'm just curious how you deal with the liability of renting out seats that you don't know the complete history of, because they are out of your hands while they are rented. 

#38 of 42 Old 11-27-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:

How do you clean your seats? (for example if they got puked on)

The carseat rental place here uses bleach to clean the straps, b/c apparantly all baby/kid stuff has to be cleaned that way, which ruins them of course. 

#39 of 42 Old 11-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:

I posted several questions for you in the other thread where you mentioned welcoming questions from people about your car seat rentals. Thanks :)

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#40 of 42 Old 11-28-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMama4/4/10 View Post

Thanks for all the help!  We just returned from our trip and traveling with the Scenera was a breeze - I felt so much safer knowing that I wasn't taking a gamble on the seats provided by the rental company. 

Glad it worked out well for you!

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#41 of 42 Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post

Quote:

I'm just curious how you deal with the liability of renting out seats that you don't know the complete history of, because they are out of your hands while they are rented. 

I have all my parents sign a liability waiver before renting.  It also states they are supposed to let me know if the seat has been in any type of accident and that there is no eating/drinking in the seats. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

Quote:

How do you clean your seats? (for example if they got puked on)

The carseat rental place here uses bleach to clean the straps, b/c apparantly all baby/kid stuff has to be cleaned that way, which ruins them of course. 

I clean them per the manfacturer's instructions.  I would never use bleach on a car seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymw View Post

Quote:

I posted several questions for you in the other thread where you mentioned welcoming questions from people about your car seat rentals. Thanks :)

I answered them in the other thread!

I really believe that my car seats are safe.  I inspect them all and clean them thoroghly when they are returned to me.  Is there a small chance that they could have been in a fender bender and not damaged in any way that I can see?  Sure there is.  But I believe that there is just as great a chance that the car seat could have been damaged in the same way riding in the belly of a plane.  People that gate check their car seats (and I'm one of them!) inspect them when they get them back and make the best decision they can about them.  But they could have been damaged in such a slight way that you wouldn't be able to tell.  These are risks some people are willing to take when travelling.

#42 of 42 Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 AM

If you do take the car seat GATE check it.  We didn't know better the first time and checked the car seat in the regular luggage...and they lost it.  Total nightmare when we arrived, the lost luggage desk had this ancient, beat up old car seat as a loaner that I refused to use, and it was only ff and my DD was only 8 months old so it was useless to us anyway. 

Next year we need to fly across country with 2 car seats and I'm not looking forward to the logisitc of getting both plus both kids through the airport.  I've heard really good things about the go-baby travel system, you strap the car seat to the wheely base and can use it like a stroller in the airport and at least can drive it like luggage.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)

User Tag List