Long overseas flight with three kids: many questions! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Water

I haven't noticed anyone mention keeping the children and yourself hydrated with water. 

This will help so much when you get to your destination. Much of Jet Lag is actually dehydration. Other liquids don't work as well as water. The body doesn't use other liquids in the same way because it doesn't have to digest water. Water can go straight to the organs that need it - mainly the brain. 

So make sure you all drink loads of water the whole trip because flying is very dehydrating. 

EFT

EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) is an invaluable tool at any time but even more so on a plane journey. 

It's basically a form of acupressure - tapping on the meridian end points on face, hands and upper body. (Like acupuncture but without the needles.)

On a flight you can use it to calm a fretful child, relieve motion sickness and the ear pain as the plane descends, and enable your body clock to keep in line with the earth clock. As I said it's a marvellous tool. Every parent's job is made so much easier with this under their belt. 

Learn more about it here http://www.towards-happiness.com/emotional-freedom-techniques.html

This page has an explanation, a poem to help children tap in the correct places and links to download a free manual, and go through a series of slides to learn it yourself. It also has an amazing video that shows the scope of EFT. 

I am a grandma now and I use it surrogately whenever I encounter fretful children on flights. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl View Post

We fly between Europe and California about twice a year, plus various other shorter flights. Ours' are 11 1/2 and 10 1/2 hours each way, plus a connection. I'm almost always alone with my three kids. I was also a Flight Attendant working long-haul international flights for 13 years.

I got a DVD player when my youngest was 3 and it's a g-dsend on flights. You can't depend on what they're playing on board. It might not entertain the kids, it's not always playing and they might not even have one! It might just be a general film on the big screen.

We have so many problems on my airline with the individual screens that they were scrapped for future aircraft.

There are other devices that play movies so portable DVD players are not your only option. That's too big a subject to cover here and not my area of expertise! The jury is out on whether it's worth it for the youngest. Mine would never sit still or wear the headphones under age 3 but some toddlers will. But the older two will appreciate having something to watch on the long flight, especially on the way back to the U.S. (all daytime). It's also useful for hotels where they might not understand the T.V.

About the car seat, be sure that you're flying a U.S. airline. It might not be allowed on board a foreign company, depending on which one. You have the right to use a FAA approved car seat on a U.S. aircraft but that's not true for foreign companies. Be sure to check your airlines' car seat policies.

I bring a full set of clothes for each child and have used them too many times on transatlantic flights. It's NOT overpacking. If there's a spill, you'll regret not having them. Wrap them in plastic bags with rubber bands and that will save space in your luggage. I bring some sort of either a sippy cup or a more acceptable spout type bottle for older children. Have the F/A's fill those instead of having multiple open glasses sitting on your tray tables ready to create havoc.

Be sure to have new, never seen toys for all of them. I suggest giving the youngest (if not all) one just before pushback so that she might be distracted enough to sit nicely in her seat until you're in the air. Remember, not electronic. You might want to have a new DVD for the older two.

Check everything you don't need for the flight itself. For a journey like this, you don't want to start off on the wrong foot with the crew seeing you drag extra stuff on board. You want them on your side when flying with children! Baggage expenses are something you'll just have to cough up when the children are young. Usually, international lets you check a free bag per person so you should have plenty of leeway with that. Make sure all bags are well under the weight limit. Don't give yourself grief by packing fewer, bigger bags that are often nabbed for overweight fines.

I also don't recommend messing with kids' schedules before flying. You need your children alert and cooperative for the whole palavah of checking in, getting through security and boarding. One small delay and you could find yourself with one big meltdown! I saw this too often at the airport.

Don't last minute pack or do chores before leaving. Try to have everything organized in advance and get plenty of sleep the night before. When the seat belt sign is on, be ready to pace the aisles with the youngest.

You're lucky you'll have your dh along. Some parents who have the luxury of flying together will take turns being in charge of the toddler. This sounds like a good idea so that both of you aren't jumping up for every diaper change and fussy spell.

Here are my newly-edited, non-commercial flying tips;
http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Have a great trip!

I don't have much advice to add to this thread that hasn't already been stated.

Just wanted to say to Eclipsepearl - thank you for that article!!  My mom forwarded it to me a couple months ago when we were planning our kids first plane ride - a measly little 3 hour jaunt from Canada to the US - nothing compared to your overseas flights, but still nervewracking for us first-timers!  Your article was very helpful, thank you!!

Semi-crunchy mama to DD (7/06) and DS (8/08), and thrilled to be 
belly.gif due around mid-December 2011, and planning another h20homebirth.gif
Old 11-12-2010, 01:25 PM

AFAIK, teh infant belts are only on Qantas.

Also, is there a reason you're taking your car seat with you? If you're going to Europe it will probably be illegal for you to use your US car seat there. If it were me, I wouldn't take it.

Defintiely take snacks, drinks etc. Baby food is exempt from restrictions.

Older kids might like some gum for takeoff and landings. They will prob be entertained by the inflight stuff and they also give out colouring books etc.

For the youngest buy some new toys and books. I recommend the Richard Scarry ones because there is so much to look at. That way you only need one.

A baby/toddler carrier will save your arms if your LO wants to snuggle and lot and also in your layover.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

Old 11-12-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvlagrl View Post

AFAIK, teh infant belts are only on Qantas.

Also, is there a reason you're taking your car seat with you? If you're going to Europe it will probably be illegal for you to use your US car seat there. If it were me, I wouldn't take it.

Defintiely take snacks, drinks etc. Baby food is exempt from restrictions.

Older kids might like some gum for takeoff and landings. They will prob be entertained by the inflight stuff and they also give out colouring books etc.

For the youngest buy some new toys and books. I recommend the Richard Scarry ones because there is so much to look at. That way you only need one.

A baby/toddler carrier will save your arms if your LO wants to snuggle and lot and also in your layover.

WHy would it be illegal to use my car seat there?? IL's have their car from the U.S. over there, so it is fully ready for my seat. Illegal? Seriously? What would be legal, then? I am intrigued!

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 PM

I recently flew alone for the first time, and did it with my 3 young children.  I went to a dollar store and got a bunch of fun stuff, and didn't let them play with any of it beforehand.  That and a good variety of snacks made for a surprisingly peaceful day of travel.  The silly putty was PRICELESS.  They were occupied for a long while pressing it into other toys and objects and seeing what kind of prints were made in the putty. 

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

User Tag List