Carseat in the third row of a minivan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this safe? We have two kids, 3 years and 3 months and our small minivan has two captain's chairs. Now, we have both kids there, but are taking a very long car trip and I'd like to sit by the baby and put DS in the back next to my mom. Is this a bad idea? DS is in a Britax roundabout and DD is still in a Graco bucket.

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Yes, provided the seat installs well in the location you choose, it's perfectly safe. If your child is forward facing, make sure the location you choose has a tether anchor.

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 11-02-2010, 11:12 PM

I have 4 kids so 2 have to be in the 3rd row... I have an older van that didn't have the anchors so I just went to the dealership and they installed them for free..

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM
MJB

Sure, why wouldn't it be?
I have a Mazda 5. My RFing baby is in the middle row, the other middle seat is folded flat, and my bigger (school-aged) boys are in the way back, 1 in a booster, one in a tethered FFing convertible.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:13 AM

Is your older child rear-facing or forward-facing? What year/make/model is your vehicle and do you have tether anchors in your captain's chairs? If you do, then I'd guess 99% likelihood that your 3rd top tether anchor is in the center of your back seat, not one of the outboard sides.

If your DS is FFing and you need to put the child in the back outboard, I'd put your DD there. The center of the vehicle is marginally safer so remember the least protected child in the most protected position--meaning DD in the third row, where she won't need a top tether.

Otherwise it doesn't matter who goes where as long as the seats install well

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas!

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :

Tags
Car Seats
User Tag List