Am I Crazy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone I know just posted a picture on FB of her "big girls" (not yet 3.5 year old twins) in their backless boosters with a regular seat belt. That is insane right? My soon to be 4 year old niece is rear facing in her Britax still and I plan to do the same with my soon to be 2 year but clearly they cannot be using backless boosters with a shoulder belt at that age right? Can someone post any kind of link that I can send to her?

How do people not know these things yet?
#2 of 8 Old 11-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If they are within the weight limit of the seat (sometimes as low as 30 lbs.) then technically she isn't doing anything illegal.

So it's up to you if you want to bring it up with her as unsafe since there very well may not be anything wrong (as far as the law is concerned) with what she's doing.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 8 Old 11-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Most seats have age limits as well as weight limits. It is *probably* illegal, but I'd need to know the exact seat as well as the children's weights.

Legal or not, it's not a good thing. Whether to bring it up or not depends on your relationship and whether you'd be willing to risk it.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 8 Old 11-06-2010, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Maybe you could post a picture of your kids rear facing and see if she comments?

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#5 of 8 Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

I have no problem letting her know it isn't safe. I'd just like a good, factual article pointing out the details as to why instead of it being my opinion. If that makes sense.
#6 of 8 Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/car...by_booster.htm
PDF of which car seat is best?

In case they want to take them out of boosters altogether at age 4
http://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/

Belle's Gift (3yo who died in a booster) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04

KDM
http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#7 of 8 Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

sunnymw - thanks so much. I sent her all of that info and feel like I have at least done what I can do to help educate her. Thanks again.
#8 of 8 Old 11-20-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymw View Post

In case they want to take them out of boosters altogether at age 4
http://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/

Thank you for posting the link to this site! I'm going to give a copy of the 5-Step Test to my SIL. She has an 8-year-old, a 2-year-old, and a 3-week-old. She told me that they're letting the 8-year-old ride in the car without his booster seat because he's of "the right age". She also mentioned that he's only 4'3" (51 inches) and he can't weigh that much (he's a skinny kid). Her other reason is because they're having trouble fitting a booster seat and two car seats in the back of their car.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page