would you rent a car seat from a car rental place? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our family is considering doing some traveling you we do not want to be lugging around our car seats. I recently saw that they can be rented from car rental places. Have you rented one before
#2 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No, I wouldn't. You're not guranteed a seat that will fit your child, you don't know where the seat has been, how it has been treated, or how it has been "sanitized" etc. You're better off spending your money buying a car seat that's easier to travel with, and sometimes that is actually cheaper than renting!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 19 Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 PM

Nope, for the same reasons as the PP. We bought a Cosco Scenera that is much easier to lug when travelling and costs about the same as 3-4 days rental fee. Plus I know where it has been, how it has been cleaned, how to install it, and that it fits my child. When DD is older (FF) I'm considering a Ride Safer Travel Vest, though I don't think they're available/legal in Canada..

I've heard an awful lot of horror stories of rental seats - especially them only having seats that are wildly inappropriate for your child (ie only forward-facing seats for your infant, or only infant seats for your 3 year old)...

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#4 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 02:36 AM

We have this
http://www.babyproofingplus.com/item3715.htm
I know its expensive, but it has been SO worth it! We travel a ton and see lots of people lugging car seats and we always get the envious glares and "where did you get that!"

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#5 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Nope. Absolutely wouldn't for the same reasons as the PPs. Depending on how old your kids are, I would do a Scenera, a safe rider vest, or a bucket without the base. You know the expression "drive it like a rental?" I assume people treat the rental company's carseats the same way.

#6 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The two experiences I've had with renting them (one I rented, one a family member rented for her son) are awful. The first one was really old and had to have been expired and was so old it was made differently, with the part that has a bar that comes over the top in front of the baby. And it was filthy. The second one wasn't so old but the straps were all twisted and we spent ages in a parking lot taking the thing practically apart to make it even reasonably safe.
#7 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 01:15 PM

I would never use a seat I didn't know the history of, or didn't belong to someone I'd trust with my child's life. You never know what happened to it, soaked straps to crashes.

Mama to Elsa Louise: 2/10, 13lbs 8 oz  energy.gifand Oscar Allen: 7/12, 13lbs 8 oz  babyboy.gif

#8 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 03:59 PM

No, I wouldnt trust several non-carseat educated strangers with my child's life. Nor would I risk getting an expired/i'll fitting/damaged/missing parts/in-properly cared for/etc seat.
Plus they often spray the straps with bleach to sanitize...

And who knows what the previous renter did to the seat? No way of knowing.

We use a wheely cart I got from walmart for $10, and it works wonderfully.
#9 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 PM

walmart has the cosco scenera on rollback for $39 vs renting at $10/day. we ordered 2 & i was able to pick up both boxes to bring them in the house. so light!!!! and now i don't have to stress about the things that might be wrong with a rental seat...

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#10 of 19 Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 PM

No, for all the reasons stated above. I shudder thinking about the one time I got suckered into renting a carseat, in the Caribbean. It was expired, had the padded shield, and moldy straps. Never again.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#11 of 19 Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 AM

Eeeek, no, I absolutely wouldn't rent a car seat, for all reasons posted above! Just not worth the risk!

Semi-crunchy mama to DD (7/06) and DS (8/08), and thrilled to be 
belly.gif due around mid-December 2011, and planning another h20homebirth.gif
#12 of 19 Old 11-09-2010, 06:01 AM

When I arrived in NYC, all they had was a dirty, old infant seat that no way could my son fit.

As a stupid FTM, I rode with him on our laps in the car. I'm lucky nothing happened. I am NOT going to say "Well I didn't have a car seat for my child and he's okay!" True but you may not be. I'm angry at myself for the risk I took with him back then.

Another factor-the cost! If you rent more than 4-5 days, you've basically paid for a new seat anyway. Some parents have simply brought a Cosco Scenera and left it, since that was more cost-effective than renting the seat (you could donate it to charity).

I would rather rent from a baby equpment rental company than from a car rental place (lesser of two evils). With the company, you can ask about the seat and they might be a bit more aware of child safety than a rental car company. Still not a great idea but just throwing this in as a less-desirable option. There is also the issue of having the seat when you arrive, if you need it right away at the airport.

If we STILL haven't talked you out of this, call not the national number but the local agency from whom you'd be renting. Ask them about their seats, the age of them, how they're cleaned and whether they come with the manuals. You also might ask about how available they are. The fine print excuses them from guaranteeing a seat from you (in other words, you have no recourse if a seat isn't there).
#13 of 19 Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 AM

We flew into Florida recently, and had to use a rental car for our vacation.  We flew Delta, and carseats flew for free -- they were checked baggage, but we didn't have to pay the $25/bag fee for them.  I had a HBB for my son and a Nautilus for my dd.  The airport guy wrapped tape all around the HBB so it didn't disassemble during handling (the seat separates really easily), and checked both seats.  They arrived just fine at the other end, fwiw.  I would do this again, rather than trust a rental agency's seats.  Other than the hassle of having an extraordinary amount of stuff to cart through the airport, it was no big deal.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#14 of 19 Old 11-22-2010, 01:24 PM

I just returned from a trip where we considered renting a carseat.  I opted not to because of the price + not knowing where the carseat had been + not knowing for sure the car rental company would have the right kind of seat. Instead, I bought a Cosco Scenera and we lugged it around with us. It was a bit of a pain to cart around because we only fly with carry-on - so we had a LOT of stuff, but it really wasn't that bad and knowing that the seat was safe made any inconvenience well worth it.  The carseat was also super light even though it was slightly bulky.  The seat cost $39 and it would have cost me $48 to rent one.  Now we have a backup carseat that we can travel with - really can't go wrong with that. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#15 of 19 Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

If you do rent go with a baby gear rental company.  I own one myself and all of my seats are very safe.  Car rentals companies often won't know the make/model of their seats and may not even guarantee they will have one available when you arrive.  Most baby gear companies like mine have infant, convertible and boosters available.

#16 of 19 Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhpke96 View Post

If you do rent go with a baby gear rental company.  I own one myself and all of my seats are very safe.  Car rentals companies often won't know the make/model of their seats and may not even guarantee they will have one available when you arrive.  Most baby gear companies like mine have infant, convertible and boosters available.

I know I asked you this in the other thread - how do you clean the seats when they are returned to you?  If someone puked on them or spilled something... 

#17 of 19 Old 11-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post

We flew into Florida recently, and had to use a rental car for our vacation.  We flew Delta, and carseats flew for free -- they were checked baggage, but we didn't have to pay the $25/bag fee for them.  I had a HBB for my son and a Nautilus for my dd.  The airport guy wrapped tape all around the HBB so it didn't disassemble during handling (the seat separates really easily), and checked both seats.  They arrived just fine at the other end, fwiw.  I would do this again, rather than trust a rental agency's seats.  Other than the hassle of having an extraordinary amount of stuff to cart through the airport, it was no big deal.

I would NOT ever check a seat as baggage.  Do you know how its handled?   They throw everything around, drop it down chutes, pile who knows what on top of it, drop it on the tarmac... I have had many suitcases runined, no way would I risk a carseat to that.  Espeically sense the damage may be compleatly invisible until the seat fails in a crash.   

If you fly with carseats, install them on the plane for your kids, thats safer for the kids, and for the carseat.  For boosters, put it in a bag and gate check them being sure to write 'fragile' all over the place. 

#18 of 19 Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post

ITA with the above. It's not a good idea to check car seats as baggage. They can get damaged and/or get rerouted. If you need your seats right away when you arrive, you're screwed. I once got off the plane to only one of my four checked bags but our car seat was with us and my baby was safe for the 2 hour drive home. Our bags didn't arrive until 3 days later and we had made many car trips in that time.

The damage also might not be visable so your seats may have been damaged and wont protect your children in an accident. The only way you'd find this out is to be in an accident so let's hope ignorance is bliss and you never know for sure! 

With a HBB, a much better way to transport it is to separate it and pack the back. If it gets lost or damaged, it's less of a big deal since you have the bottom portion with you. LBB can't be used on the airplane but can be taken as carry-on's and stowed overhead, as well as gate-checked. If you're saving money by not buying a seat for a baby, and can't use your seat in an empty place, have the car seat gate-checked and ask that it be hand-carried down. Gate-checking is more sure because it's loaded directly, so less chance of it being lost but some airports still toss them to the tarmac or use chutes. 

Getting car seats through airports is not a big deal if you're organized. Being organized is key. The minor inconvenience of taking the seat is well outweighed by the security of knowing that this important safety item is safely transported, as well as being much more comfortable for you and your child on board. 

#19 of 19 Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhpke96 View Post

I know I asked you this in the other thread - how do you clean the seats when they are returned to you?  If someone puked on them or spilled something... 

I clean the car seats per the manufacturer's instructions.  I have never had someone puke in a seat but I did have one returned to me that smelled like cat pee.  After attempting to clean it to no avail I simply had to throw it away.  I also have a liability waiver that I make people sign that states they there is no eating/drinking allowed in the seat.  It's just easier to do that than clean up a bunch of crumbs.

As for checking car seats, even if you gate check the seat, it's still under the plane with all the other luggage, it's just near the door.  Usually they have it so the luggage can't fall on it but it can totally happen depending on how it is packed in there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page