Graco MyRide65 Rearfacing with seatbelt...help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a MyRide65 Convertible carseat for ds, 7 months. We also have a volvo wagon and do not have the LATCH system in our car so we use the seatbelt installation. Before ds was born we took it to the local police station to have it installed properly and as soon as they saw it they told us it was a huge pain to install those kinds of carseats rearfaceing (I'm assuming bc its so bulky and we don't have LATCH). It took 2 of them about half an hour to install- it was a pretty big production. They told us if we needed to adjust it ever we'd probably have to return so they could re-install it. Since then we've had to remove it to install it in other cars with other people for quick errands and it never seems to be in right. I've reviewed lots of installation videos and review website online and as far as I can tell most people say its a breeze to install. I don't know what we're doing wrong! I don't think it is an issue specific to our car bc we've had the same problem in every car its been in. No matter how much you tighten the belt, as soon as its installed you caneasiler move the carseat, even up to a couple of feet so its obviously not installed properly but we've gone over the manual and websites so many times! Anyway, we are trying to get another appointment at the police station to have it reinstalled. Anyone else have this problem and know how to help?

Please and thanks, ladies

femalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif crafty Mama to Maxwell, born April 5, 2010 and partner & best friend to Dan <3

#2 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 PM

It sounds like your seatbelt is not locked. In many cars, you can lock the shoulder belt by pulling it all the way out, and releasing it. It should "click" as it ratchets back in, and then you will not be able to loosen it without unbuckling the belt. You would do this after installing the seat, and then tighten it further by pulling any slack out of the lap portion, while pushing down on the seat. If you have an older car, your seatbelt may not "lock", in which case you will need to use the locking clip which came with the seatbelt. I am not an expert at how exactly to use a locking clip (You carseat manual should explain it, though) but I am sure someone else on here can explain.
#3 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtBChase View Post
It sounds like your seatbelt is not locked. In many cars, you can lock the shoulder belt by pulling it all the way out, and releasing it. It should "click" as it ratchets back in, and then you will not be able to loosen it without unbuckling the belt. You would do this after installing the seat, and then tighten it further by pulling any slack out of the lap portion, while pushing down on the seat. If you have an older car, your seatbelt may not "lock", in which case you will need to use the locking clip which came with the seatbelt. I am not an expert at how exactly to use a locking clip (You carseat manual should explain it, though) but I am sure someone else on here can explain.
Yes, it sounds like that could be it. It doesn't lock in (I could've sworn it did but none of the belts in the backseat are locking it seems like, I know the front ones do...hmm...) but the car is a 99 so that could be it. The part that I'm confused on is how the police officers were able to install it and it was perfect! We're waiting for them to return our call about an appt this week and when dp brings it in he's going to make sure they show him how. It just seems like it shouldn't be that complicated. In the meantime we were using a bucket carseat (hand-me-down so I realllllly didn't like it), but ds is too big for it now so we are waiting to take him anywhere (obviously) until the seat is in properly. Thanks for the tips! I'll check the manual and try it out!

femalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif crafty Mama to Maxwell, born April 5, 2010 and partner & best friend to Dan <3

#4 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 05:20 PM

Check your cars manual to see if you may have a "switchable latch plate". I am not a car seat tech, just a safety geek, but I do seem to remember reading that this a rare feature that older Volvo's sometimes have (I just read back over your original post and noticed you have a Volvo).

"Switchable latchplate: this latchplate has a switch on it to engage the locking mechanism and is commonly found in Volvo cars. Read your vehicle's manual to be certain how to use it."

(From here: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm)
#5 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 05:26 PM

Also, definitely ask whoever is helping you with your seats to show you exactly what they are doing, and then try to do it yourself while they check for mistakes.

http://www.safekids.org/in-your-area...eck-up-events/

You never know when you might need to move seats, it's good to be able to do it confidently yourself!
#6 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In a volvo of that era you should have a switchable latch plate. My in-laws have an 2000 volvo, and to install car seats you have to flip over the buckle (the outie part) and move a red switch to the "child seat" setting. Then the lap part locks. And I would find a car seat tech to help you, not a police/fire station where they may have very little or no training (which woudl be my guess since I can install my MR in my in-laws volvo in about 2 minutes rfing).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Yes, I would find a "real" tech that will teach you to install it instead of just doing it themselves (and doing it wrong from what it sounds like). You might have switchable retractors or you might have the latchplates with the switch since those are on some Volvos (not many though!).

CPST & mom

#8 of 11 Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 AM

Yep, the Volvo my sister was looking at to buy had a switchable latch plate.

I wouldn't go back to those "techs" though. A REAL tech would have taught you how and then have you do it yourself. A real tech also wouldn't have balked at the idea of a RF'ing convertible.

If you want, we could even talk you through it here. First figure out how to lock your seatbelts and then snaps some pics of your DS in the seat and post them here. Then maybe we could help you find an actual tech if you let us know where you are so that they can double check everything in person. Don't make one more single trip before you get it installed tightly though!

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#9 of 11 Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 PM

I agree that something is wrong, because I can install our MR in 2 minutes. it's should just be: pull seatbelt through slot (the one that threads under the legs), pull tight, and lock seatbelt (either using the car's seatbelt locking mechanism if it has one, or a locking clip (check the car's user manual, the carseat's manual has instructions on how to use a locking clip, if you need the clip and don't have it they are available at most stores that sell carseats). sometimes it takes two people to do the install, just because it's hard to reach over the carseat, but it's possible to do it with just one person. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#10 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 01:14 PM

A lot of times police officers and firefighters are well-meaning and want to help, but that doesn't mean they are CPS techs.  You should defiently try and find someone local who is a tech and can help you.  At a real car seat check they have you install the seat they don't do it for you so you will leave knowing how to do it.  That's how we are taught in training so I would be concerned anytime you go somehwere and they don't do this smile.gif

#11 of 11 Old 11-11-2010, 02:04 PM

I had a similar issue with mine in my forester. We used a latch plate and also twisted the buckle around once before fastening the seatbelt. The little twist was what helped make it fit tight. It was a bit of a pain to force it to latch that tight, but very well worth it( the seat won't budge and inch now). The tech I saw also said to take a swim noodle and cut it in half width wise and shove it under the bottom to get the angle just right for rear facing. If you want I can take a picture of what we did to make it work if it will help.

Mother to one Little Flower Childdust.gif 3/08 and one little squirmy boy babyf.gif 4/12 homebirth.jpg, Wife to fuzmalesling.gif,I am a Vegan Pagan. We familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif mdcblog5.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page