Reasons for RFing to weight limit and reasons for delaying use of a booster; Need for DH to understand - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-25-2010, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all. I am trying to help my DH to understand the reason for rfing as long as possible and the reason for not using a booster at THREE, like he thinks we should do with our DS since "other people do". Now, we homebirth, co-sleep, EBF, CD, etc, and he is cool and understands it all, but THIS is a struggle for him. I really don't know why. Anyways, I know that I can show him the crash test videos of rfing vs ffing, but is there anything else that I can show him? How about for delaying booster use? I haven't found much other than the 5 test thing. I need something showing proof, or evidence or something really convincing haha. I've tried explaining it, but I'm not good with the technicalities and terms with car seat safety. I ESPECIALLY want my kids safe, because we live in SoCal and spend most of the driving time on dangerous freeways. I understand how it can all be hard to understand. I myself remember riding in the back of pickup trucks on country roads, and of my Grandma putting me in the front seat on a stack of towels at probably age 4ish. (the horror!). So, any links, etc for showing DH the evidence? Thanks :D

SAHM to DS (10/07) and DD (4/10)
#2 of 6 Old 11-25-2010, 05:34 PM

not a link or anything, but young kids in boosters have a tendency to unbuckle themselves. I'm sure many moms on here have more resources to give you. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#3 of 6 Old 11-25-2010, 05:45 PM

I have no idea how this would work for you, but my husband periodically brings up FF/Booster/putting the seat back further/etc.   And I give him the option of a) trusting my judgement, since I've researched this or b) sitting down with me and watching crash test videos demonstrating head excursion, internal decapitation, etc. etc.     He opts for a). 

#4 of 6 Old 11-25-2010, 08:24 PM

The unbuckling thing is a big one. We have booster seats as backups in DH's car for our six and almost five year old. It's ok for quick trips on base to the grocery store or for hair cuts but I'm only ok with that because there are plenty of places to pull over if they unbuckle (unlike a freeway) and the speed limit is 15 to 30 mph with pretty safe drivers. When we go off base they are in their radians. They have no problem being buckled and really don't know that other kids their age are in boosters all the time. It's no big deal. Why not keep things as safe as possible for as long as possible? When in their boosters they not only unbuckle but they also put the seat belt behind their backs.

#5 of 6 Old 11-25-2010, 08:42 PM

So, this comes up occassionally with my DH as well at which point I a) ask him why he'd ever consider convenience and "other people doing it" more important than DS's safety and b) quote some sort of statistic that I only vaguely remember about Scandinavians RFing until four years old and having five times fewer serious accidents/deaths while RFing (don't quote me on that because I read it so long ago I'm not so sure its accurate, but I do keep quoting it anyhow!!). 

#6 of 6 Old 11-26-2010, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Have him watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04 (If the link doesn't work, just google Belle's Gift.) It is about a three year old who died in a car accident while in a booster. I can't remember the circumstances of the accident (and can't watch the video again because it's too sad) but it wasn't a really bad accident, everyone else in the car walked away. She either submarined under the seat belt or was killed by internal injuries from the seat belt. It's thought she would have been just fine had she been in a 5 pt harness. Her parents put together the video to educate parents about the importance of harnessing for three year olds.

Mom to DD 7 and DS 5.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page