Help with hearth gates in BC - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have experience with the Bily 3-1 Superyard? My google-fu has let me down, and I've only found two negative reviews about different products from the company, although it looks like it might be the same as North States Metal Superyard . Can't even find a company website :-/   We need a sturdy fence around the free standing woodstove, with the fence attached to the wall on two sides. Metal since plastic this close to a stove pumping out heat doesn't seem like the best idea.

The alternative would be the Kidco Hearth Gate which costs twice as much when the extra extension is added in.

Opinions on either product (or alternatives available Victoria/Vancouver) would be much appreciated smile.gif

Happily married, with DS 08.2010
#2 of 7 Old 11-28-2010, 03:00 PM

I don't have experience with those products, but we did buy a regular fireplace screen and I thought of buying two and joining them together for the freestanding fireplace at the cabin (but we haven't and we just use a bench to block it off for now - we don't live there).

I did buy the fireplace screen after winter and got a great deal on it, so if you aren't in a hurry it can save $$$$.

Tjej

#3 of 7 Old 11-28-2010, 03:03 PM

We just had a new woodstove installed and we ordered a gate from the company...not here yet but coming. I think it cost about $250 but it won't get hot and our stove is huge so we needed a lot of panels. We are in Nanaimo and use Pioneer Stoves.

Loving mama to one sweet boy!

#4 of 7 Old 11-29-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I did buy the fireplace screen after winter and got a great deal on it, so if you aren't in a hurry it can save $$$$.

That's a good idea -  we might not have the time though. Ds is 4 months and rolling over & pushing his bum in the air. Might not be long before he's mobile ...

#5 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 AM

I don't know anything about the Superyard, buy my inlaws use a KidCo Hearth gate around their freestanding wood fireplace.  It has worked very well for them.  They can easily remove and collapse it when the kids are not around (or, more likely if you're talking about your own home, in the off-season when the fireplace is not in use), it's very sturdy, and can be configured for whatever space you have. 

It *is* expensive, but with a free-standing fireplace you might find you use it for longer than you think.  Even when the kids are old enough to "know better" than to go near the fire, there's still the potential for accidents if they're anywhere in the area - a trip and fall scenario, or just not paying attention.  I'm not at all paranoid about kid safety, but even with my ultra-cautious 5 year-old I feel better with the fireguard in place.  When you're talking about something as hot as a wood burning fireplace, exposed on three sides... better not to risk the accident.

The KidCo configure gate is the same at the Hearth gate, just white instead of black and sold in a different base configuration.  We've used the configure gate at our own house just as a regular containment device.  Again, no problems.  It's sturdy, flexible, and good quality.

Hope that helps!

#6 of 7 Old 12-04-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritHorse View Post

We just had a new woodstove installed and we ordered a gate from the company...not here yet but coming. I think it cost about $250 but it won't get hot and our stove is huge so we needed a lot of panels. We are in Nanaimo and use Pioneer Stoves.

Thanks :) I'll give them a call, maybe they'll have a sale in spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie_7773 View Post

It *is* expensive, but with a free-standing fireplace you might find you use it for longer than you think.  Even when the kids are old enough to "know better" than to go near the fire, there's still the potential for accidents if they're anywhere in the area - a trip and fall scenario, or just not paying attention.

A really good point! It certainly makes me more inclined to get the expensive & sturdy gate.

#7 of 7 Old 12-04-2010, 07:11 PM

I just bought the North States one you posted today, I still need to anchor it to the wall, but so far it looks like it will work well.  We actually went one season without it with our two year old and baby and they knew to stay away from the stove, but I was constantly paranoid and now that they are 3 and 18 months there is a lot more pushing and rough housing going on.

I love Edward and we love our Libby (8/07) waterbirth.jpg and 'Nana' (05/09 )h20homebirth.gif and Eowyn (11/11) waterbirth.jpg  We are having a blast bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif and homeschool.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page