Massachusetts child safety law clarification? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a bit confused-

I have a 2.5 year old who is still a bit small for her age (27 pounds). She still rear faces in our Truefit in the back of my car.

My husband drives a 1991 Toyota pick up with no back seat, and no air bag. He will have to drive her around for a few days while my car has some work done.

Mass law says that all children under the age of 12 must ride in the back seat- I can't seem to find any exceptions....

While this is not the safest situation, nor anywhere near an ideal one, does anyone know if this is actually illegal?

#2 of 4 Old 12-03-2010, 04:12 PM

Hi-

I live in Mass and believe that it is the law, no exceptions, however I don't know for sure. I would call your local police dept. Most have a someone on staff who is a certified car seat tech (sometimes an officer but not always) and they are up on all the latest laws. They can tell you the specifics so you aren't surprised/ticketed. Let us know what you find out, be interesting to know!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 4 Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 PM

as far as I know there is always an exception for pickups with no back seats

Single mom to 2 boys
#4 of 4 Old 12-03-2010, 05:06 PM

I'm not in Mass. but we just had a kids in the back law passed, and it is that children 4 and under must be in the back seat if one is available.  I'm not finding any text to indicate a back seat component of your law. I did find this reference. Which appears to explain that the law basically says kids 12 and under SHOULD be in the back, but not that they HAVE to be in the back.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page