Car seat installation with only a lapbelt? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are trying to find a new minivan before #5 is born in July. DS1 is small so still in a harness (he weighs 43, will probably weigh 45 by next summer and age 7). DD1 and DD2 will 10000% still be in harnesses, as will DS2, age 1.5.
My husband is trying to tell me we have to get a full size van or conversion van to fit everyone because all the van we are finding have a lap belt only for the middle back seat. :( 

I have a hard time parking my minivan. I will NEVER be able to park a bigger van.  Im trying to find a minivan that will fit 5 carseats without having to remove a carseat every time to get into the back.

Can you install any carseats with just a lap belt? how?

#2 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

I believe as long as it's not a booster lap belt is perfectly fine.  The problem you might run into however is when they are all out of harness, as lap belts are not safe for booster use, nor do most safety experts like them for adults.  But that's a few years down the road for you, so I wouldn't worry about that yet.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#3 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM

What kind of mini-van do you have? I have a 2002 Mazda MPV and recently installed a Cosco Scenera RF in the middle of my third row which only has a lap belt. I used the locking clip that comes with the seat and got a very solid install. My only concern is what mini-van you have and what carseats to see if you can get three across in the third row.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#4 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

What kind of mini-van do you have? I have a 2002 Mazda MPV and recently installed a Cosco Scenera RF in the middle of my third row which only has a lap belt. I used the locking clip that comes with the seat and got a very solid install. My only concern is what mini-van you have and what carseats to see if you can get three across in the third row.

You CAN NOT use a locking clip with a lap only belt. 

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

Quote:

The H-shaped clip that is stored on the back of the seat? I was under the impression that it was for just that type of situation.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#6 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 AM

Check out the manuals that came with your current seats, I'm pretty sure all carseats can be installed with just a lap belt.  I'm with you, I wouldn't want to drive a full size van unless absolutly necessary!  As for getting all 5 carseats in, I'd look at the 8 passenger Siennas where you could put a child on the 2nd row middle seat and remove an outboard 2nd row captians chair for access to the back.  Odyessy's also let you move one captain's chair over to the middle to allow 3rd row access.  GL and congrats on #5!

#7 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The H-shaped clip that is stored on the back of the seat? I was under the impression that it was for just that type of situation.

No.

Locking clips are only for use with lap/shoulder belts.  If you have a non-locking lap belt, you must use a belt shortening clip, which is available through the vehicle dealersghip and is a much more complicated procedure than a locking clip.  A regular locking clip can *never* be used on a lap-only belt under any circumstances.

However, in a 2002 vehicle the belts lock.  You don't need a locking clip.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#8 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No.

Locking clips are only for use with lap/shoulder belts.  If you have a non-locking lap belt, you must use a belt shortening clip, which is available through the vehicle dealersghip and is a much more complicated procedure than a locking clip.  A regular locking clip can *never* be used on a lap-only belt under any circumstances.

The lap-only belt locks? Where exactly does it lock? What does the belt shortening clip look like?

#9 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

All cars made since 1996 must have locking belts.  I am not familiar with your vehicle; you need to check the owners' manual.

A belt-shortening clip looks like a locking clip, but it is much larger and used differently.  It is difficult to use.  It's the hardest part of the CPST training:  IME, more techs failed on that than any other part of the practical exam.  I suggest you find a CPST to teach you how to use it properly.

But again, your belts must lock.  It's the law.  If they don't, they are defective and the dealership should replace them.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#10 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No.

The lap-only belt locks? Where exactly does it lock? What does the belt shortening clip look like?

Do you have a lap belt with a tail to pull to tighten it?  If yes, that is what keeps it tight.  It does not automatically loosen when you pull on the belt part like  a non-locked lap/shoulder belt can.  If your car is post 1996, then you do not have the lap belt that needs a belt shortening clip.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#11 of 11 Old 12-10-2010, 12:27 PM

It's only a very few, very old cars that have lap belts that don't lock.  And those are only ones with a sewn-on latchplate-- any lap belt that has a "tail" locks, and since the the very early 90's, all of those with a sewn-on latchplate have an ALR (automatic locking retractor).

CPST & mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page