what car seat next for 2.5 year old outgrowing her current one? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2010, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have two girls, 2.6 and 2 months. I have the 2.6 year old currently in a britax diplomat, she will outgrow it by height at 40" and she was 38" at 2.5, so I expect around age 3 she'll be too big. She's well under the weight limit. My baby is in a graco bucket and she's growing like her sister so I expect she'll be done with that by 6 months by length. So I'll need to move the girls up to other seats in a few months for both of them.

We have a 2005 toyota matrix. Expecting to buy a minivan but not exactly yet.

I plan to keep DD1 rear facing (currently 30 lbs 38") as long as possible, but I know I can't fit a radian in the matrix rear facing. I'm not sure what else might fit and would keep her harnessed longer facing forward once she's turned. I am fine handing down the diplomat to the baby, just wanted to mention it in the equation.

I don't have recent stats on the baby, but she's growing just like her sister, long and lean. Budget is not much of a concern although two equal seats I would choose the less expensive one.

Suggestions?

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 PM

May I ask why you think the Radian wouldn't work rfing?

Your other options are the new Britax convertibles that rf to 40lbs (Marathon, Blvd, Advocate), the Graco Myride, and I can't remember the other one I thought of.

The Radian is your best bet b/c it will keep her harnessed to 80lbs vs. the others list to 65-70lbs.

:)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 PM

The Radian is very tall and is stuck at a 45* angle in many cars, which means it won't fit with the front seats adjusted properly for a passenger.  I do believe I have seen successful Radian installs in the Matrix, however.

And, the Radian will be outgrown by height well before the 80 pound weight limit is reached (and most likely before 65lbs).

CPST & mom

Old 12-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post

The Radian is very tall and is stuck at a 45* angle in many cars, which means it won't fit with the front seats adjusted properly for a passenger.  I do believe I have seen successful Radian installs in the Matrix, however.

And, the Radian will be outgrown by height well before the 80 pound weight limit is reached (and most likely before 65lbs).

Well I'm a Britax girl and had no idea that the harness slots were so low on Radians :(

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 PM

The straps on the Radians aren't low--kids have a good couple of inches in the Radians over the Britax seats--but most seats are outgrown by height well before weight, and the 80lb weight limit is very unrealistic, as is the 70 lb weight limit of the new Britaxes.

CPST & mom

Old 12-15-2010, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Kids fit longer in Radians than in Britaxes (Radian harness fits taller), but not to 80#.

I have seen Radians installed RFing in Corollas, so they should be fine in a Matrix.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry the reason I said that is because we tried to fit it! And couldn't! Any tips for making it fit then? was it in the center? because I definitely couldn't do it behind the passenger seat

Old 12-15-2010, 06:42 AM

The Complete Air is as tall as the Radian but installs much more upright.  It's cheaper too.  We're buying one for my 2.5yo when she gets to 35lbs and outgrows her TrueFit RF.  She is also long & lean but I think the Complete Air will get her to 40 lbs (or near it) RF.  She has two brothers who are very tall (but only 5wks old) so we only buy tall seats!

The Britax seats have short harnesses, it's one of the major reasons I don't like them.  Tall kids will need another harnessed seat if you use a Britax convertible.  Very few convertibles will get a FF child to the weight limit without being outgrown by height, but the Radian, TrueFit, and CompleteAir will last the longest (highest strap settings).  I think they will last my 38", 32lb, 2.5yo until she is ready for a booster.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

looking at the info for the complete air, it too only goes to 40" rear facing. So that's not going to work then eh?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 AM

The shell will accommodate a child much taller than 40".  Most folks choose to follow the 1" of shell rule rather than the stated height limit. 

blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 AM

I have a friend with a matrix and 2 rear facing radians...So they will work!

Also the stated height limit is moot (IMO) children grow in all different areas, so 2 38" children could fit into the same carseat VERY different.  Go by the 1" rule for rearfacing

Single mom to 2 boys
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

ok my girls are both tall torso girls though, so they do outgrow things that way sooner. Do you know what year those matrixs are? because my 2005 did not fit, I think they redesigned a bit after that. I will look at the shell heights though, guess I need a trip to Babiesrus

Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 AM

My 43" tall, very long torsoed DD is RF'ing in a Complete Air, but outgrew the Radian RF ages ago.  The shell of the CA is taller, and they allow you to RF until the head is even with the top of the shell (versus and inch below like other seats).  

CPST & mom

Old 12-15-2010, 11:25 AM

My DD is very long torsoed, 38" tall.  She has outgrown most of the shorter-shelled seats RF, and barely barely fits in the MyRide or Britax seats RF.  She has plenty of room still in her TrueFit and I tried her in a Complete Air and it looks like she has several inches above her head still. 

don't know about the Matrix, though, I don't have one!

Old 12-15-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzysMom View Post

We have a 2005 toyota matrix. Expecting to buy a minivan but not exactly yet.

I plan to keep DD1 rear facing (currently 30 lbs 38") as long as possible, but I know I can't fit a radian in the matrix rear facing. I'm not sure what else might fit and would keep her harnessed longer facing forward once she's turned. I am fine handing down the diplomat to the baby, just wanted to mention it in the equation.

I have a 2005 Toyota Matrix and can fit a Radian rear-facing in it in all three seating positions.  We are actually planning on moving DD from her Marathon rear-facing behind the passenger seat to a Radian rear-facing behind the drivers seat in the spring when we set up our car seat for newbie.  DS will be forward facing in a Radian in the center.  You can get a Radian at a much better angle then the 45 degree angle in a Matrix.  I think ours was around a 35 degree angle.  It is doable, but it does take a bit of work.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
Old 12-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzzysMom View Post

I have two girls, 2.6 and 2 months. I have the 2.6 year old currently in a britax diplomat, she will outgrow it by height at 40" and she was 38" at 2.5, so I expect around age 3 she'll be too big. She's well under the weight limit. My baby is in a graco bucket and she's growing like her sister so I expect she'll be done with that by 6 months by length. So I'll need to move the girls up to other seats in a few months for both of them.

I agree with the PP's about fitting a Radian in a Corolla/Matrix.  You can get a more upright installation by pushing the part of the seat where your DD's feet would go down into the car's seat when you pull on the LATCH straps or seatbelt.

The Complete Air will last even longer than the Radian, since the shell is higher.  It's also easier to get an upright installation (and, it's cheaper!)

The True Fit is also a great seat for tall, skinny kids.  It also has a very tall shell, and very high harness straps.  The RF limit is 35 pounds, vs. the CA's 40 pound limit, and the Radian's 40/45 pound limit.  But, if your DD is still well under 35 pounds, this could keep her RF for a long time yet.  It is wider than the Radian and CA, but that shouldn't be a huge deal unless you'll ever need to do a 3-across.

Is your DD1 still RF in the Diplomat?  I would guess that she's already outgrown it RF by a long while if she's 38+".  Is her head at least one inch below the top of the main shell of the seat (not the move-able headrest part!).  If she does not have a full inch of shell over her head, she has outgrown it RF.  The Diplomat is a tiny seat, and is typically outgrown by height pretty early RF (well, and FF too.)  My guy outgrew it RF at around 32-33".

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrizia View Post

I have a 2005 Toyota Matrix and can fit a Radian rear-facing in it in all three seating positions.  We are actually planning on moving DD from her Marathon rear-facing behind the passenger seat to a Radian rear-facing behind the drivers seat in the spring when we set up our car seat for newbie.  DS will be forward facing in a Radian in the center.  You can get a Radian at a much better angle then the 45 degree angle in a Matrix.  I think ours was around a 35 degree angle.  It is doable, but it does take a bit of work.

how did you change the angle?

Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2soren View Post

I agree with the PP's about fitting a Radian in a Corolla/Matrix.  You can get a more upright installation by pushing the part of the seat where your DD's feet would go down into the car's seat when you pull on the LATCH straps or seatbelt.

The Complete Air will last even longer than the Radian, since the shell is higher.  It's also easier to get an upright installation (and, it's cheaper!)

The True Fit is also a great seat for tall, skinny kids.  It also has a very tall shell, and very high harness straps.  The RF limit is 35 pounds, vs. the CA's 40 pound limit, and the Radian's 40/45 pound limit.  But, if your DD is still well under 35 pounds, this could keep her RF for a long time yet.  It is wider than the Radian and CA, but that shouldn't be a huge deal unless you'll ever need to do a 3-across.

Is your DD1 still RF in the Diplomat?  I would guess that she's already outgrown it RF by a long while if she's 38+".  Is her head at least one inch below the top of the main shell of the seat (not the move-able headrest part!).  If she does not have a full inch of shell over her head, she has outgrown it RF.  The Diplomat is a tiny seat, and is typically outgrown by height pretty early RF (well, and FF too.)  My guy outgrew it RF at around 32-33".

woah seriously? that's ridiculous! the headrest doesn't count? how would any kid that's not grossly overweight ever reach that weight limit then? I'll have to check her in it but you're probably right that she's outgrown it. What is the point of the headrest then?

oh my gosh im mortified. i thought i was keeping her safer backwards

ETA (again): ok my immediate options are:

1) try my moms radian in my car again and put the diplomat FF for my mom's car for the occasional ride until shes 40"

2) my extra cosco scenera is too short too for her backwards for the shell. sheesh she's grown. I will either have to put her forward or make my moms seat fit or buy a new one.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

OP here again!

I just managed to get the radian into my car. The diplomat _just_ fits my daughter forward facing like maybe half an inch more so I put it in my moms far forward facing for the moment so she's got something. I also installed the scenera in my car because my baby is a screamer in her bucket seat and maybe she'll like the scenera better, if not, I'll put it forward in my mom's car as there is a significant amount of room left for DD in that one.

I'll check out the complete air if not another radian to keep my daughter RF in my mom's car by giving her the radian back. And then until DD2 doesn't fit in the bucket, we'll have two working car seats for two cars.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM

thumb.gif

Here's a thread with lots of good info on getting a Radian more upright RF.  We have an 04 Corolla, so probably quite similar to your Matrix, and I can get it as upright as 35* (maybe closer to 30* even!).  

When you decide to buy a minivan, you might find it helpful to know that it's frequently a problem to install RF Radians in the captain's chairs of the Toyota Sienna.  I wish Radians weren't so finicky!  Oh well.  DS loves his, and sleeps like a dream on long trips (better than he sleeps at home! :) )

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

User Tag List