Rear-ended... car seat questions? - Mothering Forums
Family Safety > Rear-ended... car seat questions?
mom2cash's Avatar mom2cash 07:53 PM 12-26-2010
How bad does an accident have to be to require the car seats being replaced? This afternoon while driving home and stopped, about to turn right at a red light we were rear-ended. Has anyone successfully had their car seats replaced by the insurance company of someone that hit you? It was hard enough to knock our car forward and my husband and I are feeling some whiplash...

leighi123's Avatar leighi123 08:26 PM 12-26-2010

what seat do you have?  Some carseat companies require replacing after ANY crash even small ones. 

chickabiddy's Avatar chickabiddy 08:37 PM 12-26-2010

If you were injured (whiplash is injury) the seats need to be replaced.  The at-fault driver's insurance should cover it.

mom2cash's Avatar mom2cash 09:06 PM 12-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

what seat do you have?  Some carseat companies require replacing after ANY crash even small ones. 

We have Britaxes... a Marathon and a Boulevard.
an_aurora's Avatar an_aurora 12:46 PM 12-27-2010

Britax follows NHSTA's recommendations for replacement:

Quote:

Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:

• The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;

• The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;

• There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;

• The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND

• There is no visible damage to the safety seat

But given that there were injuries, your seats don't meet the criteria and need to be replaced.  Contact your insurance; when my seats needed to be replaced, my insurance replaced them and then later recouped the money from the at-fault driver's insurance.

mamadelbosque's Avatar mamadelbosque 09:26 AM 12-28-2010

Yeah, I've been rear-ended twice and neither time have I had least bit of trouble getting new seats.

Up