safety of Britax Decathlon affected by recall - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have discontunued Britex Decathlon that has been affected by recall they did in 2007 but it is still two years before exparation of the seat itself.

The reason for recall was that in certain situations, when the harness adjuster strap is pulled to the side at an extreme angle, the bezel may separate from the shell of the child-restraint, which allows the adjuster to move out of position inside the shell housing. This may cause difficulties when trying to properly fasten the child into the carseat restraint. They sent all of the owners of regestered seats adjustment kits. I am not sure we used it or not but bazel part and an adjuster button did fall of in last month when we used the seat. However it did not affect the internal adjustment mechanism and I was able to adjust the harness without any issues.

I have moved overseas and will not need the seat for next two years. I have a friend who needs a seat and doesn't have much money and I am thinking about letting them use it.

If the internal mechanism (metal ratchet like thing) is still working properly would it be safe to use this seat or should i ditch it now. It has never been in any crashes and is well taken care of and would hate to trow it out if someone can use it while we are gone.

Since it is a discontinued model Britex would not sell me a spare part to fix it and they were not helpful at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you put the recall fix on the seat, I'd use it, but otherwise I wouldn't pass it along.  Britax should send you another kit if you misplaced the first one.

CPST & mom

User Tag List