which convertible should we buy this mama (as a gift)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-11-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Ladies ! 

A coworker of ours is having a baby girl.  She has a bucket/infant seat already from a shower...we would like to chip in and get her a GOOD/SAFE convertible seat.  

My DC are already in Nautilus', so I am a little out of the loop as to what is the safest and has the most longevity, etc.  

Please bring me up to date so that we can get this mother a good safe seat as her little one grows. 

Thanks. 

#2 of 10 Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Does she plan on extended rearfacing?  What kind of car does she have? Do you have a budget in mind?  Are there any specific features she is looking for?  Will she use the seat for travel at all? (flying)

My favorites are the TrueFit, Radians, MyRide and complete air. 

All carseats are going to be safe, provided they are used correctly.  Some are outgrown faster than others, and some have different features that may or may not be things you like, and the more expensive seats also have luxury features like nicer quality fabrics and more comfort padding that kind of thing.  So it really depends on what you think she would like.  

#3 of 10 Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

What's your budget, does she need the seat to work in a three-across, are there any other considerations?

Without more information I'd suggest looking at the Safety 1st Complete Air, Evenflo Triumph65, and Graco MyRide.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 10 Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well there isn't really a budget set, since it is a few women chipping in we are hoping to get a nice seat.  

It's her first child, so we dont have to worry about 3 across, etc.  

As far as whether or not she will ERF, I hope so..unfortunately, most people IRL that I know DONT rearface past the first birthday...

#5 of 10 Old 01-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Well it sounds like there are a lot of choices for you then, pretty much anything would work.   

Some seats I would NOT get are the 3 -in-1 alpha omega, and I really dont like the evenflo triumph advance for a few reasons.  Also if you go with a britax, get one of the 'bigger' ones (ie not the roundabout).  

I'd go with a Truefit:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-True-Convertible-Seat/dp/B00166V47K

Radian:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Radian-Convertible-Malibu/dp/B001O5CM7E/ref=sr_1_10?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1294775477&sr=1-10

Complete air:

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Complete-Convertible-Grande/dp/B004FNVSOU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1294775553&sr=1-6

#6 of 10 Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM

I vote True Fit.  The Radians can be tricky, especially for a first timer, and I don't care for anything made by Dorel (Complete Air).  If you have more to spend, go for the True Fit Premier as the harness adjuster is easier to get at because of the anti-rebound bar.  Personally, I also like the Evenflo Triumph Advance or 65.

#7 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 04:16 AM

For someone who doesn't know much about carseats and probably won't research it, I'd get the Evenflo Triumph Advanced or the Complete Air.  The Radian is a tricky install, the TrueFit can be as well if you don't read the manual.  The TrueFit's harness adjustment is an issue for some folks as well, and if she does do her research and decide to ERF, the TrueFit only goes to 35lbs.  I have and love my TrueFit, but I know far too many people who get completely freaked out by the harness or the lockoffs.  If I knew she were having tall light kids (like mine) and that she'd be comfortable with not tightening & loosening the harness every time, and that she'd take the time to learn to use the lockoffs, then I'd vote TrueFit.   If I knew she drove a car that the Radian does well in, I'd vote Radian. :-D  But with so many variables, EFTA or Complete Air are simpler and more common so any carseat checks she visits are more likely to know how to handle them. 

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#8 of 10 Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 AM

We got a complete air recently due to recommendations from this board. We love it. It is very easy to install and use properly. We do not have a car and took it on vacation with us. It was in and out of 3 different vehicles in the two weeks and was easy to install in each of them. It was also very light and easy to take with us on vacation and lug through the airport. It also has a long enough shell that it could ERF for a long time, that would leave the mother up for options as her child grows. 

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#9 of 10 Old 01-14-2011, 07:52 PM

I have a true fit and love it! smile.gif

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#10 of 10 Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 PM

I'd go with the My Ride.  User friendly, easy install, cute patterns, and will last ages :)

CPST & mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page