Please help me figure out 2 new car seats for 4 year old DD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!

I am in need of 2 new car seats for my 4.4 year old dd - 42 inches tall/approx. 40lbs.  She has been in a Britax Boulevard in my 2004 SAAB 9-3 for nearly 4 years.  My car was recently rear-ended and after reviewing the check-list, I've concluded that we need to replace the car seat.  In addition, dh has just acquired a 2004 Dodge Durango for which we will also have to get a new car seat.

For the Durango, I was thinking about either the Britax Frontier or the Recaro ProSport.  What are your thoughts about these car seats - do you like one better than the other?  I'd like to keep her in a 5pt harness as long as possible, but I do like the option of eventually using the car seat as a booster.

I'm stuck on what kind of car seat to replace in the SAAB.  The problem is that the SAAB 9-3 has a small backseat.  DD has been feeling little claustrophobic in it as she has grown longer.  Sometimes it takes a long time to talk her into getting in the car seat because she feels too enclosed.  Most likely, I'll get the Frontier or the ProSport for it, but was wondering what you all thought about the Safety 1st Go Hybrid as well?  It seems to have a smaller footprint, which dd would like and it still has a bigger weight maximum for the 5 pt harness.

Any thoughts/suggestions about car seats would be much appreciated.  TIA!

#2 of 5 Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 PM

I really like the Frontier and the Graco Nautilus. I live in Canada so the Recaro seat is unavailable here. My 5 son is in a Frontier and he seems to find it quite comfortable. The one thing you will need to check ins that the seat part of the Frontier is quite long. When I tried to install it in a SUV third row there was not enough room for any legs to fit between the seat and the back of the seat ahead. Instead I installed a Radian which is quite tall and narrow with a shorter seat area, it might be a good solution for your SAAB. It doesn't convert to a booster but it is a very tall seat so should last a while unless your child is a lot taller than other kids their age.

#3 of 5 Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM

I'd go with the Frontier 85 or the graco nautilus.  I've read that the seat depth is less on the ProSport and kids legs go tingly and fall asleep after just a short while. 

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#4 of 5 Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM

My 4.5 year old rides in a Nautilus in our Saab. It seems comfortable for her, especially in the middle where she has a good view of everything. We have a 2001 9-5, so maybe the seats are different than in your 9-3, though.

#5 of 5 Old 01-18-2011, 03:07 PM

The major difference between the ProSport and the Frontier85:

ProSport has a weight limit of 90lbs, but top shoulder strap height of 18-18.5"

Frontier85 has a weight limit of 85lbs, but top shoulder strap height of 20"

I am a huge fan of the Nautilus. I have one and both kids love it. It's sturdy, solid, 18ish" top slots, and a 65lb weight limit that my kids won't reach until they are 15, LOL. Also, unlike the above seats, it converts into both a HBB and a backless booster.

Barring special circumstances, most seats are outgrown in height before weight.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page