Do you consider microwave ok for baby's food? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post

Well, since plants use radiation to MAKE food, and I eat plants, I guess my comfort level starts right there!    I'm a big fan of UVA and UVB radiation, myself, since it warms the earth, makes plants grow, and helps me make necessary Vitamin D.   Sure, too much of it DOES cause skin cancer, I guess ... but without it, we'd all die.  

Long story short: There are lots of kinds of "radiation."     

True... just choices of what you are comfortable with.

This is one of those hot topics that can make one's blood boil. 

We do not use microwaves and haven't now for oh... 4 years.   It personally just isn't in the cards for me.  My research and my gut says it just feels wrong, so that is why it is a no go.  I am so chemically sensitive that it is just one more bad energy out of my system. 

Oh... I am also one of those who cares about what pans are used too. 

'09   
#32 of 48 Old 02-04-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyme Mama View Post

touche

there are different types of radiation obviously. i'm sorry i wasn't more specific. rolleyes.gif microwave radiation imo is the "bad" kind of radiation. imho, telling yourselves that "there are all kinds of radiation, so microwaves are just fine" is a salve to your consciences. microwave cooking is lazy. it is not harder to heat something on the stove or in a toaster oven. tastes better too. the fact that microwaves alter breast milk and destroy it tells me quite plainly that it destroys the nutrients in other foods too.

clap.gifLove it

'09   
#33 of 48 Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Because of the breastmilk thing, I wouldn't microwave yogurt an expect the probiotics to do anything for me afterwards. But I think that a mix of microwaved broccoli and fresh broccoli will be healthier than fresh alone and far far better than only eating boiled veggies.

#34 of 48 Old 02-04-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty fond of the suns radiation too! Thanks for all the interesting discussion folks!

#35 of 48 Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

OP here again: I didnt see there was a 2nd page of comments when I replied above! Mom2M- Wow! The chemists perspective is very much appreciated. Looking forward to chceking out that link and to reading the other comments here. I really appreciate the discussion!

#36 of 48 Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

OP again: What happened to cats who ate microwaved food?

#37 of 48 Old 02-05-2011, 08:18 AM

The study about cats eating cooked food is called the Pottenger cat study. It actually has nothing to do with eating microwaved food.
Pottenger was doing research on cats to test how strong adrenal extract was, by removing their adrenal glands and supplementing them with the extract to replace their adrenal gland function.
He noticed that when he ran out of his supply of cooked meat and had to substitute raw meat, the cats had better post op survival.

He decided to do a study on cooked vs raw meat in cats diet and found that cooking the meat denatured the protein and caused a deficiency in the amino acid taurine. As he bred the cats and continued to feed them cooked meat, mutations developed because of the lack of taurine.
Cats did fine on a diet of cooked meat when the food was supplemented with taurine after cooking.

He did NOT cook the meat in a microwave, lol

Somehow, this experiment got mixed in with people saying "hey, look, the cooking in the microwave deforms proteins and causes vitamin deficiency just like Pottenger's cat experiment so it must follow that the mutations seen in the future generations of his cats deprived of taurine will happen in humans!"
But he never cooked it in a microwave.

Looking at one of the more aggressively anti-microwave sites, they mention the cat study but add this to the end of it ""The overall experiment had some of the earmarks of the Pottenger cat studies, except that now human beings were test objects, the experiment's time-frame was shorter, and a new heat form was tested." Why this study is relevant to microwave use, I have yet to discover.
ETA link to this site http://www.all-natural.com/microwa1.html

Any heat source (as mentioned by pp) denatures proteins. http://www.chemistryexplained.com/Co-Di/Denaturation.html

Looking at studies on cow milk, because there are a lot of really good ones, you can see that protein denaturation is desirable in production of cheese and yogurt for example. Changing the structure of the proteins can make the texture different which is what you want in yogurt and cheese.
In this study, http://www.milkfacts.info/Milk%20Composition/protein.htm, there is an explanation of how this happens. Also, at the end it mentions pasteurization. If you scroll down to the last section, it talks about the effects of heat and mentions the effect of severe heating causing damage to some amino acids.
What I'm thinking (this is my opinion) is that when you heat breastmilk in the microwave, you get those hot spots and the possibility of losing important nutrients could be because those hot spots imitate severe heat results like they talk about here.
When warming slowly in water on the stove, the heat is better controlled and doesn't reach that severe heat treatment level.

Link to book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Pottengers-Cats-Francis-Marion-Pottenger/dp/0916764060/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296920670&sr=1-1

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#38 of 48 Old 02-05-2011, 04:17 PM

Eh, I don't think it's the same study I originally read....here's part of it from http://owen.curezone.com/healing/trashmicrowave.html

Quote:

Andreas finishes up with a chilling story which I'll paraphrase. Russian scientists took thousands of healthy cats, and gave them nothing but nutritious and natural foods that had been heated in a microwave for just 1 minute. The result? In six months, all the cats were dead. When the scientists performed autopsies on some of the cats, they found that the animals had literally starved to death. The cells in their bodies contained no trace of nutrient components, even though the dead bodies looked well-fed. "Microwaves had turned their food into deadly poison." 

That just kind of turned me off. Let me just say first off the reason why most of us aren't dead from microwaving though, is because we don't eat every single meal or snack from the microwave all day, like the cats did. Like others have said, microwaving for us just doesn't feel right for us. My husband is not a health concious person really. He thinks I go too overboard looking for healthy things and pointing out non-healthy ingredients in products. But even for him, he didn't like the research on microwaves either and was thrilled to rid of it. I think people should do whatever they want. Including microwaving. I am not trying to persuade either way, it's just not for us.

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
#39 of 48 Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babina's Mommy View Post

Eh, I don't think it's the same study I originally read....here's part of it from http://owen.curezone.com/healing/trashmicrowave.html

Quote:

Andreas finishes up with a chilling story which I'll paraphrase. Russian scientists took thousands of healthy cats, and gave them nothing but nutritious and natural foods that had been heated in a microwave for just 1 minute. The result? In six months, all the cats were dead. When the scientists performed autopsies on some of the cats, they found that the animals had literally starved to death. The cells in their bodies contained no trace of nutrient components, even though the dead bodies looked well-fed. "Microwaves had turned their food into deadly poison." 

That just kind of turned me off. Let me just say first off the reason why most of us aren't dead from microwaving though, is because we don't eat every single meal or snack from the microwave all day, like the cats did. Like others have said, microwaving for us just doesn't feel right for us. My husband is not a health concious person really. He thinks I go too overboard looking for healthy things and pointing out non-healthy ingredients in products. But even for him, he didn't like the research on microwaves either and was thrilled to rid of it. I think people should do whatever they want. Including microwaving. I am not trying to persuade either way, it's just not for us.

The thing is... you have to consider the source. Anyone can write a book, or an article on the internet. A lot of the statements in this article are just blatantly false.

But don't believe me (or all of the peer-reviewed articles) to the contrary. I'd suggest that instead you try an experiment. The article claims that "microwave-treated water does not sprout seeds". That's an easy one to test. I suggest that you go buy six bean seeds, and plant each in a separate cup, and water three with water from your tap and three with water that someone has microwaved for a minute and then let cool. It would be best if you didn't know which water was which, so maybe you could get a friend to give you a gallon of plain water and a gallon of microwaved water and not tell you which was which until the end of the experiment. 

It might be a lot of fun for your kids... heck, if anyone's kids are looking for a science fair project this year they could take it on!

Oh, and my 19 year old cat has her food microwaved every day and she's, well, 19...  Mom2M's explanation of the cat food thing makes a lot more sense, and microwaving a serving of cat food for a minutes would definitely cook it thoroughly enough to destroy the taurine... as would cooking it in a saucepan. A few seconds is usually enough to take the chill off the food for Cozy, and then I stir it well... it makes it more palatable for her, and since she's a skinny old cat I indulge her a bit.

homestyle likes this.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#40 of 48 Old 02-05-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the multiple cat study info, including skinny old cat study! I love the detailed and researched info here!

#41 of 48 Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 AM

The microwaved water and plant theory is a lie. http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp and http://www.eclecticscience.net/experiments/001-microwave-plants/summary.html has the results of a larger double blind study.

And microwaves aren't banned in Russia anymore, so I find it suspicious that anti-microwave sites present the FORMER ban as evidence.

#42 of 48 Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantho View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post

Well, since plants use radiation to MAKE food, and I eat plants, I guess my comfort level starts right there!    I'm a big fan of UVA and UVB radiation, myself, since it warms the earth, makes plants grow, and helps me make necessary Vitamin D.   Sure, too much of it DOES cause skin cancer, I guess ... but without it, we'd all die.  

Long story short: There are lots of kinds of "radiation."     

True... just choices of what you are comfortable with.

This is one of those hot topics that can make one's blood boil. 

We do not use microwaves and haven't now for oh... 4 years.   It personally just isn't in the cards for me.  My research and my gut says it just feels wrong, so that is why it is a no go.  I am so chemically sensitive that it is just one more bad energy out of my system. 

Oh... I am also one of those who cares about what pans are used too. 

Well let's hope that blood isn't being boiled in a microwave! Sorry, I just couldn't resist.Sheepish.gif

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#43 of 48 Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babina's Mommy View Post

Anyone read the study online about the cats being fed microwaved cat food? Yeah that's what did it for us.

No, I haven't read the study, and neither have you. I've read someone talking about the supposed study online, without a citation -- just like your post. I doubt the study exists, and I've come across several different versions of the story. The fact is, if there is such a study, you don't know the findings, you don't know how it was conducted, you don't know whether it was ever peer-reviewed or published, you don't know whether it might have later been retracted for shoddy methodology. Without a citation, you know nothing.

People, take note. If there's anything you don't like, all you have to do is make up a scary sounding study about it, and post vaguely about it online. Because nobody can find the study to refute it, the story will keep making the rounds forever, probably getting scarier as it goes. Why, look at this reference -- it doesn't even say what the results of the study were. It just says there's a study and we're left to infer that the results were scary.

In the most complex version I've found, and therefore probably the closest to the source, the cats were fed nothing but microwaved cat food for six months and died of insufficient nutrition, and there was a control group. Which suggests that the person who made up the study considerably underestimated the gullibility of the public and the general level of ignorance about science is done, since a lot of people have been repeating much less credible versions of the story. Such as the one I'm responding to here.

The real reason people don't like microwaves is that doing more work makes them feel virtuous.

#44 of 48 Old 11-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASkeptic View Post

The real reason people don't like microwaves is that doing more work makes them feel virtuous.

This is a really old thread but anyway.... the real reason I don't like microwaves is because I don't care for the way most foods cooked in them taste (mostly because of the texture). We don't have a microwave in the house anymore because it took up too much space for the twice a month it was used to soften butter. It has nothing to do with feeling virtuous about preparing 'slow foods' eyesroll.gif

#45 of 48 Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, I find it super convenient actually. It is my favorite ways to make purees because everything is cooked evenly and dishwasher ready. You do have to be careful about hot spots when reheating.

#46 of 48 Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 AM

We have a microwave but don't use it a ton. I would rather use the toaster oven or stove to heat things up. We use the microwave occasionally but I'm not super comfortable with it. My H is really paranoid about it.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#47 of 48 Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Have you ever tasted microwaved food? If you did a taste test isnt the answer clear? Common sense?
#48 of 48 Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 AM

I embrace technology that makes my life easier and has been proven safe. So yes, I use a microwave when cooking food for any age.

Check out this video about cooking methods and how well they destroy or preserve nutrients: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CblEnrysVIA

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page