Safest Booster Seat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Where can I find info about the safest booster seats?  My 7-year-old is outgrowing his Radian65.  He's fine on height and weight, but the strap is really tight in the crotch and he's been complaining of discomfort every time we go anywhere in the car.  I'm fairly comfortable moving him to a booster at this age.

Is the Graco High Back Turbobooster a good choice?  Or can you recommend something better?  Price is an issue, because I have an infant or convertible seat (no idea which one yet), a second seat for my 5-year-old (Nautilus most likely), and two of whatever booster I decide on to purchase in the next few months. 

Thanks!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 AM

For boosters, the best way to find out is to go try some in your car.  Because of different seatbelts, one might fit better than another in your car.  The turbobooster seems to most kids pretty well.   

Here is what proper booster fit looks like compared to bad booster fit:

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html

I would also make sure its comfortable for him.

Here are some comparisons of different boosters:

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/Boosterfit.aspx

#3 of 13 Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 AM
MJB

We just bought a Turbobooster for my 5 yr. old who was in a Radian. He still had about 1" in the Radian but is a pretty mature kindergartner and I agreed to let him move to a booster. The Turbobooster fits him great, and my 8 yr. old (53") still fits in it but would outgrow it very soon. We just removed the back from his booster. It sounds like your guy is pretty small if he is 7 and has room in the Radian, so the Turbobooster would probably last him a good while with the back. The Safety 1st Boost Air has a taller back that would last longer, and has giant, air-filled headwings. It's $60. We tried out both and got the Turbobooster because the Boost Air's headwings made it hard to see out my back window, plus the Turbobooster is on sale for $35 at Target this week. They both fit well and seem very safe.

If your budget is higher, the Britax Parkway SG, Sunshine Kids Monterey, and Recaro Probooster are all fancy. I don't think it's necessary to spend that much on a booster when the Turbobooster fits most kids and cars so well, though. There are specific reasons why you might but for a small 7 yr. old, I'd get something more affordable. 

#4 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

For boosters, the best way to find out is to go try some in your car. Because of different seatbelts, one might fit better than another in your car. The turbobooster seems to most kids pretty well.

Huh. I've NEVER seen a lap belt positioned properly on an ADULT, much less a child. That picture is the first I've ever seen where the belt goes over the thighs and not across the stomach. In fact, the second (wrong) pic is exactly how everybody I know wears their lap belt. I'm going to have to check now to see if I can even get the thing to lay the way it's supposed to.

#5 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesmc View Post

Quote:

For boosters, the best way to find out is to go try some in your car. Because of different seatbelts, one might fit better than another in your car. The turbobooster seems to most kids pretty well.

Huh. I've NEVER seen a lap belt positioned properly on an ADULT, much less a child. That picture is the first I've ever seen where the belt goes over the thighs and not across the stomach. In fact, the second (wrong) pic is exactly how everybody I know wears their lap belt. I'm going to have to check now to see if I can even get the thing to lay the way it's supposed to.

Thats the point of a booster, to position the lap belt across the hips, not the tummy (which is where all of the important stuff lives).  

Its a bit different for an adult vs. a child, an adults bones have fully developed, and past puberty are a different shape.  Thats why many kids need to be in a booster until they are 8-12yrs old + (and pass the "5 step test")  LOTS of people take their kids out of boosters way before they are big enough to fit in an adult belt safely/correctly.  

I'm pretty small (5'2", and under 100lbs), but I can get most seatbelts to fit me correctly, I just have to remember to put the lap belt in the right place when I buckle up.    Its WAY more comfortable on the hips vs on the gut.  (and safer of course!).

#6 of 13 Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 AM

We have a Turbobooster for 8(almost 9) year old DS. He's about average size for his age, and still has a fair bit of room in it. It's been a good seat, and I would buy another whenever DS2 ends up moving into a booster, which I'm just really not sure about..... 

#7 of 13 Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 PM

Another vote for the Turbobooster.  My 8 year old still has the back on his, and I am guessing he is about 50" (it is on the highest setting though).  But even with the back off, I think it will fit him fine backless till he is ready for an adult seatbelt.  I plan to get my DD a Turbobooster whenever she gets to 40 lb (she is 5 and like 33 lb now).

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#8 of 13 Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#9 of 13 Old 01-25-2011, 12:52 PM

If you have tall kids, the Turbobooster is not the greatest choice. My oldest daughter was too tall for the TB before she even moved into a booster. She has a long torso and the Monterey was the only seat where she could use the back at all. At 8.5, she almost passes the 5-step test, and still uses the Monterey as a backless booster.

#10 of 13 Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

We're going to be buying the seat this weekend and I'm wondering what stores we should look at that offer the ability to try the seat out in your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

For boosters, the best way to find out is to go try some in your car.  Because of different seatbelts, one might fit better than another in your car.  The turbobooster seems to most kids pretty well.    

#11 of 13 Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Babies R Us lets you take out seats to your car to fiddle with.

Mama of three.

#12 of 13 Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post

Babies R Us lets you take out seats to your car to fiddle with.

Thank you!  We'll head to BRU then.

#13 of 13 Old 02-10-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesmc View Post

Quote:

Thats the point of a booster, to position the lap belt across the hips, not the tummy (which is where all of the important stuff lives).  

Its a bit different for an adult vs. a child, an adults bones have fully developed, and past puberty are a different shape.  Thats why many kids need to be in a booster until they are 8-12yrs old + (and pass the "5 step test")  LOTS of people take their kids out of boosters way before they are big enough to fit in an adult belt safely/correctly.  

I'm pretty small (5'2", and under 100lbs), but I can get most seatbelts to fit me correctly, I just have to remember to put the lap belt in the right place when I buckle up.    Its WAY more comfortable on the hips vs on the gut.  (and safer of course!).

Honestly, what i meant is not that I've never been able to get my seatbelt to fit properly - but rather that I never knew that it was SUPPOSED to go over your thighs rather than across your stomach. I've learned that with only a bit of positioning I can get it where it's supposed to be, but when and where are people supposed to learn this? Nobody I know wears their belt properly - probably because they don't KNOW the proper way to wear it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page