Has anyone purchased any natural based paints or NO VOC paints that they are happy with? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last year my husband and I painted almost the whole house when we moved in with Home Depot's Freshaire No VOC paint.  It's horrible.  It peels off the walls so easily.  It washes off with a rag, etc.  I've since learned that there have been many complaints about it.  Now it's time to paint our soon-to-be son's room and I really want a natural based paint.  I don't want to waste money on a horrible product so I was wondering if anyone out there has used any paints they have been happy with?  Thanks for any suggestions!

heartbeat.gif Loving wife to DH of 7 years and Mama to Colton - April 13, 2011baby.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 03:47 PM

wow, now I'm glad the freshaire paint was sold out when I went to buy.  I went with... olympic?  low voc at lowes because its the only other decent option I had in town and I wasn't ordering out.

I had found this though http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_paints.htm

#3 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM

We've been happy with Mythic paint.  It has no VOC's and is non-toxic.

LauraSP4 likes this.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#4 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 04:55 PM

I was just googling and I saw Sherwin Williams harmony got some good reviews. My new (very old) house is in desperate need of paint, but I wanted to wait until the spring so I wouldn't be gassed out. I would love to be able to do the bedroom at least with a no-voc paint. I would really like to make my own paint, but I don't know if I'm up for that. :P

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#5 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Check this company out. They also sell raw tung oil, and you could use that for durability on walls that you would like to wash, or you could use wax (not paraffin), which is also very durable.

I'm on the hunt for paint that won't make us sick, and that doesn't poison the soil outside when it rains. The Real Milk Paint Co. does indoor and outdoor paint. I haven't tried it, but it seems wonderful. Their raw tung oil is my choice for our new floors this summer, too.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#6 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 PM

NAK and typing one handed...

Soulemama just painted her new house and talks about the paint...  soulemama.com 

You;l have to search or scroll back.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#7 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 05:51 PM

nak

freshair def sucked. i've heard good things about benjamin moore's low voc paint.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#8 of 24 Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 PM

Aren't most paints nowadays low VOC?

#9 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 03:01 AM

Benjamin Moore has a super high quality but very pricey paint called Natura that is zero VOC.  They also make another zero-VOC paint that isn't really advertised and is lower quality (but still great quality in my experience) called EcoSpec.  Our whole house is done in EcoSpec.

#10 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 AM

We used the Sherwin Williams no-VOC paint (Harmony, I think) and have been happy with it.  It is pricier than the Lowes & Home-Depot paints, but IME higher quality. 

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#11 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM

We used Benjamin Moore Natura paint, painting about 1500 sq feet with it. We loved it. No odor at all, went on well - although did usually require 2-3 coats. Seems very durable.

#12 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM

I got paint from Sherwin Williams and it was disgusting. It stunk worse than paint from Walmart lol. (In fact, their paint hasn't smelled over powering to me, so it's not like I'm super sensitive either.)

I tried to return it within two hours of purchasing it, and after loading it into my car with the reciept and the other unopened cans of paint, and dragging them in for a refund, they blew me off and told me I'd have to come back later and talk to the manager. Like I'm going to haul the cans back to my car, and then back into the store later. I was so mad. Like dangerously angry.greensad.gif I'll never shop there again.

And eco friendly my ass.bigeyes.gif

#13 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 01:34 PM

I've used the Freshaire (Home Depot), Harmony (Sherwin Williams) and Natura ( Benjamin Moore). I believe they are all zero VOC and I don't think any of them smelled that bad. 

Freshaire was the cheapest and it had a chalky finish with the matte. I didn't have any trouble with it peeling but it did wash off some when I tried to clean the wall where my son drew with pencil. 

Harmony and Natura were both good. The Harmony I first used about 4 years ago and the paint has held up well. I used the Natura line in my son's room, dinning room and living room this summer so it hasn't been tested for as long. 

Clementine- What line of paint did you go with from Sherwin Williams? Also I believe they are franchises so each store is independent. 

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#14 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 03:43 PM

We used milk paint to paint two kitchen benches along with the milk paint sealer and we are able to scrub it with a cloth and it doesn't come off.  It might be too pricey for walls though but it looks really neat.

#15 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 04:15 PM

I just went and found Soulemama's  'paint post'.

Hope it helps!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#16 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much.  I'll check it out!

heartbeat.gif Loving wife to DH of 7 years and Mama to Colton - April 13, 2011baby.gif

#17 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I'll keep researching and look into some of the ones suggested.

#18 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

I bought some from Benjamin Moore and it worked great.  I can't remember the name tho.

#19 of 24 Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoriesInTheSoil View Post

Benjamin Moore has a super high quality but very pricey paint called Natura that is zero VOC.  They also make another zero-VOC paint that isn't really advertised and is lower quality (but still great quality in my experience) called EcoSpec.  Our whole house is done in EcoSpec.

nak

we used a combo of these throughout whole house.  very, very happy.  i went with several colors, a few bright ones in a couple rooms...great paint & went on well etc.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#20 of 24 Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 PM

Mythic Paint!! 

I *am* super sensitive to paint smells and there was no smell.  It's a great company - they can match competitor's colors if you want, but they have tons of colors.

Worth every penny.  And then some!

#21 of 24 Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM

We are happy with Mythic, and have also had good luck with Benjamin Moore's 0 voc paint. I still think both smell bad when going on, but the smell fades quickly.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#22 of 24 Old 01-26-2011, 10:31 PM

Mythic is one of the only paints that is truly NO VOC.  The advertised big name brands, Ben Moore and Sherwin Williams etc., are not actually No VOC and mostly not low voc either.  The base paint is no or low voc, the pigment is regular voc paint, making your then no voc base pretty much high voc as soon as you color it.  We did much research and found Mythic to be the best out there right now.

ETA:  This was about 6-8 mos now.  It looks like BM has a new paint out, Natura?  Will have to look into that.  I know the old paint they advertised as no voc, had voc in the coloring.  Just make sure to really ask questions when you are buying no voc paint. ;)

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#23 of 24 Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 AM

I was in BM last week, and they told me that their colours no longer have VOCs in them.  I didn't ask since when, and I didn't make any phone calls to confirm (it was the sales man that told me this).

#24 of 24 Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 AM

I've used Sherwin Williams' Harmony, Pittsburg Paint's Pure Performance, and Graham Aqua Bourne Ceramic. I thought the Harmony was really runny and drippy and a pain to apply, but I was happy with it once it was up and didn't have any trouble with peeling. I used it in a bathroom and a child's room.

The Pure Performance was fine - much thicker than the Harmony, so it was easier to apply, and it has stayed well. The Aqua Bourne Ceramic is my favorite, though. It is so durable and washable! I've had it in my kitchen for 4 years now and it still looks great! The paint store I purchased from said either of these are no-VOC bases, and could be no or low VOC, depending on what color you pick. I used very vibrant colors (red and burnt orange), so the pigment did make it low-VOC.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page