Did anyone start with a convertible car seat for a newborn and regret not getting an infant bucket? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Honestly if money isn't that big of a concern I would just buy the bucket and the convertible now.  I was gifted a great convertible seat for my ds and didn't really have the money to buy a bucket for him, so I didn't.  All in all I never needed one.  But there were a few times (maybe 6?) it would have been handy to have.  And other people (including many MDC moms) seems to swear by them for certain things (like naps out in public while tiny).  So chances are you will get some use out of it.  And if not, you could probably gift it or sell it or something to someone else later.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 09:14 PM

If money isn't a huge concern, I'd get a bucket now and a convertible later. A bucket that never leaves the car is basically the same as a convertible, but it's more likely to fit a newborn comfortably. The main advantage that a convertible has over an infant seat is that it will last longer and therefore save you money in the long run.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah32 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post

Quote:
I understand about no coats in the car seats, but with a bucket, you can put a blanket over them without interfering with the straps. I'm not hauling him into a Mei Tai while dragging the long straps through slush puddles. Not to mention, what about my coat? I don't always want to wear my baby and a coat underneath once we are inside.

I just wanted to address this, because this problem is fixable.  :)

First, you can put a blanket over babies in a convertible too.  No coats under the straps, use blankets, it's the SAME whether using a bucket or a convertible.

As for the mei tai -- what you do is you put it on at home.  Wear it *under* your coat.  Baby doesn't need a heavy coat of his own because he's in your coat and using your body heat.  You need a coat that's large enough, obviously, and don't zip it all the way to the top so baby has air (keeping baby breathing is a good thing ;)  ) or a specialized babywearing coat.  Unzip your jacket and loosen the mei tai a bit to take baby out but don't completely untie it, baby goes into the car seat, blanket over baby.  Leave the mei tai on under your re-zipped coat while you drive wherever you're going.

When you arrive, reverse the process.  Get baby into the mei tai, then snug up the straps.  Mostly zip your coat over baby, you're good to go.  This same procedure works with any kind of sling carrier.  The main advantage of the specialized babywearing jackets is that there's an opening for baby's head or just for airflow, so you can still have neck coverage for yourself.  If you're serious about babywearing and live in a cold region, it's worth considering the investment.  But a large enough jacket will do *almost* as well in *most* situations.  And with baby under your coat, you get the warmth for baby without them needing a heavy jacket, and you can just take off your coat when you get inside without having to re-do the whole sling situation.  

It takes a little practice to do all this, of course, but once you've got the hang of it it's a piece of cake.  Personally, I found it easiest when using a stretchy wrap.  The 'give' in a stretchy wrap means I don't have to loosen anything.  I could pop her in and out, just leaving it tied on.  

Again, it seems to me that these reasons people have for using the bucket apply equally well to older babies, they're not exclusive to bucket-sized babies.  "What about the straps dragging, what about my coat?"  Those problems don't magically go away when baby is older, you'll still have to figure out how to get your baby from the car into the store or wherever when they've outgrown the bucket.  So since you have to deal with it ANYWAY, it just seems simpler to me to figure it out when baby is smaller and more easily portable.  ;)   

There are also thousands of babies injured every year in bucket-related accidents that were NOT in cars.  Either from buckets being dropped, like shopping carts falling over, or from the bucket itself not working -- there have been recalls over handles failing, for instance.  I really just wish they would stop marketing them as *carriers*.  

Yeah, but what do you do when you need to take them out of the convertible? I know! Drop the blanket into the snow/slush. Wheee! Been there, done that. Not doing it next time. I do admire your coordination though, because, honestly, your Mei Tai suggestion? Um not workable for me.

A bucket it is for my next one.

I don't think she was telling you you couldn't get a bucket, winky.gif just giving suggestions for how to deal with the issues you presented, which don't have much to do with caseat choice. I have a down vest that I wear when I'm just going in and out of a store or something, it's my dh's so it's big enough to snap around myself and my baby, I use mostly a baby k'tan but also a ring sling and an ergo, I don't like mei tais or wraps much because they're just harder to deal with when I'm out and about for the reasons you mentioned. I just keep my carrier on under my vest and I'm plenty warm to walk a short distance. If I'm going to be outside for a while I'll wear my babywearing vest (I have a peekaru) and my coat over top. It's all over my carrier though so I don't have to take my carrier off and put my baby down once I get inside.

As for what you do when you need to take the baby out of the convertible seat, well, put the blanket over the back of the seat or hold it in the other hand or on the floor of the car or on the seat beside the baby's seat or in the seat in front or...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM

I started off baby #3 in his True Fit.  I also had a bucket that my SIL gave me that we also used, but I just didn't see the convenience. I took it out of the car ONCE to take it in Costco, and then my son woke up 2 minutes later, so I had to pick him up and cuddle him and figure out what to do with the cart, bucket and other kids.  ;)  I ended up sending DH to the car to return the bucket and grab my wrap.  

My routine was to put the wrap on at home (I generally just wore it all the time at home anyway), then get baby out of the seat and slip him into the wrap, and sometimes I would tuck a blanket around the outside of the wrap just so I had it, so it would be warm to put him back into his seat when we were ready to leave.  

I'm not coordinated enough to use a tie carrier, :lol but I love my Beco, Ergo and stretchy wrap carrier.  The transition isn't that difficult especially after the first couple of tries.  

CPST & mom

Old 01-24-2011, 03:18 PM

I had buckets with #1 and #2 but skipped it with #3.  I just remember them being so heavy and bulky that they were hard to take anywhere anyway.  DS3 is 5 months old and I've yet to have an experience where I thought "Oh, I can't do this, I don't have a bucket!".  It's the middle of Minnesota winter, too, and it hasn't been an issue.  Light fleece bunting and bunches of blankets work fine.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM

I used a bucket with DS1, and a convertible with DS2. I preferred the convertable. I live in a cold climate (WI), and DS2 was a winter baby. I really didn't find it that hard to quickly pop him out of the convertable and into a Moby Wrap. He stayed warm in the Moby wearing just a fleece and a hat and mittens with a fleece blanket thrown over him even in the dead of winter, and it was so much easier on my back than carrying a bucket around. I did not regret the decision at all.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 AM

I liked having a bucket seat for these reasons:

-my baby was small, 5.5 pounds at birth, and would have felt lost in a convertible, even though they are rated for 5 lbs up.

-we lived in Arizona, the plastic and metal parts would get so hot if left in the car they could have easily burnt the baby in a fraction of a second, I liked being able to bring the bucket into the house 30 minutes before going anywhere to let the seat cool off before putting baby in it.

-I like being able to use the same seat for 2 cars (having 2 bases)

-We have a Radian80 now, if I had to put it at a 45 degree angle for a newborn no-one would be able to sit in the passenger front seat, I suspect it is like this for many convertibles in compact or midsize cars.

-FWIW I rarely carried the bucket with DS in it, but there were maybe a dozen times he fel asleep in the carseat and it was very convenient to just bring him into the house sleeping and get a 10 or 15 minute break!

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 AM

We're starting with a convertible for this one.  I learned with DD I didn't need a bucket, since she hated it.  She was so much happier when we switched her to a convertible at 4 weeks.  I found it easier to pop her into a carrier and then deal with DS anyways vs carrying the baby bucket.  I never worried about the blankets falling on the ground, since they were just as likely to do that with the bucket as well.  I also just put on the carrier before I got in the car and popped baby in and then tightened it, it worked fine.  Since even if DD fell asleep in the bucket she was awake by the time we got out of the car and screaming in her bucket, the whole letting her sleep thing didn't work either.  She was far more likely to fall back asleep in the carrier then the bucket.   She also fit the convertible much better then the bucket, it almost felt like she was swimming in the bucket, while she looked much more comfortable and like she fit better with the convertible.

With this one we have a small car and have to fit 3 car seat in our backseat.  The easiest way to do this is with a convertible for the baby, in fact I don't think I can do it with a baby bucket.  So baby is likely going to be in a Coccoro while DS will be in a forward facing Radian and DD will be in a rear facing Radian.  I don't think there is any other way to make the car seats fit my car other then to go for 3 Radians, which would work, but I prefer the Coccoro for newbie since it is a bit smaller for a newborn and I don't have to put the seat as far forward with it.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM

We had a bucket and hated it too. I did not find it convienient to carry that dang thing around. I switched to the convertible at like 2 m/o and it was much better. I would just pop her out even if sleeping and place her on my chest in the cradle position in a wrap (already wrapped around me) It was soooooo much easier and she got used to being taken out. She's 15 m/o in the same seat and I can take her out and she will continue sleeping.

Don't waste the money!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 PM

I started with just a convertible with DS1, and found he was really too small for it. He was average size, but still really didn't fit. We have a Britax Roundabout. Maybe if I'd started with a TrueFit, it would have been a different story. We ended up buying the cheap Snugride to tide us over until he grew a bit. I agree it's a pain of a carseat, but he did fit in it better. Now with DS2 we are borrowing a Chico KeyFit 30, and I LOVE it. So comfortable for the LO and I feel like he fits in it really well. I wear him almost all the time, but still find it useful to have the carseat in the house to warm it up a bit, put him in and cover him with a blanket before I carry him out. We don't have severe winters, but little newborns just don't have much cold tolerance, so it's nice to be able to make those transitions gentler. Having the option of getting him strapped in while we are still in the house also makes the juggling act of getting both kids in the car a little easier for me.

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I know most of these points have already been said but oh well.

1. We have a small car and a baby who HATES being buckled in.  Its incredibly awkward to try to fit myself in the doorway and buckle in a baby who is screaming and arching his back.  I'll have to do it eventually but I don't want to purposely torture myself if I don't have to.

2. Its freaking windy here.  Its not incredibly cold (although it will be in 2 weeks when I'm back in Michigan) but even I'm cold in a thick hoodie the minute and a half I'm outside.

3. Just because you *have* the option to remove the carseat from the base doesn't mean you have to.  We bring the bucket in the house but not in the store.

4. Sometimes you aren't in a store long enough to justify getting them out of the seat.  The other day I had to run into the corner gas station to use the ATM.  Its illegal to leave him in the car alone (not that I would) but it would easily take 4x as long to get him out of the seat and back in it than I would spend inside.

5. Yes its nice to take them in the house while they're still sleeping even if you don't leave them in it.  I can bring him in and set him down (still asleep) while I put away the groceries and THEN wake him up.  Its very inconvenient for me DS and I when he wakes up and needs me *immediately* while I have frozen foods that also need put away *immediately* and I'm the only one home.  When he outgrows his bucket he'll also be old enough to wait a few minutes while I get the most urgent things taken care of.

And #6.  Sometimes I'm in a hurry to go somewhere.  I don't have time to warm up the car and I don't have time to change him into some warmer clothes.

In short, I love my bucket and I hate my bucket (for being heavy and awkward) but I think its worth the money we paid for it.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

haven't read all the replies, but we did. We had a true fit, and regretted it, and ended up using a snugride. DS was so, so, so very tiny. He simply didn't fit in the trufit-- the ride home from the hospital was scary!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 01-27-2011, 02:46 PM

Hmm.

We started DD in a TrueFit, and ended up buying a bucket when she was about a month old.  We used the bucket in one car, TF in the other. I didn't really have a preference. DD was 7 lbs, but I think if she were any smaller the TF would have been big.  So I'd say there's no reason that you NEED a bucket, but if you can swing one of each, give yourself the option.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:57 PM

i borrowed a bucket for dd1, born in summer in the south.  she cried whenever in it so we never used it outside the car.  for her i would have been fine starting with a convertible.

with dd2 i planned to just get a convertible.  she was born in the midwest in the winter but we were soon to move back to the south.  well the seat (TF) got put on back order and arrived after dd.  i borrowed a seat (did ask for a specific kind, just needed a seat)  it was an infant bucket.  i was so glad i had it and was sad when i had to give it back.  dd2 had to go to the dr daily for the first week she came home.  i was also selling my home and had to leave several times a day for showings.  dd2 was a great sleeper and would stay asleep as long as she stayed in the bucket.  once in the convertible she would wake up every time i would take her out.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 AM

I weighed the options and decided to buy a new infant (bucket) seat for our upcoming arrival. While ds really didn't enjoy his infant seat, so it was not overused, i thought about situations where it would be very handy, ie, at dr.'s appts and i need to sign info etc. Or when the baby is sleeping and i don't want to wake her when i need to bring groceries in and put them away, as pp said. Plus ds will be starting school in august so that means mandatory daily trips for dd and i and it will be easier to get you all ready in the hot or cold weather and then put her in the van. I don't plan to over use it, but it does seem to be very handy the first 6 months or so.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 PM

With DS2, we didn't have a bucket and I hated it. He was not very happy in the car and I think it was partially because he was uncomfortable. It was also a pain to strap him in because he fought it so much. It's much easier to strap in to the seat while inside and able to do it from a good angle.

I loved having a bucket for DD1 and DD2 and just because you use one doesn't mean you have to overuse it or never wear your baby! lol I wore them lots of the time.

I felt that they fit better in them and seemed more comfortable, I did buy a really nice snugride so it was kind of expensive to buy that and then the convertible later, but they almost always fell asleep in them instead of crying and it was extremely nice to be able to use it if they were sleeping and we had to run in and out of somewhere. I had a stroller frame for those times when I wanted to keep her in it while she was asleep and so never hurt my back or strained anything and I really think it was worth the money. You can get the frame for $20 used. They never were in them for too long but DD2 would fall asleep in 5 minutes so it was great for school drop off and pick up to have it. When she didn't fall asleep, I put her in the wrap. There was never a time that I could keep her sleeping while transferring from car seat to wrap/mei tai, maybe I just don't have the knack of it.
I really like not leaving the seat in the car and avoiding the burning hot/freezing cold seat issue.
It was much easier to take her to dr appts with me and unfortunately, I have frequent dr. appts.

Even though my babies are pretty big, they really didn't outgrow the bucket at 3-4 months. DD2 was almost 10 pounds at birth, stayed in the 75-90% and fit just fine in the bucket for a year and stayed happy in it.
For us, it was worth it.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 AM

I had a bucket with both boys but never really used them.  Neither of them seemed comfy in them, so I switched to a convertable right away.  One was born in March, one in August, and I have no regrets.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 AM

Have done both - loved the bucket.

I live in far northern Ontario (um - very cold) and really appreciated being able to bring baby right from the house out to the car.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 AM

I had a November baby and an inexpensive bucket. I hated the idea of taking him out of his warm blankets and setting him in a cold carseat in a cold car. I mostly carried him in a ring sling in public (the exception being in restaurants) and took the bucket inside when we got home. I've no regrets about it! Although my child was one of those who outgrew his bucket in about 3 months. It was ridiculous, lol! But at least for those 3 months I did like it. Now I'm having a spring baby I wonder if the bucket is worth it, since it will be warm and I have DS1 to keep track of (plus I now know how to eat just about anything while holding a baby).

I guess, my opinion is - bucket seats have their place. But just like anything, they can be abused. We have all seen those carseat babies in the store, with the misshapen heads and the worn out seat. I don't think the carseat is the problem. It is the way it is used.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 01-31-2011, 09:59 AM

The only time I regret it is when I am doing a quick trip somewhere and don't want to have to mess with the buckles.  

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with our decision.  Especially since my 4 month old already weighs 23lbs....I can't imagine carrying him and a car seat!

babyf.gifborn 25 September 2010
Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 AM

We started with a convertible and in the entire time we've used it, I've had about 3 times (maybe?) where I vaguely thought it'd be nice to have an detachable infant seat. Mind you, in all cases I would've actually been driven crazy by dealing with a bulky seat-carrier on top of everything else I was carrying, so it's a good thing I didn't actually have the choice.

Last fall, when dd just turned 2, I actually switched her seat from one car to another while she was asleep inside it. So clearly it is possible to move convertible+sleeping baby in a pinch.

DD preferred to be in arms and nursing and would wake up when the car stopped, so there really wasn't any motivation to get an infant seat.

(And it would've had to be a STRONG motivation to overcome my absolute hatred of bulky things whacking me in the leg. Purses can be too cumbersome if I'm not in just the right mood.)

ETA: DD was an August baby, and then I took the bus most places that winter because she went through a phase of disliking the car seat if she was in the car for more than 10 minutes.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah32 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post

Quote:
I understand about no coats in the car seats, but with a bucket, you can put a blanket over them without interfering with the straps. I'm not hauling him into a Mei Tai while dragging the long straps through slush puddles. Not to mention, what about my coat? I don't always want to wear my baby and a coat underneath once we are inside.

I just wanted to address this, because this problem is fixable.  :)

First, you can put a blanket over babies in a convertible too.  No coats under the straps, use blankets, it's the SAME whether using a bucket or a convertible.

As for the mei tai -- what you do is you put it on at home.  Wear it *under* your coat.  Baby doesn't need a heavy coat of his own because he's in your coat and using your body heat.  You need a coat that's large enough, obviously, and don't zip it all the way to the top so baby has air (keeping baby breathing is a good thing ;)  ) or a specialized babywearing coat.  Unzip your jacket and loosen the mei tai a bit to take baby out but don't completely untie it, baby goes into the car seat, blanket over baby.  Leave the mei tai on under your re-zipped coat while you drive wherever you're going.

When you arrive, reverse the process.  Get baby into the mei tai, then snug up the straps.  Mostly zip your coat over baby, you're good to go.  This same procedure works with any kind of sling carrier.  The main advantage of the specialized babywearing jackets is that there's an opening for baby's head or just for airflow, so you can still have neck coverage for yourself.  If you're serious about babywearing and live in a cold region, it's worth considering the investment.  But a large enough jacket will do *almost* as well in *most* situations.  And with baby under your coat, you get the warmth for baby without them needing a heavy jacket, and you can just take off your coat when you get inside without having to re-do the whole sling situation.  

It takes a little practice to do all this, of course, but once you've got the hang of it it's a piece of cake.  Personally, I found it easiest when using a stretchy wrap.  The 'give' in a stretchy wrap means I don't have to loosen anything.  I could pop her in and out, just leaving it tied on.  

Again, it seems to me that these reasons people have for using the bucket apply equally well to older babies, they're not exclusive to bucket-sized babies.  "What about the straps dragging, what about my coat?"  Those problems don't magically go away when baby is older, you'll still have to figure out how to get your baby from the car into the store or wherever when they've outgrown the bucket.  So since you have to deal with it ANYWAY, it just seems simpler to me to figure it out when baby is smaller and more easily portable.  ;)   

There are also thousands of babies injured every year in bucket-related accidents that were NOT in cars.  Either from buckets being dropped, like shopping carts falling over, or from the bucket itself not working -- there have been recalls over handles failing, for instance.  I really just wish they would stop marketing them as *carriers*.  

Yeah, but what do you do when you need to take them out of the convertible? I know! Drop the blanket into the snow/slush. Wheee! Been there, done that. Not doing it next time. I do admire your coordination though, because, honestly, your Mei Tai suggestion? Um not workable for me.

A bucket it is for my next one.

I wore a wrap under my coat and then got into the back of the car to put dd into it. Worked until she got too tall/squirmy. The cold and snow and such weren't an issue, because I took her out of her seat inside a nice warm car and dealt with settling her into the wrap and such (e.g. going potty, changing diapers) all in comfort.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 AM

We love our bucket for all the reasons WifeofAnt stated (post 41).

We tried to get by ONLY with a convertible seat for baby number 2 and regretted it. Now we go the bucket-route for the following babies. For one, he hated being carried in the sling. HATED it. He was the only kiddo I was never able to wear. :(

I also didn't like the thought of taking my sweet, warm baby out in the chill and having to buckle him into a cold seat. There were lots of times we didn't have time to pre-heat the car, and I felt badly for the shock to his system!

The same when summer came along, having to strap the little guy in a very HOT seat with hot buckles.

I loved being able to run quick errands by popping the bucket out of the car and taking the sleeping baby with me, instead of taking up so much time finagling straps on wraps and clasps on Ergos. Just pop out the bucket - run in the bank - pop the bucket back in. Totally worth it, esp when there are other littles in the car who have to follow Mom along.

I loved being able to bring a sleeping baby into the house and let him/her continue to sleep.

Our last two kiddos stayed in the bucket, perfectly content, till around 18 and 20 months. Of course, at that point the bucket pretty much just lived in the car because it was too big to carry around with them in it, but it lasted a long time and we got our money's worth.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

(And it would've had to be a STRONG motivation to overcome my absolute hatred of bulky things whacking me in the leg. Purses can be too cumbersome if I'm not in just the right mood.)

This is me to a T and why I had a bucket for my first but it never left the car. I'm also not getting a bucket for the 2nd. 

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 AM

I never regretted going straight to the convertable with spring/summer babies.  This time around, I didn't *want* a bucket seat, but I felt it would be best for getting in and out of the house and quick stops elsewhere with a December baby, and it's proven to be just that.

"Warming up the car" is a misnomer for us.  I could warm up that minivan for an hour and all of the heat will pour right out while piling in the other 4 kids, let alone the baby, with the wind whipping right through the two sliding doors, lol.  Instead, I can throw him in with a blanket under the car seat cover, wait a few minutes for the heat to recirculate, then reach back to fully open the cover and pull the blanket off.

The big kids and I hate the few minutes of cold that come with getting settled into the car.  Just because we have to suck it up doesn't mean the baby should "suffer" along with us.

All that said, I'm looking forward to switching back to a convertible in the spring even though our bucket goes to 35lb.  I do feel slightly safer with them.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM

I have only read the first page, but here is my experience.  With all there of mine we only had convertible car seats, and I never regretted it.  I had two November babies and one March baby in Oregon where it is not usually overly cold, but it does rain a lot.  I had a ring sling for when they were younger and then my DH used the ergo sometimes when they were a bit older.

I have problems with my wrists and hands so I can not imagine trying to cart those heavy plastic buckets around everywhere.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 AM

the bucket is perfect for those that have to drive older kids to school.  my dd would take great naps at this time, but would wake if i tried to get her out of the seat.  luckily the weather was mild and i would leave her in the car in the garage with the door open to the kitchen (i was able to keep a very clean kitchen at the timesmile.gif).

i don't think anyone is saying they carry around the bucket for walks or errands where it would be bumping your legs, you would use a sling or stroller.  it's for when you want to quickly move an infant from one spot to another and you either want to protect from the elements or let the child sleep.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd

User Tag List