Dryer vent under a window? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The house we are renting is a 2 story home with a full concrete basement. The basement has windows up high on the wall.

The dryer vent goes out a window on the back of the house, however just above it are 2 living-room windows. Will i be able to open these windows in the spring/summer? or will it cause harmful breathing air in the house?

#2 of 8 Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i wouldn't go as far as harmful.  but it will be an issue (only when drying).

can you see the air coming out now?  my vent is by my kitchen window onto the patio and i have a huge steam cloud when the dryer runs.  i know i won't be able to run the dryer when people are out there in the summer.

just saw this mentioned on a home improvement show.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

I can see the air when it is drying...I see it "pooling" in the closed window, which I why i figured it would not be safe. I guess I'll just have to close the windows when drying during the nice weather. Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

i wouldn't go as far as harmful.  but it will be an issue (only when drying).

can you see the air coming out now?  my vent is by my kitchen window onto the patio and i have a huge steam cloud when the dryer runs.  i know i won't be able to run the dryer when people are out there in the summer.

just saw this mentioned on a home improvement show.

#4 of 8 Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 PM

Are you open to hanging your laundry out in the nice weather instead of using the dryer? That's what we do for most things in the summer, which means that although we have a similar dryer-vent setup we don't have to worry about it. smile.gif
#5 of 8 Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 PM

Im not sure why I understand why breathing dryer exhaust is anything to be concerned about. We have a kit that keeps our dryer exhaust in the house on purpose, with the intention of saving as much of the heat as we can. It does leave condensation, but its really not that big of a deal compared to how much heat it procudes.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 8 Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Im not sure why I understand why breathing dryer exhaust is anything to be concerned about. We have a kit that keeps our dryer exhaust in the house on purpose, with the intention of saving as much of the heat as we can. It does leave condensation, but its really not that big of a deal compared to how much heat it procudes.

That depends on whether the dryer is gas or electric.  Gas dryers vent some excess fumes with the wet air.  It's not terribly dangerous when mixed with outdoor air, but when trapped inside with closed windows it could cause a problem.  

With electric dryers, you can vent inside as long you you realize the air can contain over a gallon of water per load and make sure you deal with the moisture.

#7 of 8 Old 01-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the info. My dryer is electric, and we actually heat with wood, so the moisture is very appreciated.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 8 Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM

Yeah, I know a few people around here that do it in the winter because the air is so super dry indoors.  We have gas though greensad.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page