WWYD- carseat question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

W're expecting baby #4 this summer.  We're debating between getting an infant seat or putting him/her into the Radian65 DS1 is currently in and moving ds to a booster.  DS is currently 5 yo, 41 lbs and 42,5 inches tall.  The baby isn't due until August so ds will be 6 and probably a couple inches/lbs bigger.

So, my question is this: Would you put baby in an infant seat and keep older ds in his 5 point or buy a booster and put baby in the Radian?  And what kind of infant seat or booster would be best?  This was an unplanned pregnancy and I had gotten rid of almost all our baby stuff so I'm budgeting now for the things we'll have to replace.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM

I know a lot of people like having the convenience of keeping baby warm in bucket seats in colder climates, but for me in TX, I always ended up leaving it in the car and wearing the baby (or using an umbrella stroller as they got older sometimes).  I would say a 6 year old SHOULD be fine in a booster unless the child has some developmental delays or other issues.  My oldest moved to a booster right before age 6, and if my DD hits 40 lb by then, I would be comfortable putting her in one. 

So I see it as it kind of depends on if you see bucket as major convenience or not. 

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm happy with my 6yo being in a high back booster.  If I were you I would get a booster soon and start using it for short trips to see how it goes, you'll need one at some point anyway. If you have problems you can go back to the harness for a while and work it out from there.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would make sure the radian fits at the full 45 degree recline in your vehicle.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

It does.  We have a Sienna so there's a good deal of room.  DS2 is currently rfing behind the driver seat in a radian.

My biggest hang ups are losing the convenience of an infant seat in winter tme (it's cold here!) and having 2 radians rfing will make getting to the 3rd row more difficult for the big kids. 

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:08 AM

You could slide one seat over in the second row so the bigger kids have more room to get to the back.  This will mean kneeling in to buckle up the child in that seat though. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

It's an older Sienna so the captain's chairs don't shift like that, unfortunately.  I wish they did!  Life would be easier.  We could turn ds2 ffing but I'm trying to avoid that unless he has a major growth spurt in the next 6 months.  He's 2 &  only about 25 lbs now.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM

Ahh, I don't know when they started the slide over feature.  I have a 2004.  Too bad that won't help!

FWIW, I live in Minnesota, and do not use an infant carrier at all.  I made the baby a car seat poncho and dress him in layers.  He's in a Graco My Ride 65, and DS1 is in a Nautilus. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 

User Tag List