OK help me out please. rear facing carseat info. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our pedi said to keep DD rear facing as long as possible. She's 15 m/o and is still RF.

My BFF said her pedi and the hospital said it is too dangerous to keep a baby RF past 12 m/o b/c their legs will break. She also claims it does nothing b/c if YOU hit someone/something the baby who is rear facing will fly forward (towards the back of car) just like if someone hit you and the baby was FF they would fly forward.

I thought pretty much no matter where you got hit/you hit someone being FF you would lunge forward.

I was also under the impression being rear facing no matter how you are hit you wouldn't lunge forward.

Am I wrong?

Also I told her I think you have to make sure the feet don't touch the back of the seat (in front of the baby)

Is this true?

Basically I need some hard facts b/c she keeps bringing it up and thinks I am putting my DD in danger and she is doing what is best.

I haven't looked into it much, I just heard it was better so I am just keeping her that way.

Also wondering at what age, or height, or weight do you FF?

Is it just when they get too cramped and the feet are touching the back of the car's seat?

TYIA

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 01:25 PM

On the legs breaking thing...So? Legs will heal. If the baby is rear-facing and lunges forward and breaks his/her neck, you can't fix that.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:04 PM

Old 01-25-2011, 04:08 PM

And for your pediatrician--please print this and give it to her, or email it to her so she can stop giving out dangerous info!

http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a

CPST & mom

Old 01-25-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no MY pediatrician said to keep her rear facing as long as possible!

Thanks for the info keep it coming lol love.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 01-25-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Our pedi said to keep DD rear facing as long as possible. She's 15 m/o and is still RF. 

My BFF said her pedi and the hospital said it is too dangerous to keep a baby RF past 12 m/o b/c their legs will break.  - Not true.  Why at 12months would their legs magically break vs at 11months old?  There are NO documented cases of broken legs because of extended rearfacing.  Legs are far more likely to break forward facing, because in a crash the child moves forwards and hits their legs on the seat in front.  Rearfacing, their legs fly up in the air, they dont hit anything.  You can see this in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKIeExpDLDA

The forward facing child their legs hit the seat in front, the rearfacing child's legs hardly move. 

She also claims it does nothing b/c if YOU hit someone/something the baby who is rear facing will fly forward (towards the back of car) just like if someone hit you and the baby was FF they would fly forward.  

I thought pretty much no matter where you got hit/you hit someone being FF you would lunge forward.

I was also under the impression being rear facing no matter how you are hit you wouldn't lunge forward.

Am I wrong?

In a crash, you/baby moves twards the point of impact.  So if you hit/got hit in the rear, you move twards the rear, if you hit/get hit in the front, you move twards the front, etc.   Doesnt matter who hits who.   MOST fatal car crashes are from the front (head on) or side.   When you are hit from the rear, those crashes are rarely the 'bad' ones (think someone hitting you at a stoplight or in traffic when they looked down at their phone or something, or bumps in the parking lot...)   

Also I told her I think you have to make sure the feet don't touch the back of the seat (in front of the baby)

Is this true?

Nope.  Kids dont care if their feet touch.  Most hang their legs over the side, cross them, put them up on the seat back etc.  Think about how kids sit in a chair or on the floor, they rarely sit with their legs right out in front.  Many kids that turn forward facing complain that their legs hurt because they fall asleep!  Rearfacing they have support.   Some convertable carseats have more leg room than others, but most kids dont seem to care either way.  

Basically I need some hard facts b/c she keeps bringing it up and thinks I am putting my DD in danger and she is doing what is best.

Has she seen this video?  Pay attention to the crash test bits, thats what convinced me to keep ds rearfacing (he is 3.5 and very comfortable rearfacing, he loves his carseat!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

I haven't looked into it much, I just heard it was better so I am just keeping her that way.

Good for you!  She is 500% safer rearfacing. 

Also wondering at what age, or height, or weight do you FF?

Bones in the neck/spine arent fully developed until I think age 6 or so (?), plus toddlers have a huge head in proprtion to the rest of their body compared to older kids, which is why its so important to protect their neck/spine.    A bare minimum of 2yrs old and 30lbs, BUT the longer the better.   She can ride rearfacing until she either A. reaches the rearfacing weight limit on her seat.  Or B. has less than 1" of plastic shell above her head (in many seats kids outgrow them in height before weight).  Her shoulder straps should be at or below her shoulders for rearfacing (at or above for forward facing).  And feet touching is NOT at all a safety concern!    

Is it just when they get too cramped and the feet are touching the back of the car's seat?

Some seats will last kids until they are 5-6yrs old rearfacing, Here are pics of older kids rearfacing: http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum.aspx

Remember kids dont get 'cramped' as much as you'd think (my son is always hiding in carboard boxes, cupboards, even a drawer once!  Kids dont mind, honest!).  Convertable carseats have plenty of room for bigger kids!  As long as she hasnt reached the weight limit or isnt too tall (the 1" above the head thing) then she is fine rearfacing.   And again, dont worry about her feet!!! 

Lots of links here for more info as well:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9316

Hope that helps!!! 

Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 PM

I like this site.  http://www.joelsjourney.org/

Old 01-26-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

I was talking to her last night and she was like "oh so now you are saying my child could die?!" She got all mad at me and said look it's your decision whether or not to keep her FF (she has been for 6 months already) She said she's used to it now and she can see her....yeah that's what counts..

Well I am going to her house this weekend but she doesn't have internet so I can't even show her anything! I will print out what I can...I don't think she will change her though, but maybe she at least will see why I do it.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

I was talking to her last night and she was like "oh so now you are saying my child could die?!" She got all mad at me and said look it's your decision whether or not to keep her FF (she has been for 6 months already) She said she's used to it now and she can see her....yeah that's what counts..

Well I am going to her house this weekend but she doesn't have internet so I can't even show her anything! I will print out what I can...I don't think she will change her though, but maybe she at least will see why I do it.

Do you have a laptop?  Put up some of the sites/youtube videos on their and leave them up and bring it over to show her, you wont be able to go off those pages but the videos should still work if they've already been played through.   Or invite her to your house/a place with internet to show her.  

And if you cant convince her, dont worry about it.  You shared what you could and you know YOUR child is safe, its her kid, her choice and while its frustrating when you know better, there is not much you can do.  (I have a friend who FF her small 15month old b/c she screamed in the car and her dh wanted her FF, even though she said she knows RF is safer.   At least she has her seats in right and straps tight, but I couldnt convince her!   Other friends I have convinced though, you cant win them all....)

User Tag List