I need an article on why winter coats are not safe for car seats. Hoping to get a friend to understand. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to convince a friend to rear face longer than the norm of 1yr and 20lbs.  Right now she has her dd in a Britax advocate.  I said great b/c she can rear face till 40lbs.  She said that she and her dh aren't sure what they want to do.  I mentioned all the safe things about rear facing and will send her this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U  Her dd turns one in February.

However, I did notice her dd had on a bit of a puffy winter coat and I didn't mention anything about that b/c I don't know if she took her dd coat off before buckling her up in the seat.

My friend isn't the type to go against the mainstream.  I want to send her a video or article along with the video of rf, which I mentioned I will send her.  Is there a good article?

Thanks!

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#2 of 21 Old 01-26-2011, 04:14 PM

http://carseatsmadeeasy.blogspot.com/2010/12/keeping-warm-and-safe-in-winter.html hth :)

CPST & mom

#3 of 21 Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I posted it on facebook but have 2 friends I am going to email it to.

#4 of 21 Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 AM

Hmmm, I thought we had a lengthy thread last year about this topic. 

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#5 of 21 Old 01-27-2011, 09:01 AM

Is that at any age in a carseat?  I have my 21 mth old in a coat in a carseat.  He's 28 pounds but forward facing.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#6 of 21 Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM

You shouldn't have you LO in a bulky coat in their car seat at any age.  The link provided by a PP has great pictures to go along with it.  

I bought my DS a thin fleece jacket for this exact reason (Columbia has really warm ones that are very thin).  His previous coat was so bulky!  I panicked when I realized how much extra slack it was leaving in his harness straps.  

#7 of 21 Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

Is that at any age in a carseat?  I have my 21 mth old in a coat in a carseat.  He's 28 pounds but forward facing.

Yes, any age, including boosters and adults.

CPST & mom

#8 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post

Hmmm, I thought we had a lengthy thread last year about this topic. 

I do apologize if there was a topic.  I should have searched first instead of posting a new topic.  I have only been on here for a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfinn View Post

You shouldn't have you LO in a bulky coat in their car seat at any age.  The link provided by a PP has great pictures to go along with it.  

I bought my DS a thin fleece jacket for this exact reason (Columbia has really warm ones that are very thin).  His previous coat was so bulky!  I panicked when I realized how much extra slack it was leaving in his harness straps.  

I use thin fleece pullovers for my twins too.  I found some on sale at Babies R Us for this year. 

#9 of 21 Old 01-29-2011, 01:05 PM

The straps can compress the coat in a crash allowing the child to fly right out of the straps. The straps can also not work if the chest clip is too low. Check out the car seat poncho http://www.carseatponcho.com/ It works great for some kids! 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#10 of 21 Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post

The straps can compress the coat in a crash allowing the child to fly right out of the straps. The straps can also not work if the chest clip is too low. Check out the car seat poncho http://www.carseatponcho.com/ It works great for some kids! 

This is why my kids either don't wear coats in the car or wear thin fleece pullovers.  I just needed an article that would have facts in it for my friend. 

I did post the carseats made easy blog and had a friend comment not knowing that coats aren't ok for car seats.  She also said she is going to keep her dd rf as long as possible too! 

#11 of 21 Old 01-29-2012, 05:16 PM

My ds wears his coat in the caraway, but I unzip it, and do the buckle under his coat. Although that almost never happens because I don't own a car, so we're always on public transit.
#12 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 AM

It is any age.   Unless it is a very thin coat that does not force the harness to need to be loosened (think, 1 layer of polar fleece, or similar), coats lead to increased head excursion, spinal injuries, and even ejection.

Also, no 21 month old should be forward facing.  Please, get that baby into a rear facing car seat before you drive again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

CPST
#13 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 AM

In a booster using the car seatbelt it's ok to wear coats that may be thicker because the seat belt retracts automatically, correct? I read that because the harness is stationary, it allows the compression of the coat to cause the extra space between belt and the body.
I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing to have multiple threads on a topic, if we just used old threads, there would be no current discussion and what's the point of having a forum to talk. We could all just do a search, find the answer and never post.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#14 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

It is any age.   Unless it is a very thin coat that does not force the harness to need to be loosened (think, 1 layer of polar fleece, or similar), coats lead to increased head excursion, spinal injuries, and even ejection.

Also, no 21 month old should be forward facing.  Please, get that baby into a rear facing car seat before you drive again.

I don't understand the problem with a 21 month old forward facing.  They can turn around at 12 months.  We wait a while longer but many people don't. 

#15 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 04:21 AM

No, they can't.  That's old, outdated information and has led the countless needless deaths and horrible, debilitating injuries.   While the AAP has made it clear for more than 10 years that children need to remain rear facing for as long as they fit, they issued updated guidelines last year to specify this:  ALL children under two years old should be in a rear facing convertible.   NHTSA further emphasized this.  If you go to the NHTSA.gov website you will see that for children between the first and FOURTH birthdays should remain in rear facing child restraints as long as they fit in them.

The data is clear, pronounced and available from the early 60s.  Kids under 4 who do not have fully developed cervical spines do not fair well in forward facing impacts.     Rear facing is absolutely essential at this age, especially when we are talking about an infant. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama View Post

I don't understand the problem with a 21 month old forward facing.  They can turn around at 12 months.  We wait a while longer but many people don't. 

CPST
#16 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post

In a booster using the car seatbelt it's ok to wear coats that may be thicker because the seat belt retracts automatically, correct? I read that because the harness is stationary, it allows the compression of the coat to cause the extra space between belt and the body.
I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing to have multiple threads on a topic, if we just used old threads, there would be no current discussion and what's the point of having a forum to talk. We could all just do a search, find the answer and never post.

No, it's not ok in a seatbelt, either.  True for adults, as well.  When you buckle in, and the very MINIMUM, your coat should be wide open with the seatbelt resting on your lap and shoulder with only street clothes between you and the belt.  No coat. 

CPST
#17 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedze View Post

No, it's not ok in a seatbelt, either.  True for adults, as well.  When you buckle in, and the very MINIMUM, your coat should be wide open with the seatbelt resting on your lap and shoulder with only street clothes between you and the belt.  No coat. 

And do remember to tighten the seatbelt even if you wear just street clothes. I always first buckle, and then pull the belt up into the feeder again, so it is as tight as it goes.

#18 of 21 Old 02-06-2012, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh wow!  I had no idea!  I have an 8 month old that will stay rear facing longer now.  I wonder why I never heard of these new developments.  I will look it up now and pass on the info.  Thanks!

#19 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 PM

I have heard this before but I don't get it.

So on a freezing cold day I am supposed to bring my children out to the car without coats?

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#20 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post

I have heard this before but I don't get it.

So on a freezing cold day I am supposed to bring my children out to the car without coats?

No.  I bring my kids to the car with their coats on (if it's super cold).  We get in the car, take the coats off, quickly put the buckles on, then get cozy under a blanket (or wear the coat backwards).  Death from hypothermia is not likely.  Death (or serious, lifelong injury) from being improperly restrained in an accident is much more of a risk!

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#21 of 21 Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Oh wow! I did not know this about the coat issue. (I still rear face my 15 month old though)  Oh well... I learn something new everyday... 

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page