Complete Air - 65? LX? In a Jetta... Update w/ more Qs! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
kl5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 20 lb. 5 month old is very close to being too tall for his Keyfit 30 and it's looking like it is time for a convertible. I was able to score a crashed (straps cut, not planning on using it) carseat from someone for the purpose of trading it in at BRU for 25% off and was looking at the Complete Air. My LO is obviously really high percentile in weight and nearly as high for height, so I would like something that will fit his frame as long as possible.

We drive a 2004 Jetta and likely will for a couple more years. Is there a reason the LX would be better than the 65? I don't know if they even stock the LX at our BRU, but want to make sure I am making the best decision. Would definitely like to avoid pool noodles and other tricks to get it to sit properly in the seat. If the LX is going to be measurably better I will pass the broken seat on to someone else and buy from elsewhere. Other seat recommendations welcome as well. Thanks!

#2 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If you don't want to deal with pool noodles, get the LX because it has a base.  I'd call your BRU and see if they carry it before you write up doing the in store exchange.  Or if they'll order it and let you use the exchange.

I just checked BRU website and 2 models of the LX are sold in stores.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
kl5

Thanks for your reply, good to know the LX is available there. Does anyone use the 65 without a pool noodle? I don't think the back seat in the jetta is particularly pitched... It would seem like a design flaw if the 65 cannot be used without some additional crutch not included with the seat, no?

#4 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl5 View Post

Thanks for your reply, good to know the LX is available there. Does anyone use the 65 without a pool noodle? I don't think the back seat in the jetta is particularly pitched... It would seem like a design flaw if the 65 cannot be used without some additional crutch not included with the seat, no?

We use a CA65 without a pool noodle or towel. Installed RF, with LATCH, outboard passenger in a 2004 Murano. It was really easy to get a good angle with the install.

The only trick I have found with installing the seat is that you really need to slide the cover off to where you can reach your hand through the LATCH belt pathway in order to tighten it all the way. Attempting to tighten it by pulling straight up (on the outside of the seat) gave me no results. 

#5 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have the older CA model that goes to 50lbs, but it's the same shell on the bottom.  In my Sienna I can install it rfing at a more upright angle in the captain's chair and in the back row.  It just takes some tricks.  But, it will depend on your vehicle as to whether or not that will work.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 9 Old 02-27-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
kl5

So, we ended up with the 65. Which I was excited about until we tried to install it today. Before I take it back, can someone help with a few questions? Does the level line need to be level RF? If so, there is no way my husband will be able to drive our car. Even with the seat in the middle,  I can just barely drive comfortably and I am a short-legged 5'3". I think we can make it work if it is more upright, but obviously I want it to be as safe as possible. TIA for talking me down and any help!

#7 of 9 Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl5 View Post

So, we ended up with the 65. Which I was excited about until we tried to install it today. Before I take it back, can someone help with a few questions? Does the level line need to be level RF? If so, there is no way my husband will be able to drive our car. Even with the seat in the middle,  I can just barely drive comfortably and I am a short-legged 5'3". I think we can make it work if it is more upright, but obviously I want it to be as safe as possible. TIA for talking me down and any help!

No need to return it! The level line is the recline for newborns and small babies who do not have good head/neck control yet. Assuming your babe has good head control, the seat can safely be installed as upright as 30 degrees RF. I've seen it mentioned that a more upright RF install is better as long as your babe is old enough, but don't have access to the quotes. Hopefully others can explain more in depth. 

#8 of 9 Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
kl5

Thank you thank you thank you. I refuse to let this car seat issue defeat me (though it's come pretty close on numerous occasions...) eyesroll.gif

#9 of 9 Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Dorel does require the line be level to the ground, but many people (myself included) feel perfectly comfortable installing it more upright.  I love my CA (I'm on my second one--the first was crashed and I replaced it with a CA LX) and it allowed my oldest to RF longer--she had outgrown everything else RF by height but lasted until 5.5 RF in the CA.

CPST & mom

Tags
Safety 1st Complete Air Convertible Car Seat Special Purchase

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page