Three carseats in a Toyota Matrix? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have a 2006 Matrix and a 21-month-old DS and I'm due with #2 in July.  I also baby-sit a friend's 18-month old during the day and would like to continue keeping him.  The biggest obstacle to that right now is space in the car.  DS and the daycare baby would both be over two.  Baby #2 would be RFing, probably in an infant seat (ideally the Combi Shuttle b/c that's what we already have) and the two toddlers would be in convertibles.  I'd love to get one of the convertibles in RFing too, but I *really* doubt that will be possible. 

Are there any three seats that would make this configuration (either 2 RFing and 1 FFing or 2  FFing and 1 RFing) possible?  Right now, we have 2 Evenflo Symphony seats for the two toddlers (both RFing), but with the two of them in there, there's not even room for a person to sit in the middle, let alone a carseat.  We'll be going to try out some seats soon, but I wanted to have some idea of which seats to try and if it's even worth trying.

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#2 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
mtm

We had two sunshine radians plus a booster seat in the back of our matrix for a couple years. Now we have two boosters and one radian.

#3 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Radians or Complete Airs for the toddlers RFing, with the Combi should work.  

CPST & mom

#4 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM

I have a Matrix 2005 and DS is due in about a month.  We will have a rear-facing Radian behind the driver for DD (who is 2, but not yet 20 pounds, and won't be forward facing for ages), a forward-facing Radian in the middle for DS (who will probably get in through the front seat, he is older though at 4 when baby arrives) and then a rear-facing Coccoro for the baby behind the passenger seat.  That being said, 3 Radians would work too, though I won't want to rear-face a Radian at a newborn 45 degree angle, which is why we are using the Coccoro for the baby, since it is designed for a small car.  That being said, you might be able to fit the infant seat instead of the Coccoro in that third space. 

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#5 of 7 Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM

We've got a Vibe, essentially the same car, and we did RFing Boulevard, RFing Coccoro and FFing Marathon. Also RFing Boulevard, RFing Coccoro and FFing Radian. Like a previous poster said, it's difficult to do a 45 degree rearfacing angle for a newborn, so we went with a Coccoro. I'm sure you would be fine with your Combi and two Radian's. In our experience, we just needed one of the really narrow seats, the Radian or the Coccoro, to make it work.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#6 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post

We had two sunshine radians plus a booster seat in the back of our matrix for a couple years. Now we have two boosters and one radian.

Which boosters do you have?  Is it still working?  What's your setup?

#7 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post

Which boosters do you have?  Is it still working?  What's your setup?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page