high back booster vs. no back booster - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there a safety difference?

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 9 Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I don't know if there is a "proven" safety difference, most likely because there really hasn't been any testing to the effect.  We do know on some children a hbb booster positions the belt better (usually smaller riders), so that would be a safety thing.  It also offers more side impact protection and from a comfort standpoint, something to rest your head on to sleep.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 9 Old 02-18-2011, 11:40 PM

There was a study a year or so ago stating that a HBB offered a 70% increase in safety, but then there was a study this year saying that they were equal in terms of safety.  Nonetheless, because of the SIP factor, not to mention the comfort, I'd recommend a HBB over a backless booster until at least 6-7.

CPST & mom

#4 of 9 Old 02-19-2011, 08:31 AM

From what I've seen, the value of the highback is better positioning-- for many kids, it positions the belt better, but also it positions the KID better. I've seen it with DD1-- the highback booster keeps her body in the position she needs to be in to stay properly positioned in the belt. In a low back booster, she often moves to one side or shifts around a lot, so that she doesn't stay in the belt in the optimal position. She can even fall asleep in the highback, and her head is cradled so that her body stays upright. If she fell asleep with a lowback, she'd fall to one side and slump down. The seat belt can't protect the child if the child isn't positioned correctly inside of it.

I would imagine crash testing with dummies wouldn't show this difference very well, because the people putting the dummies in the low back boosters will of course position the dummies correctly. It's "real life" usage, I think, that makes the safety difference.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Thanks for this thread! It just helped me decide on the Frontier over the Nautilus. The price difference was killing me, but I think the high back booster alone is worth it.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#6 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 03:45 PM

I agree, the high back is nicer for many of the stated reason. I did have to switch to backless when dd1 shoulders became too tall for the belt positioner but still needed the boost of height for the car's belt

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#7 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post

There was a study a year or so ago stating that a HBB offered a 70% increase in safety, but then there was a study this year saying that they were equal in terms of safety.  Nonetheless, because of the SIP factor, not to mention the comfort, I'd recommend a HBB over a backless booster until at least 6-7.

Yes.  I personally have a lot of questions about the second study.  Dedicated boosters, either highback or backless, tend to position belts well.  Combination seats used as boosters tend NOT to position belts well (Frontier and Nautilus are exceptions).  The study didn't differentiate between dedicated highbacked boosters and combination seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post

Thanks for this thread! It just helped me decide on the Frontier over the Nautilus. The price difference was killing me, but I think the high back booster alone is worth it.

The Nautilus is also a highbacked booster.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#8 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Just FYI, the Nautilus is really great, we love it as a high backed booster.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#9 of 9 Old 03-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:

???

The nautilus is a great high backed booster :) 

CPST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page