Installing a Scenera RF on a plane - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Wise Mamas,

I have done a search of the old threads, but haven't found a BTDT blow-by-blow of how to install a Scenera rear facing on an airplane. I'm travelling this weekend (eek!) with my 11 mo old DS so I want to be sure I know how to deal with the installation.

Any tips/tricks/ BTDT advice? Do I need towels to maintain the 45 degree position like I do in the rental car? Will I need to ask a FA to hold DS as I try to get the belt tight?

Fortunately there are 2 seats in a row and we have a window and aisle, so there will be no issue with having a stranger in the way. I plan to pre-board as well!

We're flying in Canada if that makes any difference, and DS fits the RF requirements for weight and height.

Thanks for any help you can pass along!

#2 of 13 Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM

You don't need a 45* angle either on the plane or in the car :)  And on the plane, it will have to be pretty  upright anyway, to fit.  

It's a pretty easy, straightforward install--the belt goes through the RF belt path and you just pull to tighten.  I always just plop my kid into the airplane seat while I install the seat.  It should only take a minute or two.

CPST & mom

#3 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post

You don't need a 45* angle either on the plane or in the car :)  And on the plane, it will have to be pretty  upright anyway, to fit. 

Seriously? When I used it in the rental last time I had to work (with towels) to get the "keep this line parallel to the ground" - you know, that line on the car seat that should be level with the ground - anyway, that's what the manual says. I'm actually not 100% sure that it was 45 degrees, just that it had to be level with the ground. Is there something I'm missing?

ETA: Wondering if all that time I spent getting it at the right angle was not needed...

#4 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 AM

How old is your baby?  The 45 degree angle is important for young babies to make sure they can breathe properly.  If they are older you can have it more upright.

#5 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 12:48 PM

OP said the baby was 11 months.

45* is only necessary until babies gain enough head control to lift their head and adequately keep their airway open, and that will depend on the individual development of the child.

Kelly - Children's Restraint Technician Instructor - Mom to my December boys
#6 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 02:47 PM

The 45* angle is only necessary for newborns and very young infants.  Once they have good head control (usually by 4-6 months) they can go more upright.  An 11 month old baby, assuming s/he is neurotypical, can be quite upright.  You can install your seat anywhere between 30 and 45 degrees (from vertical).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

Seriously? When I used it in the rental last time I had to work (with towels) to get the "keep this line parallel to the ground" - you know, that line on the car seat that should be level with the ground - anyway, that's what the manual says. I'm actually not 100% sure that it was 45 degrees, just that it had to be level with the ground. Is there something I'm missing?

ETA: Wondering if all that time I spent getting it at the right angle was not needed...

CPST & mom

#7 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

sweet! so glad I asked - you've all just saved me time, frustration and anxiety! thanks!!!

nak

#8 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 PM

as far as i know, there is no reason to rearface on a plane. if the baby is comfortable, or sleeps better it is ok, but it isn't as if a plane is going to have a head on collision like a car could.

#9 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

subbing

#10 of 13 Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremen View Post

as far as i know, there is no reason to rearface on a plane. if the baby is comfortable, or sleeps better it is ok, but it isn't as if a plane is going to have a head on collision like a car could.

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/airplaneRF.aspx

CPST & mom

#11 of 13 Old 03-12-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremen View Post

Well, yeah, it could. 

Forward impact is the most likely. If the plane goes off the runway or even if you have an "aborted take-off" or birds in the engines, it would be forward impact. 

#12 of 13 Old 03-12-2011, 12:00 PM

And her child is well below the minimums to FF in the seat she has.

CPST & mom

#13 of 13 Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

op here - quick update. survived the flight. ds did really well. flight attendant did say "you have to forward face him" and when I replied "I can't, he's not a year yet" she really helped out and I easily got the seat installed.

Thanks for giving me the confidence!

DahliaRW likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page