Spokane, WA - where to buy/try carseats? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

We live in Canada, near border.  I was thinking of buying an infant seat in Spokane as I'm guessing there's a decent selection (all we have here is Wal Mart and a Sears catalogue store), and I doubt there's really a difference between Cdn/American safety standards.  Plus they're cheaper there and dollar pretty close to par....:)

Any mamas in Spokane are who could suggest stores where I could try them out in the car to ensure they fit?  I'd like to try a compact seat with a narrow base such as Chicco Key Fit or something similar (we have 06 Ford Focus wagon that has very little room in back seat).  (Also have 4 yr old dd in Britax Marathon).

Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry, mama... it's illegal to use an American seat in Canada.  greensad.gif  They have different testing standards, and a Canadian car seat will have the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard label prominently on the seat.  An American seat of course will not have the label, which will get you in trouble if you got pulled over or got in an accident.  Maybe you could still try some out in Spokane, then order the Canadian equivalent online?

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#3 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 04:54 PM

What happens to people who travel to Canada? Do they need to use a different seat!?

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#4 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 PM

I think Americans driving a car with a US license plate and a US driver's license don't get ticketed for using a US carseat, but Canadians can. if you do want to do the try it in the car and then order the Canadian equivalent, BabiesRUs will let you try the seat in the car and has the biggest selection. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#5 of 7 Old 03-18-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Thanks for the tip.  Oh well.  :shrug

I really doubt there's any problem coming to Canada in a car with US plates and US made carseat.  

#6 of 7 Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 AM

I am not sure if you are still considering doing this. Maybe if you are research what seats are available to you in Canada check out the ones you are interested in in Spokane and then order the one that is the best fit/you like the best online? Anyway to the best of my knowledge the place with the largest selection of infant seats in spokane is Babies R US. 

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#7 of 7 Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 AM

BTW - if you do decide to order a seat online you will probably get a better price than you would purchasing it in store anyway. Amazon always has carseats discounted and I recently did a google shopping search and got a Britax Chaperon from an online store for $158 which is about $70 less than I could have gotten it anywhere else.

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page