Are there any harnessed seats out there narrower than the Radian? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 3 and very tall. I noticed yesterday that he is getting close to outgrowing his FF Roundabout by height. We own a Radian, but we need to be able to fit 2 boosters (for carpooling) and his seat across a Nissan Sentra, and it just doesn't fit with the Radian in the middle. We have tried and tried. (It works with the RA because of the elevated seat.) We cannot put a booster in the middle because the middle seat only has a lap belt.

Is there anything narrower? Do I need to buy one of the larger Britaxes, maybe? (But will that get me to 4-5 harnessed? I'm not sure of his exact height, but I know he is 95th%+, with a long long torso. He weighs about 34 lbs.) My boosters are a Graco (not sure of the model...dumb manual doesn't say, but I think it's a TurboBooster) and an Evenflo (manual says Evenflo Big Kid)...maybe narrower boosters would do it?? Both have the backs on, but the backs aren't the problem--it's the width at the base. I'm worried we may have to buy a new car. greensad.gif

ETA: could I put my 7yo back in the Radian, maybe?? And...a new seat for DS in the middle? She is something like 4 ft 2, 53 lbs. She would kinda hate that, but oh, well. We would still have a booster available for convenience.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#2 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 AM

Would it help if you put the harnessed child in a different position? Maybe put the boosters next to each other so that they buckle in between the boosters? 

THere's nothing narrower than a Radian, but there may be other seats with bases that elevate them enough to make it work. 

The bigger Britaxes don't always get kids to a good booster age, but if your DS made it past 3 in a Roundabout, he might have a shot.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#3 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

I can't put a booster in the middle because the middle only has a lap belt.

DS is only just 3--turned 3 last month.

#4 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Is it that the boosters don't physically fit on the seat width wise, or that you/the kids cant buckle them because of the tight fit?  

#5 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

They physically do not fit with the Radian. With the RA, it's very tight and the big kids can't buckle themselves, but we make it work.

#6 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Is there an upper tether there?  If so, you could use the ride safer travel vest with tether.  It's kind of a pain for every day use, but your booster riders could buckle themselves and such.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 11 Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

No tether, alas.

#8 of 11 Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 AM

I don't know about narrower, but the Complete Air, Myride or the True Fit might work for you - I think they both sit up higher than the Radian and both he would have inches to grow into. The only downside is that they are convertible seats so you would only be using half the function of the seat, but they probably would work for you. Normally, I'd recommend the Graco Nautilus or the Frontier but I don't think they will fit well if you can barely get a roundabout in there. Oh, you *could* try the Maestro as well - might buy you some time. 

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#9 of 11 Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Yes, if they sit up higher that could do it. But any suggestions on how to try them out without buying? Do places like Target/BRU ever let you try a floor model out in the parking lot or anything?

Of course, I guess this doesn't solve the eventual problem of being able to fit 3 boosters across. Can people usually do that in a subcompact? How??

#10 of 11 Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post

Thanks! Yes, if they sit up higher that could do it. But any suggestions on how to try them out without buying? Do places like Target/BRU ever let you try a floor model out in the parking lot or anything?

Of course, I guess this doesn't solve the eventual problem of being able to fit 3 boosters across. Can people usually do that in a subcompact? How??

BRU does, you usually have to leave a driver's license with them and sometimes a sales person has to come with you. 3 boosters across can be tricky, I know some people that have to leave the boosters buckled always and have the kids slide in under the seatbelt every single time. It also can take puzzling different boosters together because of the armrests, something like 3 turbo boosters may not work. If you do 2 and one seat then sometimes you can put child in, slide booster over, buckle, and then slide booster back into place. But either way it is a royal pain. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 11 Old 03-25-2011, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post

Well, you cannot use 3 boosters in your car, ever, if the middle spot is a lap only belt.  The only safe way to use that spot is a harnessed seat.  So you will have to get a different car at some point.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).

Tags
Baby Trend Flex Loc Infant Car Seat Everest W Base , Britax Frontier 85 Harness 2 Booster Car Seat , Compass B530 Folding Booster Car Seat Retro Geo , Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Caroline , Graco Nautilus 3 In 1 Car Seat Lagrange , Graco Snugride Infant Car Seat Lively Dots , Maxi Cosi Rodi Xr Booster Car Seat Roasted Brown , Maxi Cosi Priori Convertible Car Seat Lily Pink

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page