Three kids in the backseat of a Subaru Outback? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-25-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I need to get a new car, and we're thinking of getting a Subaru. I just did an archive search, and from the looks of it, the Forrester has a slightly narrower backseat than the Ouback. My kids are 2.5, 5, and 12. My 2.5 year old rides in a Britax Marathon, my 5 year old rides in a Graco Turbo Elite booster, and my 12 year old rides on the seat of his jeans. Can I seat two kiddos in car seats and an older child in the back seat of an Outback safely and comfotably? I would really appreciate hearing from mamas who own or have experience with late-model Outbacks. smile.gif Thanks!

ETA: My 2.5 year old will probably be big enough to move to a booster in the coming year, so I'm willing to put up with reduced roominess in the short term as long as my 12 year old has enough room to ride safely and comfortably.

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#2 of 3 Old 03-25-2011, 09:18 AM

I can fit 3 kids in the backseat of my outback, but it's tight.  We have a graco nautilus and an evenlflo big kid booster - both outboard.  Then one kid in the middle with no car seat. 

Did you mean to say your 2.5 will be ready for a booster soon?  They can't ride in a booster until at least 4 years of age, and it's really best to stay harnessed until 5 or so.  Maybe you meant a combo seat like the nautilus that can transition to a booster later on? 

Anyhow, I would guess the Marathon and Turbo booster (we have used both in another vehicle) would fit outboard and your 12 yr old could squeeze between the two, but it would be easier if you had a seat less bulky than the Britax. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 3 Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Well, by "soon," I mean within the next couple years. We keep our cars for a long time, so I'm considering our long-tern needs as my kids get bigger and their car seat needs change. My 2.5 year old will be in the Britax for a while yet. I go by height and weight when choosing car seats rather than chronological age. My 5 year old just moved from her Marathon to the Turbo a couple weeks ago, so I'm not in a hurry to get my 2.5 year old out of hers. I might go ahead and look for a convertible less wide than the Marathon. A Radian, maybe?

I currently drive a Saturn sedan, and with the Britax and the Graco in the backseat, I cannot fit a third passenger back there. Saturns were not known for their spacious interiors, so pretty much any vehicle will give me more room in back than my Saturn.

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Tags
Britax Parkway Sg Booster Seat , Graco Nautilus 3 In 1 Car Seat Lagrange , Graco Snugride Infant Car Seat Lively Dots

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page