Need LATCH weight limit info - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi.  We just got a new car and I'm trying to find this information to no avail.  And my Britax manual is telling me to defer to the auto manual.

1. What is the LATCH weight limit for Infinity with a Britax Frontier?  My daughter is currently 40 pounds and we can NOT get the seat belts to install correctly (both long belt path and short belt path).  If the LATCH system is out I'm afraid we have to move to a booster using the selt belt. :(  The bright side is that this is my husband's car and she's in it *maybe* 2-3 times a month.

2. What's the LATCH weight limit for a Lexus with a Britax Boulevard?  I asked this before and got two different answers (one was 40 pounds and the other 48 pounds) - which one is the correct answer?  Luckily I can use seat belts in my car with a tight install, but I prefer LATCH's simplicity.

Thank you so much!  I really do appreciate that you ladies are so helpful with this information.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#2 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 09:51 AM

I'm not sure about Infiniti, I'll have to look it up.  Lexus/Toyota would be 48 lbs.  

CPST & mom

#3 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Anna. Please look into the Infinity. What book/source lists all these weight limits? This stuff should be in the manual!!

Angela
#4 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 02:13 PM

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=93117 should help :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#5 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Infiniti (Nissan) does not state a limit: instructions are to defer to the child restraint.  Britax states a limit of 40# unless the vehicle specifically allows for more.  Since Infiniti does not, you must use a seatbelt install at 40#.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#6 of 15 Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

That's confusing to me.  If the manufacturer gave a weight limit of 48 pounds then Britax would be ok with that, right?  But if the manufacturer doesn't give any indication of a weight then I have to go back to 40 pounds.  So the car seat itself is fully capable of going to a higher weight limit in the LATCH.  It's just nuts.

I also couldn't find Britax's weight limit of 40 or deferring to the auto manufacturer.  Why isn't this information easier to find?!?

When I couldn't find the answer in the manual I called Infiniti this morning.  The guy was reading the same manual as me and couldn't find the answer so he went to go ask a coworker and was told that I could use LATCH to EIGHTY POUNDS with a booster.  Ugh!  It was at that point that I came here as I knew you all would have a much better idea.

And now I'm back to the real problem that we can not get the seat belts to hold this stinking car seat in to his car in any fashion.  She's going to be five in two days and I can't, in good faith, put her in a booster.

Angela
#7 of 15 Old 03-27-2011, 01:32 AM

have you tried the LBP?  That usually works.  Sometimes you think your belt isn't long enough, but with like 2 people and some copious swearing, you realize it actually does *just* fit.  

CPST
#8 of 15 Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 AM

On page 3 of the Britax Frontier manual, it states: "Unless specified otherwise by the manufacturer, assume a 40 pound child is the vehicle LATCH anchor limit."

#9 of 15 Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

That's confusing to me.  If the manufacturer gave a weight limit of 48 pounds then Britax would be ok with that, right?  But if the manufacturer doesn't give any indication of a weight then I have to go back to 40 pounds.  So the car seat itself is fully capable of going to a higher weight limit in the LATCH.  It's just nuts.

I also couldn't find Britax's weight limit of 40 or deferring to the auto manufacturer.  Why isn't this information easier to find?!?

When I couldn't find the answer in the manual I called Infiniti this morning.  The guy was reading the same manual as me and couldn't find the answer so he went to go ask a coworker and was told that I could use LATCH to EIGHTY POUNDS with a booster.  Ugh!  It was at that point that I came here as I knew you all would have a much better idea.

And now I'm back to the real problem that we can not get the seat belts to hold this stinking car seat in to his car in any fashion.  She's going to be five in two days and I can't, in good faith, put her in a booster.

Think of the latch anchors of the car as separate from the seat. So each car can have a different model of anchor bolts, doesn't matter what the carseat latch straps are rated for if what you want to connect them to won't hold the weight.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#10 of 15 Old 03-27-2011, 09:28 PM

I would use LATCH to 80 lbs with a booster, since it's not taking the force of the crash but rather holding the booster in place when it's not occupied.  When a seat is installed with LATCH, the anchors hold the seat and the seat's harness straps hold the kid.  In a booster, the seatbelt is taking all of the stress of the impact.  

CPST & mom

#11 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You could get a nautilus if you want to keep her harnessed.  Have you looked for a tech in your area for help with the belt install?

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#12 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM

My Blvds states to 48lbs for LATCH or refer to manuf. specs

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#13 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

BobandJess - We have tried the LBP and it's just not working.  I think my husband is just done trying with the belts and we were really hoping the limit was higher than 40#.

chickabiddy - Thank you for finding the actual weight limit in the book!  I swear, I read that thing backwards and forwards...to no avail.

dahlia - We bought this Frontier so it would be the last seat she would need in my husband's car and I so don't want to buy another!  So annoying.

Smidge - The car seat in question is a Frontier since (I'm happy to hear!!) the Boulevard in the Lexus goes up eight more pounds.

Hmm.  Since the belts are just a nightmare in this car I'm wondering if we can use the HBB as an option for her as she's almost never in that car...

Thank you, everyone, for your help.  I really do appreciate that you all are so on the ball with safety. :)

Angela
#14 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 02:04 PM

What is the date of manufacture of the Boulevard?  Sometime around 2008 (I think) the Boulevard also changed to 40# unless otherwise specified.  Recent Boulevard manuals have the same wording as the Frontier manual (on page 3). In the LATCH manual ( a guide for technicians), Britax states that the limit is 40# and that this is a change from previous instructions.  This seems to imply to me that the change is retroactive.  If you do have a Boulevard and a manual that states a 48# limit, I would call Britax to confirn.

#15 of 15 Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

What is the date of manufacture of the Boulevard?  Sometime around 2008 (I think) the Boulevard also changed to 40# unless otherwise specified.  Recent Boulevard manuals have the same wording as the Frontier manual (on page 3). In the LATCH manual ( a guide for technicians), Britax states that the limit is 40# and that this is a change from previous instructions.  This seems to imply to me that the change is retroactive.  If you do have a Boulevard and a manual that states a 48# limit, I would call Britax to confirn.

I didn't read it in the manual, it's on a sticker on the seat.  Thanks for the info.  I will be re-installing 1 of my Blvds b/c dd is 39lbs :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page