Turn him or get a new seat? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Turn him or buy a new seat?
Turn him at 2 2 13.33%
Buy a new seat and keep him RF 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS will be 2 in a month.  He's currently RF in a 2007 Britax Roundabout and is well under the weight limit (he's around 25 lbs., limit is 35 lbs.), but he's getting really close to the height limit (supposed to be 1" or more under the top of the seat).  The seat doesn't expire for 2 more years, so DH would like to turn him.  I had planned on keeping him RF to the limits of the seat, but I didn't think he'd outgrow it so quickly.

So...do we buy a new one with higher limits or just turn him?

Thanks!!

Mama to 1 Girl, 1 Boy
#2 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does ff give you more room height wise?

I think many people just look at a seat's weight limit to see how long a seat would last, and forget height.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

The user's manual says that the height limit for FF is 49" and the tops of the child's ears are below the top of the seat.  So, he'd be able to use the seat FF for a while longer.

Mama to 1 Girl, 1 Boy
#4 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

He'll probably get another 2 years out of it ffing.  BUT, he probably won't be ready for a booster by then, so at that point you'll have to buy another harnessed seat.  I would recommend buying another harnessed seat now with taller harness and shell (which is a lot of seats, the old roundabout is small) that will work rfing now and last until booster age.  Then you can just buy a dedicated booster.  I'd look at the true fit, complete air, or radian.

TiredX2 and MJB like this.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 AM

"I" would turn him at 2 and use the seat.   Who knows that new/nicer seats will be availible in 2 yrs but I would not waste a britax seat.  

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#6 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Britax seats are not that special.

I agree with Dahlia that you're going to need another seat to get him to a safe booster age/size.  Kids usually outgrow the Roundabout around age 3 (the shoulders also need to be below the top strap slots).  I'd go ahead and buy the new seat now and keep him RFing a little longer.

P.S.  The height limit on a Roundabout is 40", not 49", and most kids don't even make it to 40".  Are you sure you have a Roundabout and not a Marathon (the Marathon does have a stated height limit of 49", but most kids outgrow it between 42"-45").

MJB likes this.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#7 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 05:01 PM

I'd absolutely get a new convertible.  As others have said, you'll need another harnessed seat to get him to booster size anyway.  Since it sounds like he's on the tall side, I'd avoid Britax (all their seats are on the shorter side, though the Roundabout is a bit extreme).  My DD outgrew the Roundabout RF by height around 20 months.  She is still rearfacing in her Safety 1st Complete Air at 34 months,  38" and 35lbs.  No way on earth would she fit in a Roundabout, even forward facing, and she's not yet 40".  She has also outgrown the other Britax seats (Marathon, etc) by height rear-facing, though she could still fit FF for a bit, though probably not until booster age.  I'm confident her Complete Air will get her to 3.5 or so RF and to 5 or so FF.  

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#8 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 AM

I am not comfortable with a 2yr old forward facing ever.

-Angela

#9 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM

I would FF him, but get a new FF seat like the Nautilus. I am comfortable FF a 2 year old though. The Nautilus will allow him to harness longer(80lbs) and then also change to a booster when he is ready for that.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#10 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM

Tbe Nautilus harnesses to 65#, not 80#.

#11 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM

Oh yes, you are right! It boosters until 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

Tbe Nautilus harnesses to 65#, not 80#.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#12 of 14 Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM

Boosters to 100#. :)

#13 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 06:48 PM

I would buy another seat to continue rear facing. We have the True Fit, it seems to have a taller shell than many others and have been very happy with it. But when #2 comes along, I have my eye on a Complete Air, which also has a taller shell (just for sake of trying something different than what we already have).

SAHM to my #1 little miss (9/11/09) and have been TTC since 06/10 (with 1 loss 3/12/11).We do all the usual "crunchy" things!I'm typing from my iPhone so please excuse any errors.
#14 of 14 Old 04-02-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post

He'll probably get another 2 years out of it ffing.  BUT, he probably won't be ready for a booster by then, so at that point you'll have to buy another harnessed seat.  I would recommend buying another harnessed seat now with taller harness and shell (which is a lot of seats, the old roundabout is small) that will work rfing now and last until booster age.  Then you can just buy a dedicated booster.  I'd look at the true fit, complete air, or radian.

This is my reaction as well.  You're going to need to buy a new seat for him eventually anyway, might as well buy one now. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page