Yes...she is, technically breaking the "law" 7 28.00%
other 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-02-2011, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

that a subordinate in your workplace had her 8 month old already forward  facing....and you've already spoken to her about it, and she said, "well, she is slightly reclined and is comfortable and fine..."  WWYD?   She is not my "soldier"---I'm not her direct boss?  Should I bring it up with our first sergeant or commander?   I'm willing to do a safety day class regarding passenger safety, to include minors.  Technically, I can order her to switch her baby to rear facing, but I'd rather her do so willingly.  And have a CPST look at the car seat situation.  Knowing what I know, if anything happened to her child, I'm not sure i could live with myself.  I keep telling myself that ABC is X's child, and not my business, but y'know how I feel.

#2 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 06:03 AM

I'm not military, but it seems to me that if she's violating your state's laws (which she is assumedly doing), you'd have every right and responsibility to order her to comply.  Maybe if you frame it that way, it might be easier?  I think a safety day class would be a great idea in general, though.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 AM

I guess it is different in that you can force the issue because of the military. If she disobeys and puts the child in the car seat wrong, then what would happen? In a typical work place situation if you suggested something non work related and the person clearly knows and choses something else, since it is non work related you really should just let it go.  In your situation I would think about what if it was a different  nonwork related issue, would you demand it? I personally would let it go. She knows, she chooses to do something else, its her business. You could have some inservice on car safety. At our work place we did a whole series of inservices on car safety, like car seats, winter dringin, defensive diving, speeding, etc.  It is an office job, so its not like  driving was our "job", just that everyone drives personally off work, so they brought this program in. It was really good with these great videos from australia, that Ithink were commercials in australia, very realistic and thought provoking! I think in the owrk place that would be more appropriate than forcing a subordinate to  use a car seat correctly, even if you can because its the military.

#4 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I would either do a general car seat safety training or just talk with her. I would not order her to do it. It has nothing to do with her job (and I get the whole military thing.)

#5 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 01:16 PM

I'd say something. It's not justa matetr of well the kid one so it's legal, not safe, but legal. It's illegal and I'd speak up about anything illegal (beyond going a few miles over the speed limit).

obstruct livery vehicles

#6 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 01:41 PM

If she's breaking the law (which she probably is), then I would at least speak to a higher up about it, or give the order yourself. I do believe the military has the responsibility to ensure those serving are not blatantly disregarding laws. If it's not, then suggestions, a driving safety course, or even organizing a car seat check if your can would be a good idea, but will have to say that in the end it would be her choice.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#7 of 10 Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM

No I wouldn't go to her higher up. In a civilian work place would you tell on them to their boss? 

To me I would suggest a class for the whole group. Most bases offer car seat checks monthly. Offer the FRG or whatever family support group you have to do a class as part of their meeting and have it mandatory for all Soldier to attend. If that fails then I would report it. However I don't see the MPs doing anything about it unless they had another reason to stop her. Then try local law officials. 

#8 of 10 Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is not a work issue. Call your police non-emergency hotline and give her tag number and tell what you spotted.
#9 of 10 Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 PM

I would bring it up with the SP's....tag the car/s coming on base. It most likely wouldn't hurt to do random check.  

#10 of 10 Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM
CEG

When I was active duty (Army) on weekends where we were having a three or four day pass we always had to go through these ridiculous vehicle inspection to get the pass-- they would check lights, tires, etc before you would be allowed to leave. Maybe you could set up a car seat check in conjunction with something like this or you could set something like this up on it's own. The only catch being that it singles out soldiers with kids.

You could in fact, reasonably order her to fix the seat in my opinion.  It's the military.  You can order someone to cut their hair or mow their lawn or force them to pay their credit card bills.  Doesn't translate well into a civilin frame of mind.  She will probably resent you a lot and it may cause some angst but technically she is breaking the law.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page