Another seat rec thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're going to switch DD out of her bucket to a convertible.  I've been looking at the oft-recommended ones - Tru eFit, My Ride, Marathon, Triumph Advance - but can't make up my mind.  Anyone want to give me their two cents?

DD is 14 months, just about 22 lbs and 28 1/2 inches, so on the smaller side.  We have a '97 Maxima (no LATCH) and we have her in the middle seat.  DH is tall and needs his seat back all the way.  We'll be RFing as long as possible.

TIA!

DD 2/28/10
#2 of 10 Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 AM

We have the Triumph and like it RFing except for the fact that in our car, the crank that tightens the belt digs into the seat a bit so it is hard to reach. DH is also tall and has the seat pretty far back. With a more upright install it is ok.

Right now we have the Britax Roundabout RFing behind the driver and it is also good. The Marathon also fitted.

We have a Mazda3 sedan.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#3 of 10 Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 PM

I only have experience with the Britax Marathon, but I do think it would be a good, long-term fit.  Just my two cents!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#4 of 10 Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Britax seats, especially the new ones wont last you as long rearfacing or forward facing as many other seats that cost the same or less.  

My favorites are the Truefit and Radian, I know a lot of people who love their MyRide's, which work well for kids on the smaller side sense the shell is a bit shorter.  

#5 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 06:15 AM

THIS ONE is very comfortable for our little one.  I think it's easy to use etc, but thats my opinion.

#6 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 AM

I still can't make up my mind and I'm a tech and work with seats every day, LOL!

They all have pros and cons. The Britax seats really are easy to install, so if you'll be moving it a lot that helps. And they have built in lock offs, since you have to use a belt. But they won't last as long, and have less leg room RFing that some of the others.

The TrueFit also has a built in lock off. It's got a nice tall harness but only has a 35lb weight limit rear facing, if you think that might be an issue.

The MyRide is crazy reclined FFing. I am not comfortable with the forward facing recline and neither was my son.

The Evenflo Triumph Advance often needs a noodle or something to help the recline rearfacing. And sometimes the knob tightener ends up buried in the seat back.The seat belt install can be a pain, so for that reason alone I would skip it if I knew I would be using a belt all the time.

Best luck deciding!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#7 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

By height, the seats that will last the longest are the Complete Air, Radian, and True Fit.  The CA rf's to 40lbs, the radian to 40 or 45 depending on model, and the True Fit to 35.  The CA and TF forward face until 65lbs, the Radian until 65 or 80 depending on model (though in all honesty any of those three will most likely be outgrown by height before 65lbs).  My 6yo is around 43lbs and 47" tall and he still fits in the Complete Air, just barely.  He is a smidge to tall to ride in the radian. But really, any of those should get you to booster age.

The radian can take up a lot of room front to back rfing, depending on your vehicle.  Some it works great in, others not so much.  The CA is easy to install more upright to take up less room.  I haven't tried the True Fit, so I can't comment there.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oh, I should add you won't need a lockoff/locking clip unless you are installing with a belt in a pre-1997 vehicle.  I believe the belts in your car should lock.  And you probably have a lap belt in the center, which even if the outer belts do not lock the lap belt does so you don't have to worry about that. 

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#9 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses!  I actually just ordered the Marathon 70 yesterday (on sale right now at Albee Baby).  Seemed to have the most consistent reviews, and Consumer Reports gave it pretty high marks for rear-facing fit-to-vehicle.  The other one they liked RFing was the Triumph Advance LX, but I read too many stories of the tightening mechanism getting buried in the seat, so I decided against it.  I'll update when we've got the Britax in case anyone's interested.  Thanks again!

DD 2/28/10
#10 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 PM

I think you'll love the Britax!  Yeeks!  How exciting!  I always love waiting for a package.  love.gif

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page