tag along bike - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Does anyone use a tag along bike for thier LO. How do you find it? Are there any features I should be on the look out for.  Also how old was your child when you started using it.

I have a 4 1/2 yo who is not yet riding his own bike. He can peddle with staibilsers on but can't go far. I usually end up with him walking and me carrying the bike if we try to go anywhere.

We want to be able to cycle to and from school, which is about a mile, all on smooth paths. At the moment we're using a bike trailer but as it doesn't look like he'll be riding on his own any time soon I'm starting to wonder about a tag along. Hoping that it might increase his confidence a bit, and be a bit more "grown up" for him.

#2 of 5 Old 04-28-2011, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We got one last year and love it.  Our son flipped when he saw it, he was so excited. 

It is a good solution for us right now (our son is 5 yo) because in town, there is too much traffic for him to bike on his own.  He isn't steady enough to peddle and watch for traffic and navigate the streets/sidewalks.  Too much going on at one time.  With the half-bike, he peddles merrily along and we can relax knowing he isn't going to peddle out into traffic, fall over, hit a pothole, etc.

When we use it on the flat trails, we can go for miles.  We like to pack a picnic lunch and ride several miles out to a state park, play and picnic and ride back later in the afternoon.  On his own, there is no way he could do 10+ miles on the trail.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#3 of 5 Old 04-30-2011, 06:56 AM

Anyone know how small they adjust down to?   My ds is super tiny!

#4 of 5 Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Not sure of seat height, but DH has adjusted ours so that our 5 year old can use it, and she is like 33 lb and maybe 42-43" tall.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#5 of 5 Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Glad to hear others like them. I'm now watching ebay till I find one locally.

I've also found this http://www.trail-gator.com/ which looks like it would be good for occasional use. I love the idea of the child being able to cycle on their own then hooked back onto the parent when needed.

You can't use stabisers on the child's bike though so it won't work for us. I have enough issues getting out of the house on time without finding I need to removing training wheels from DSs bike before we can get to school lol.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page