Need help thinking through what to do for a carseat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a set of twins.  They are 2yrs 4mos old.  One twin is in a Radian80 rear facing and it goes till 35lbs. and the other twin is in a Britax MA which expires this month.  I do have an older ds.  He is 5 1/2yrs old and in  Regent.  We have at least 4 yrs left on that seat before it expires.

Both twins are rearfacing. 

Here is what I need to think through and get some thoughts from some car seat techs.

Since the MA expires this month, its very important I buy another seat.  I am ready to buy a Safety 1st Complete Air.  All my kids are tall like daddy so this will be great for one of the twins.  Another thought is to switch my 5yr old to a high back booster.  He does ride in one in daddy's van as booster training and does very well.  I would switch him to a booster and switch my twins FF and put one of the twins in the Regent and the other twin in the Radian FF.

Question:  Since my 5yr old turns 6 in Sept, is it too early for a high back booster?  He is 46lbs and 46 inches from head to toe.

If I go with putting my 5yr old in a booster, then I can save money by not having to buy another seat.  But, I would love to keep the twins rf till at least 3yrs old.  They are about 28lbs and 32lbs.

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#2 of 4 Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Could you sell the Regent to fund another seat for the twin in the Marathon?  That would be my first choice.  And yes as long as he does well in it, a booster would be an appropriate choice for the 5yo :)

CPST & mom

#3 of 4 Old 05-02-2011, 01:00 PM

I would buy a rearfacing seat for one of the little ones, and keep your older ds in the seat he has.    

Otherwise how would you decide which twin to keep safer rearfacing, and which to risk forward facing? 

#4 of 4 Old 05-02-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

I would buy a rearfacing seat for one of the little ones, and keep your older ds in the seat he has.    

Otherwise how would you decide which twin to keep safer rearfacing, and which to risk forward facing? 

I would keep them both rf.  I have thought about this many times!  I would put J- 28lbs in the Radian and put R-32lbs in the Complete Air should we get that seat.  J doesn't gain weight like R does so he could be in the Radian till probably 3yrs old and finally get to 35lbs.  However, if he should get to 35lbs before 3, then I would ff both of them.  I am happy we have gone as long as we have.  They are almost 2 1/2yrs old.  Thats longer than most people keep their kids rearfacing.

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page