Why all this trouble with the Frontier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've installed many different car seats in quite a few different cars but none has ever been as simple as the Frontier with a LATCH install, do your cars not have LATCH?

#2 of 10 Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 PM

The frontier is definitely above average in difficult installs, but yes, there are some vehicles in which it goes in extremely smoothly.  Congratulations :)  As to the latch vs seatbelt ..well, it depends on the car.  In some vehicles, a latch installation works great...in others, not so much.  In some vehicles, a seat belt install works great...and others not so much...in still others the long belt path works great, but not others...you get the pattern here right? LOL.  In some vehicles, the frontier is simply incompatible..in some vehicles, there are some seats in which it works , and others where it wont.  

For me, one of the biggest problems was the fact the recline block has to be in FRONT when in harnessed mode.  It made the seat tilt back, and because of the way the seats are shaped and angled in my vehicle, it made it VERY difficult to install..like hours of swearing hard lol.  Latch simply wouldn't work at all, period, but I was able to get a LBP install.  I've been a tech for almost 4 years, I assure you I tried every trick in the book.  Sometimes seats just won't install in certain places.  

I'm happy for you that the seat you bought works easily in your vehicle :)  

CPST
#3 of 10 Old 05-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post

...it made it VERY difficult to install..like hours of swearing hard lol.  Latch simply wouldn't work at all, period, but I was able to get a LBP install.  I've been a tech for almost 4 years, I assure you I tried every trick in the book.  Sometimes seats just won't install in certain places.  

lol.gif  I am known for cursing like a sailor while trying to install my carseats, most especially the Frontier.  After my very first go-round, I came in and told my husband I regret buying it, lol!  And I'm kind of a go-to person for installs; a lot of my friends ask me q's and come to me for help, but this one had me.  I'm finding that now that the recline block is back for booster mode for my oldest, I have a had a hard time getting the LATCH to work because the seat was so flush with the seat in my van.  UGH!!

OP, I am glad it's working for you, too!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#4 of 10 Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

What cars do you guys own?

#5 of 10 Old 05-04-2011, 01:48 PM

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan, but I only have LATCH and tether in 3 places.  Before the van, I had a 2000 Dodge Neon, and that was a PITA to install!!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

#6 of 10 Old 05-04-2011, 01:53 PM

Well vehicles have LATCH limits so in my vehicle I cannot use the lower anchors after the child weights 40#. And since I rear-faced her until 40#, there was no using lower anchors for me in the Frontier. I couldn't get the long belt path done up, the short belt path would not work, so I put the seat in my parents' vehicle. Which again, I couldn't use the lower anchors since Kia defaults to the child seat manufacturer, and Britax says that if a limit isn't stated, you use 40#. The long belt path install in my parents' Kia was not bad at all though and the seat fits their seats much better than it does my Acura anyway.

ETA: and some folks want the seat in the centre rear and not all vehicles have centre lower anchors. And of the many that don't, most don't allow borrowing the outboard anchors for a centre install. And all of it's moot anyway if your child is over the lower anchor weight limit for your vehicle.

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#7 of 10 Old 05-05-2011, 12:06 PM

I have a frontier installed w/sb in my 2004 Nissan Murano. It was easy, peasy. It was also easy to install w/LATCH outboard, but I prefer to have him in the middle since he is FF. :)

#8 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 AM

I've never been able to do a Frontier w/belt install because of LATCH weight limits, or seating configuration. The seat can be a beast with the belt. Although I admit to kinda liking the long belt path on the Frontier and Regent, once it's in, it's good and tight and I like how the upper portion of the seat is 'restrained' with the shoulder belt. I have had more, "OMG! I hate this seat but spent a fortune on it, HELP!" phone calls about the Frontier than any other seat...

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#9 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 05:44 AM

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue (2 row) and my Frontier install was easy! DD is almost 50lbs so I can't use the LATCH and it is an awesome TIGHT fit with the seatbelt in any seat. I am actually surprised to hear people struggle with it.

Sarah & Liz = Our 3 princesses: Riley (4/22/05), Teagan (4/15/08) and Finley (4/1/11)!!
#10 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I have a 2006 Vue -- same as the 2004, I think -- and it is a carseat dream.  It is very easy to install in.  I'm not surprised you got a good install with little trouble.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page