What do I do with a used seat that someone gave us? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some friends gave us a bunch of baby/kid stuff for a big garage sale we are having, and among it was a used carseat. It's old and she got it used herself. I am pretty sure it's illegal to sell a used carseat here, but even if it weren't I'd be very hesitant to even give it to someone else. Do I just send it to the dump??

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Toss for sure.
It's more than likely near the expiration date anyways. So even in the best situation ready to be tossed, not to mention the lack of history that would make it a one way ticket to the dump. I don't have issues with trash pickets, so I would just put in the garbage can, others take the seat apart before tossing to prevent someone for taking it out of the trash.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM

We destroy expired seats -- like cut the straps, throw out the padding & break the seat with a sledge hammer!

However, BabiesRUs has 'trade in sales' periodically -- I think one may have just ended in Canada, and no idea when the next one is in the US. You can trade in old/expired baby stuff for a 20% discount on new items. So, if you think you or someone you know (and trust not to USE the seat) would benefit from a 20% discount on a big ticket baby item, it may be worth saving it.

At our store, the sale was on carseats, strollers, playpens & things like swings. The item you brought in didn't need to be the same as the one you purchased -- so you could take in an expired carseat, and use the discount on a pack & play :)

~SynEpona~
Old 05-17-2011, 08:32 PM

If you need a seat, then I'd save it for Babies R Us and do the trade in deal.    Since it's expired, I second cutting the straps, destroying it and putting it in the trash. 

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

We destroy expired seats -- like cut the straps, throw out the padding & break the seat with a sledge hammer!

However, BabiesRUs has 'trade in sales' periodically -- I think one may have just ended in Canada, and no idea when the next one is in the US. You can trade in old/expired baby stuff for a 20% discount on new items. So, if you think you or someone you know (and trust not to USE the seat) would benefit from a 20% discount on a big ticket baby item, it may be worth saving it.

At our store, the sale was on carseats, strollers, playpens & things like swings. The item you brought in didn't need to be the same as the one you purchased -- so you could take in an expired carseat, and use the discount on a pack & play :)

This is what I do...I buy cheap expired seats at garage sales all summer :D

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Is it really true that no car seat is better than an expired carseat?  I would donate it - some people would probably be better off with an old car seat than no car seat at all. 

Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks! We are expecting our first, eventually, through adoption. We will definitely need a thing or two from BRU in the next year or so. Oh, I found a date of manufature and it was made in May 2006 so definitely expired by now anyway!

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 AM

may 2006 wouldn't be expired yet, but that doesn't mean you should use it. most car seats expire 6 years after manufacture. hopefully you can trade it in for something new!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Most social service agencies will refuse to accept / give out expired car seats. Some won't take any used car seats at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

Is it really true that no car seat is better than an expired carseat?  I would donate it - some people would probably be better off with an old car seat than no car seat at all. 

me + DH + DS (10/2010)
Never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way. - MLK

Old 05-18-2011, 09:29 PM

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of grass roots social services - you know, passing a seat on to someone you know in need.   THat's how things are done in my community though.  And t

User Tag List