Biking with toddler in the Ergo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would this be safe? Obviously if we could comfortably get him in their with that big helmet on... I'd do a back carry... he's small and fits comfortably in the Ergo so it sounds ideal but maybe I'm not thinking of something!

We don't have money for a bike trailer or anything right now (DH was laid off), but I'd still love to take him biking if it's safe. I think he'd love it. I'm not talking about anything high-speed, just a casual ride on the bike path or perhaps bring our bikes camping so we can bike the mile or two to get to the beach... Beach ride would be on the road but backroads that get no traffic and the main strip which is so much traffic that it's slow, basically stopped...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would. Assuming you felt your lo was very secure, not leaning backwards too much.
While not as safe in a fall as a trailer, think about all the kids around the world transported like this

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#3 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I woudln't think it's safe (and I'm pretty sure the ergo instructions say not to).  In a bike seat, the child is away from your body if you fall and has some shell around them.  With a trailer, even more protection.  In an ergo, if you fall you could end up falling with quite some force on top of your child.  It also will throw your balance of quite a bit as far as keeping yourself upright on your bike.  I don't think the risk is worth it just becuase you like to bike.  Maybe someone on freecycle has a bike seat they're done with.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 11:02 AM
rcr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
No. It is absolutely not safe.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#5 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 11:21 AM

I'm thinking no, it's not something I would be comfortable doing. Could you fit a bike helmet on an infant in an Ergo? I'm pretty sure you'd need one any other method of transporting on a bike (though - I guess it might depend on the specific bike trailer).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 11:24 AM

I vote not safe.   

I got my bike seat on craigslist for $10.  Maybe look there for one. 

#7 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 AM

I vote safe.  People  ride with babies on their backs all over the world.  If you are a confident cyclist, I would go for it.  I wouldn't do it is a heavy traffic area, but otherwise yes.   Have fun!

#8 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

I vote safe.  People  ride with babies on their backs all over the world.  If you are a confident cyclist, I would go for it.  I wouldn't do it is a heavy traffic area, but otherwise yes.   Have fun!

People also don't use carseats in many countries.   Doesn't make it safe, just different.    (I grew up in China, lots of kids on bikes, no carseats/seatbelts in the cars, given those options the bike is safer) 

#9 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 AM

I was just going to say many parents in Mexico don't use car seats, but that doesn't mean their babies are truly safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

I would not

#11 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A good rule of thumb is 'if you wouldn't do something while pregnant, don't do it with baby in a carrier or sling.'

That said, if you buy a trailor or seat, I found this site to be helpful on safety: http://www.bhsi.org/little1s.htm 

Last year I purchased a bike seat. However after researching safety issues a bit have decided to wait until my 18 month old is sturdier. He must be able to withstand a fall (even with a helmet) and his neck and spine to withstand the jarring of road surfaces.

GuildJenn likes this.
#12 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 12:24 PM

I would definitely not.  That really throws off your center of gravity which is important when biking. 

#13 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm a little confused lol.gif

I certainly rode my bike while pregnant, was I not supposed to????

My DS is 2.25, he's not an infant... and he has a bike helmet, he wears it when I push him in his push bike (just to get him used to the bike = helmet concept! plus he loves it...)

I walk, hike, etc. with him on my back and my balance is just fine.

I'm very interested in the reasoning everyone has and would like to hear more. I'm certainly not dead-set on doing this but I'd love to hear solid reasoning not just "No way."

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 PM

I would ride my bike while pregnant but not with a kid in an ergo.  Mainly because it is a loooooooooooong fall for a baby or a two year old.  A kid can still take a pretty hard hit to the head even with a helmet with a fall like that and could get a concussion.  If I absolutely had to do it for some reason I probably would, but if it is just for pleasure, I wouldn't want to risk the fall.  I just don't see the point. 

#15 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

If your toddler is in a trailer and you fall, the trailer typically stays upright, or merely tips over, and if does happen to roll, the child is belted in and has some protection from the trailer frame, particularly overhead.

If your toddler is in a front or rear toddler seat, again, the molding of the seat and the buckles keep him safer.

If your toddler is on your back, you fall tandem.  Your child has no protection whatsoever, and could be much more seriously hurt, depending on the way that you fall and how fast you were going.

As an aside, my daughter's bike helmet wouldn't be very comfortable on her while she's in the Ergo.

Why would you choose to use an Ergo on a bike when it's not meant for that, and there are so many other approved and tested alternatives?  If price is an issue, like a previous poster suggested, CL is great for bike seats and trailers. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#16 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Why would you choose to use an Ergo on a bike when it's not meant for that, and there are so many other approved and tested alternatives?  If price is an issue, like a previous poster suggested, CL is great for bike seats and trailers. 

Because I was wondering if biking with an Ergo WAS a good alternative. I didn't realize this was so clear-cut that I should've already known it was a bad idea. greensad.gif

I was thinking it would be nice because DS needs to be physically touching me to be consistently happy. I don't think a bike seat or a trailer would keep him content consistently enough to bother, at this point.

I guess we'll just wait 'til he can reach the pedals himself before we try biking.

#17 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 02:48 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There has been some research on this from the transportation research board (part of the national academies), I believe. It is most definitely not safe. I will try to find some links when I am not typing from my phone.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#18 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post

No. It is absolutely not safe.

I agree! I'm sorry but why one Earth would you think it's safe?
#19 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 03:25 PM

DH did this a couple times and I never liked it. He just went to the neighbor's (on our very rural dead-end road with almost no motor traffic), but I cringed as they pulled away. They were both fine, of course, but it still made me very nervous.

#20 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think it should be more about what each of us is comfortable doing, not what others think is safe or not safe.

I agree with a previous poster who said if you're a confident bike rider then go for it.

Do a short test ride and if you feel safe and comfortable and babe is happy then by all means carry on. Personally, I would probably not wear my baby on a bike riding on city streets or sidewalks, but I think I would wear babe on bike rides on trails and beaches especially if they're mellow, low "traffic" rides.

I've used bike seats and trailers. Love the trailer, not so much the bike seat-those things really throw off my balance!

I can't imagine how a content baby would throw off your balance in a back carry...Thinking back to riding my bike to college w/a 30lb backpack and that never threw off my balance, why would a baby? If baby is thrashing around you're obviously gonna stop to tend to it, right?

I don't see the problem. Yes, it's a long ways to fall, but it all goes back to mama's confidence level on a bike, and she's obviously not going to wear her baby if she's a brand new bike rider.

Good Luck OP!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#21 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Because I was wondering if biking with an Ergo WAS a good alternative. I didn't realize this was so clear-cut that I should've already known it was a bad idea. greensad.gif

I was thinking it would be nice because DS needs to be physically touching me to be consistently happy. I don't think a bike seat or a trailer would keep him content consistently enough to bother, at this point.

I guess we'll just wait 'til he can reach the pedals himself before we try biking.

You might be surprised, my kids- even those who usually have to be touching me- LOVE riding in the bike trailer.   They also love the seat on the bike.  If yours really has to feel like he is close, something like the ibert (front mounted) might be a good idea.  

Now, that said, on a slow cruiser bike ride away from traffic, I would consider wearing a toddler.  I would prefer other options, but if that was what I had and I wanted to try to make it work, I am not so terrified of injury at low speeds and relatively low heights that I think there would be significant mechanism of injury to endanger the child's life if he was wearing a helmet. 

#22 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

I can't imagine how a content baby would throw off your balance in a back carry...Thinking back to riding my bike to college w/a 30lb backpack and that never threw off my balance, why would a baby? If baby is thrashing around you're obviously gonna stop to tend to it, right?

A content BABY might not throw off balance, but a 2 year old very well could.  Just moving their hands, shifting how they hold their head, etc.  Just b/c they are content doesn't mean they won't move.  A 30lb backpack is a stationary object that can be secured so that it doesn't move - a toddler has a mind of his/her own and will move their hands and heads and feet, which can throw a bike off balance. 

Even if I were a confident rider (I'm not) I wouldnt do it, nor would I ever let anyone else, b/c I don't want my child to be the cushion should they fall. 

MamitaM likes this.
#23 of 65 Old 05-21-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post

A good rule of thumb is 'if you wouldn't do something while pregnant, don't do it with baby in a carrier or sling.'

That said, if you buy a trailor or seat, I found this site to be helpful on safety: http://www.bhsi.org/little1s.htm 

Last year I purchased a bike seat. However after researching safety issues a bit have decided to wait until my 18 month old is sturdier. He must be able to withstand a fall (even with a helmet) and his neck and spine to withstand the jarring of road surfaces.

This is funny to me because I've biked throughout all my pregnancies, as do many other people I know - right here in the good old Us of a.

#24 of 65 Old 05-22-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamitaM View Post

I'm really surprised by some of the reactions to this. If I didn't visit MDC, I would already be out there biking with the Ergo, but I vaguely remembered someone mentioning something about it a while back so I figured I'd double-check. It surprises me that it's NOT safe, and that it is assumed I should just KNOW that. I don't ride at high speeds. I ride slowly, relaxed, on low-traffic roads. I don't have a tall bike, I do not understand the "it's a long fall" point because it's just as long as if I were wearing him while walking in short heels or something!! I've been riding a bike since I was basically DS's age. He loves being in the Ergo and it does not throw my balance off at all. He is basically part of me, nearly like if I were still pregnant, when he's in the Ergo. So that's why I thought it might be safe. I can respect that I am wrong about that, but I am confused about why it's so obvious, and some are reacting like I said, "Is it OK to let DS stick knives in the outlets?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

You might be surprised, my kids- even those who usually have to be touching me- LOVE riding in the bike trailer.   They also love the seat on the bike.  If yours really has to feel like he is close, something like the ibert (front mounted) might be a good idea.  

He has sensory issues, that's why he has to be touching me (not just close/seeing me). He might be OK in a trailer or seat for a short time but it's very very likely he wouldn't be able to handle more than a few minutes. If I had money to spare, I'd give it a try & cut my losses if it didn't work out, but since I don't, I guess we'll just wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post

There has been some research on this from the transportation research board (part of the national academies), I believe. It is most definitely not safe. I will try to find some links when I am not typing from my phone.
Thank you, would love to see those links if you do find them!!

#25 of 65 Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

He has sensory issues, that's why he has to be touching me (not just close/seeing me). He might be OK in a trailer or seat for a short time but it's very very likely he wouldn't be able to handle more than a few minutes. If I had money to spare, I'd give it a try & cut my losses if it didn't work out, but since I don't, I guess we'll just wait.

I wonder if you might be able to try one at a bike shop to see if it would work.  Or maybe a thrift shop/garage sale/craigslist.  I was shocked that my  guy likes it so much, it's one of the few ways he feels safe and happy.  Additionally it's great for his core muscles as they are very weak.  We deal with sensory issues here as well, so I understand the concern.  I just want to say it really might be something that makes him really happy. My guy complained for about two minutes initially then absolutely fell in love with it and will now try to drag me to the bike all the time.  It's a surefire meltdown cure here as well, which for a kid who has some special needs means the world. 

#26 of 65 Old 05-22-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamitaM View Post

I'm really surprised by some of the reactions to this. If I didn't visit MDC, I would already be out there biking with the Ergo, but I vaguely remembered someone mentioning something about it a while back so I figured I'd double-check. It surprises me that it's NOT safe, and that it is assumed I should just KNOW that. I don't ride at high speeds. I ride slowly, relaxed, on low-traffic roads. I don't have a tall bike, I do not understand the "it's a long fall" point because it's just as long as if I were wearing him while walking in short heels or something!! I've been riding a bike since I was basically DS's age. He loves being in the Ergo and it does not throw my balance off at all. He is basically part of me, nearly like if I were still pregnant, when he's in the Ergo. So that's why I thought it might be safe. I can respect that I am wrong about that, but I am confused about why it's so obvious, and some are reacting like I said, "Is it OK to let DS stick knives in the outlets?"

The difference between walking in heels (which I've done while babywearing) and biking, is that you will be moving faster, even if you're biking slowly.  You won't be able to catch yourself in the same way as if you fell while walking, and if you get hit by a car, or hit something in the road and fall over the handlebars, its possible you could land on your baby - while moving at a high rate of speed and you would land with alot of force (much more force than if you fell while walking or running even).  Now, I know this can also happen while we're walking and babywearing, if someone got hit by a car, but the chances of getting hit as a pedestrian (I know I'm SUPER careful when I cross streets and stuff as a pedestrian and I have DS with me) I believe are lower.

Same goes for balance - when you're walking your balance is much different.  Walking you use your own 2 feet to balance, but on a bike its more complicated b/c you're balancing on a seat, that has 2 wheels - neither of which are able to adjust when something above them move unexpectedly.  I remember being on a bike when I was 7 or 8 in the park, and I waved to someone - it COMEPLETELY threw the bike off balance!  I was so surprised by how it affected the balance of the bike - now if someone had been riding on my back, and I couldn't control their movements and THEY had waved, we surely would have fallen.

#27 of 65 Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM

This is up to you... It is not technically safe though, no. I have seen others doing this though. Use your own judgement

#28 of 65 Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 AM

i would consider it at low speeds in a low traffic area. by that i mean a dedicated bike path or trail or quiet recreational area, not a neighbourhood street. and by low speeds i really mean low speeds (like 5 year old with training wheels slow). but in an area like that i'd consider a lot of things to be fine that would be downright dangerous on a regular street with mixed traffic, like riding on handlebars, riding without a helmet, etc. 

in general though, unless i really had no choice, i would never ever consider transporting a child by bike without a trailer or bike seat. biking is pretty unsafe at the best of times, for adults wearing helmets, more so for kids, and even more so for kids strapped to adults.

anyway, if you happen to have an area like that around you, and want to see if it would work, you could probably try it out, but for any kind of regular bike usage, i'd definitely try to get my hands on a bike seat or second hand trailer.

#29 of 65 Old 05-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned

You could try a Weeride. We loved ours. The seat is in front of you, between your seat and the handle bars, and I found I ended up touching DD that way. I liked having her in front of me, and when she fell asleep, she fell forward onto a cushioned support. It was great!

i would never bike with DD in an Ergo. It frequently occurred that I'd get off the bus with DD fast asleep in the mei tai. But I always opted to walk leading the bike home, or woke her up. Not much traffic, and only 30 km/hour speed limit. But I've had falls on my bike in the past (I grew up biking, everyone does in the area, we biked to, to the bus, to after school activities, to grandma's), on safe stretches of the road. All you need is something uneven in the road, or something on the road, or a bit of rain. Easy. And while I never got very injured, imagined what would happen if I and the bike fell on DD?
#30 of 65 Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 PM

It has been shown that degree of damage in a crash is more a factor of how far above the ground your head is when you fall than how fast you are going. I wouldn't do this primarily because the baby would be up so high---think about even just dropping them from that height, much less at any sort of speed.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page