Very small car. Convertable seat? - Mothering Forums
Family Safety > Very small car. Convertable seat?
BubblingBrooks's Avatar BubblingBrooks 09:40 PM 05-29-2011
DD came to us at 3 weeks old (adoption) in an Evenflo infant seat. She is now 14 weeks old, and I just moved the straps to the top position, so I know we are going to have to be getting a bigger seat before we know it.

Now, we have a two door Geo Metro. Superior mileage, so we are keeping it till it dies love.gif
But this complicates the type of seat we will get.
A convertible would be preferred.
Any advise?

Marisa Sanders's Avatar Marisa Sanders 10:44 PM 05-29-2011

Congrats on your new baby, what a blessing!

We drive a 1997 Chevy Cavalier (2-door) and have a Safety First Complete Air rear facing.  It is snug, we can't recline the seats much, or push them too far back (good thing I'm short!) and it is a pain to get DD in and out, but it works.  Had to take it to the local fire department to get the angle right and to get it tight enough.  

I'm with you on keeping the good gas mileage car for as long as it goes- the Crapalier has 192,000 miles and is going strong!  Good luck :)

an_aurora's Avatar an_aurora 11:54 PM 05-29-2011
What is your budget? If a Britax Marathon 70 or Roundabout 55 is doable, I'd go with one if them. They take up little room RF and tether RF.
surrogate's Avatar surrogate 12:44 PM 05-30-2011

Having had a Geo Metro before, i have no clue how you are fitting that evenflo infant seat in there lol!!!  They have to have the handle down, and 1.5" between the handle and the seat in front of it.

I would look toward the new britax seats also.  Very compact, and will last a fairly long time

bobandjess99's Avatar bobandjess99 04:25 PM 05-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrogate View Post

Having had a Geo Metro before, i have no clue how you are fitting that evenflo infant seat in there lol!!!  They have to have the handle down, and 1.5" between the handle and the seat in front of it.

I would look toward the new britax seats also.  Very compact, and will last a fairly long time

I assume you  have the front passenger seat pushed all the way forward, and are sitting in the back with the baby?  Because I can't figure out how else you would do it either.  I'm barely 5 ft tall, and I couldn't sit in the front seat with an infant seat behind me.  

We did use our 2 dr metro with kids sometimes, and the easiest route was just what i just said, push the pass seat all the way forward, and then have the 2nd adult sit behind the driver.  Once we had TWO kids though..we couldnt do that obviously!!!   I was able to get an evenflo titan in there...heightwise, it's about the same as the britaxes that have been mentioned, but hundreds cheaper.  Once the child is older, it actually becomes EASIER to RF , because you can put their seat much more upright.  We used the titan and an alpha omega fairly upright for older babies.   If you can go someplace where you can try out seats, that might be best.  

Up